Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A question post menopause ladies!

Okay so they tell me I am post menopause and half way done. I hurt like he double hockey sticks when we ( hubby ) and me are having sex. I am told by the surgeon that I have to take an estrogen pill each night for 14 days insert into vagina. The 2 times a week there after.

I just got off the phone with my sister who said she had the same thing and took the cream instead and a year later she had breast cancer. Her Doctor said it was most likely caused by the cream...

How does anyone else deal with this if you do. Is it really likely I could get breast cancer from this?

If you have the problem and don't take estrogen for it. What do you take or do?

Now I am concerned about the possibility of cancer. My Surgeon said that the stats have not been conclusive for this type of estrogen studies...So far they have messed up the findings and it has gone in favor so far that woman are not getting cancer this way of taking estrogen because it is not going through the entire body but is directed to one spot...

Anyone!

That does not sound like fun at all!

Have you looked it up on PubMed? If you don't know how send me a PM and I will help.

But regardless - if you are uncomfortable with this choice, investigate alternatives that you are comfortable with. How about KY Jelly or other lubricants?

Did you have this problem before surgery and before you lost a lot of weight? I'm post menopausal but don't have any problems like that. But I still have a lot of fat cells left and I think that's why. Estrogen is stored in fat cells and I have an ample supply of Estrogen in my body if i need it from my fat cells. I'm wondering though if I lose a lot of weight and as my fat cells decrease if my symptoms will occur at that time of low Estrogen. Just wondering. B)

Okay so they tell me I am post menopause and half way done. I hurt like he double hockey sticks when we ( hubby ) and me are having sex. I am told by the surgeon that I have to take an estrogen pill each night for 14 days insert into vagina. The 2 times a week there after.

I just got off the phone with my sister who said she had the same thing and took the cream instead and a year later she had breast cancer. Her Doctor said it was most likely caused by the cream...

How does anyone else deal with this if you do. Is it really likely I could get breast cancer from this?

Now I am concerned about the possibility of cancer. My Surgeon said that the stats have not been conclusive for this type of estrogen studies...So far they have messed up the findings and it has gone in favor so far that woman are not getting cancer this way of taking estrogen because it is not going through the entire body but is directed to one spot...

Anyone!

@RJ'S/beginning Did you have this problem before surgery and the big weight loss? I am also post menapausal for many years but have not had any dryness problems whatsoever nor pain. I attribute that to all the fat cells that i still have as I'm only three weeks out from surgery and have only lost 30 lbs or so. You see woman store estrogen in their fat cells and it is released as needed I believe. I wonder though if I lose a big amount of weight and as my fat cells shrink and then estrogen may be depleted as well. I also wonder if the use of natural plant estrogens would help you. I would talk to my gynecologist more about this if i were you or research the local estrogens on line. I think the local estrogens come with warning labels too.

Btw..... You lost a lot of weight. I'm impressed. I hope I can do as well as you did.... Any tips for what diet you followed to lose so much and how long did it take to lose most of it.... I want so bad to succeed. I'd like the advice of those who have lost an impressive amount of weight. You've lost as much or more than the bypass patients i think. :) I hope you find a solution to your problem here....

Anyone!

I would try astroglide first, and there is the new medication called ophena to look into…

Did you have this problem before surgery and before you lost a lot of weight? I'm post menopausal but don't have any problems like that. But I still have a lot of fat cells left and I think that's why. Estrogen is stored in fat cells and I have an ample supply of Estrogen in my body if i need it from my fat cells. I'm wondering though if I lose a lot of weight and as my fat cells decrease if my symptoms will occur at that time of low Estrogen. Just wondering. B)

Anyone!

No I did not but I did not know that I was post menopausal either. Apparently it happens to every woman at this stage. I would think by now they would have a better collusion. But the surgeon told me the risks of cancer this way is very, very, small.

My sister is sure she got breast cancer from this treatment only she used the cream.

I can already feel a difference when the pill is inserted...Not as painful!

I would try astroglide first, and there is the new medication called ophena to look into…

Yes my sister mentioned this product to me.. I will give it a try. Hope it comes in an extra large tube...lol ;)

Anyone!

