Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for diet advice for up coming cruise

Hello,

My wife and I are going on a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean. This is great but as you know they serve great food with lots of carbs. Here is my plan - fish and seafood for the Protein, stay away from breads, Pasta, breads, and the dessert bar. Eat small amounts in 4-6 meals...

Ok it sounds good, but have you been on a cruise? This is going to a possible torture test. But my new stomach I sure will quickly remind me if I do some stupid. Any suggestions? Note: I am not taking my Protein shakes or mixer. If I did those suckers would be going overboard.

Another question - Alcoholic drinks... Who can go on cruise or to an island without having a topical drink. Yes, I am going to blow my carb count, and was told not to have alcohol for a year.. So what will happen if I do... I heard that during the first year with your new stomach, that drinking one drink has the affect of drinking 5 drinks. So you will get drunk faster. True? So I just want 1 drink... A day. Anyone have any experiences or suggestions? Just want to have a good ... normal vacation. We leave mid-April. I will let you about any Caribbean gastric stories when I get back....

OK, any recommendations or comments... Thank you...

While I haven't been on a cruise since my sleeve revision (July 2013), I've been on 4 cruises since my lapband in 2009 (3 to Mexico and 1 to Alaska). Actually lost a couple lbs on the first one (make sure u get a patch of Scopolomine from ur dr before leaving otherwise ull learn really quickly IF u get seasick - and by that time, it's too late). I ate whatever I wanted to (including bread, Pasta, rice and Desserts - especially the chocolate melting cake that Carnival specializes in every single nite) and managed to not gain at all. Neither did I lose.

I'm only familiar with Carnival (but I'm sure they're all the same food-wise) but u can eat very healthy while on a cruise. One mistake I made was to eat an 11pm room service dessert nightly. For some reason the room service chocolate cake tastes twice as delish! And u will have plenty of opportunity to work off the all u can eat buffet in port (or if u prefer, the ship has onboard gyms - I saw them once). We always eat Breakfast and dinner in the dining room (seems fancier to me to be served) and lunch either at the buffet or in port. U can get chicken, fish, salads, veggies, fruits, eggs, etc anywhere onboard u may go.

Have fun. Don't overthink it too much - leave the counting at home where it belongs. Looking forward to another (this time Carribean!) cruise this Fall. Are u going Eastern or Western? Carnival or Royal Carribean? Have fun!

Oh and about the alcohol: 1 fancy drink during the whole cruise was enuf for me. Now I have nowhere to store that fancy monkey-head coconut I got my fancy daquiri in!!! I'm not a huge drinker and they're quite pricey onboard...

Thanks MarFar7,

Yes this is a carnival cruise. We are going to the east Caribbean. I been on an Alaskan cruise and loved the food. But this is before my Sleeve... I just wanted to hear how other Sleevers have done on a cruise and get any tips. I will see and let you know how the topical drink goes too. Thank you.

I would love to hear how it goes for you too. My hubby and I are going on a cruise in July. Have fun!

With those drink squirt things. ( Mio, etc ) it's easy to have low sugar or sugar free drink fluids all day.... There's free filtered Water on the ship. I mixed a Mio-type drink with seltzer over crushed ice and stayed happy

I purchased trial sizes of Protein powder and grabbed milk cartons from the Breakfast station and purchased a $1 from dollar store to use to mix any of that in...

If you let them know, Carnival will take out the overpriced Water, soda etc from the room fridge and allow you to use to store your medically necessary items. I explained that I needed it to store medicines and food related to my medical condition. No further questions were asked except if I would need receptacle to dispose of needles (like for diabetic injections)

I had a few alcoholic drinks. Maybe 3 the entire cruise. You will feel the alcohol faster but it seems to wear off just as fast. ( it really doesn't but our post op bodies trick us into thinking it does ) ... Being mindful of that I didn't drink everyday

With most cruises, there are so many opportunities to walk and even more. Water aerobics. Zumba on LIdo deck , the gym. Or just taking the stairs instead of the elevator.

I did a LOT of room service. And I had that chocolate cake every night.

I came home with less than 2 extra pounds that were well earned with no regrets. That's what vacations are for