If your post menopausal you are likely to have some form of this happen to you as well.... Hate the get older game..Just not fair..Kids gone, more time with hubby and then bang....It isn't working properly and you can't go crazy......dang it anyway! :(

@RJ'S/beginning Did you have this problem before surgery and the big weight loss? I am also post menapausal for many years but have not had any dryness problems whatsoever nor pain. I attribute that to all the fat cells that i still have as I'm only three weeks out from surgery and have only lost 30 lbs or so. You see woman store estrogen in their fat cells and it is released as needed I believe. I wonder though if I lose a big amount of weight and as my fat cells shrink and then estrogen may be depleted as well. I also wonder if the use of natural plant estrogens would help you. I would talk to my gynecologist more about this if i were you or research the local estrogens on line. I think the local estrogens come with warning labels too.

Btw..... You lost a lot of weight. I'm impressed. I hope I can do as well as you did.... Any tips for what diet you followed to lose so much and how long did it take to lose most of it.... I want so bad to succeed. I'd like the advice of those who have lost an impressive amount of weight. You've lost as much or more than the bypass patients i think. :) I hope you find a solution to your problem here....

Anyone!

Try spending 5 months in the hospital due to complications with the sleeve. Leak, septic, 14 surgeries, coma, feeding tube for almost 5 months. Having a Trachea, temperature. Learn to walk again, talk again, write again, eat again, category 5 bed sore. Lost all my hair...I could go on and on.....A total of 87 lbs. went off during that stay. The rest was me working the program. And now I am into exercise...All a slow and painful process to get where I am and to continue...

But I am alive and the world is my oyster and I do not regret one thing that happened to me because I am really alive and finally living after so long in chronic pain...Plus I had a dedicated team that worked with me and still do..... :)

I also have this problem. It is called vaginal atrophy. It is an effect of menopause. Lubricants do help some but there is still pain. Estrogen is not an option for me because of breast cancer issues. I had a hysterectomy 6 years ago at the age of 38, way too young to be facing these kinds of issues. lol The best lubricant I have found is made by Poise, it isn't greasy and gross and really does help. I have been thinking of asking my doc about Orphena. If it works it would be awesome. Good luck!

<p>Okay so they tell me I am post menopause and half way done. I hurt like he double hockey sticks when we ( hubby ) and me are having sex. I am told by the surgeon that I have to take an estrogen pill each night for 14 days insert into vagina. The 2 times a week there after.</p> <p> </p> <p>I just got off the phone with my sister who said she had the same thing and took the cream instead and a year later she had breast cancer. Her Doctor said it was most likely caused by the cream...</p> <p> </p> <p>How does anyone else deal with this if you do. Is it really likely I could get breast cancer from this?</p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p>If you have the problem and don't take estrogen for it. What do you take or do?</p> <p> </p> <p>Now I am concerned about the possibility of cancer. My Surgeon said that the stats have not been conclusive for this type of estrogen studies...So far they have messed up the findings and it has gone in favor so far that woman are not getting cancer this way of taking estrogen because it is not going through the entire body but is directed to one spot...</p> <p> </p> <p>Anyone!</p>

I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago. I take estradiol 1mg pills. No dryness or hot flashes. I too was worried about cancer so I stopped. Had serious dryness and hot flash issues. Started taking it again and all is well. Dr said I can take it for 10 yrs.

I have been prescribed Vagifem 10 any trouble for any of you with this product..

​So far my pain has lessened some...... :)

I used vagifem at first when I first got vaginal atrophy. I did a lot of research on bioidentical hormones because I was not ready to give up on sex yet. I've been taking progesterone that is compounded for me by a compounding pharmacy and my estrogen comes from a patch that I change once a week.

My mom had breast cancer but my doctor does not feel there is a risk with bioidentical hormones. She said the stuidies they did were on Premerin which is made from horse urine.

At 61 years old, I know exactly what you are talking about! I have been taking Osphena for the past nine months and it has made a big difference. In fact, I don't really need lubricants anymore, which has made both of us very happy. The only down side has been a huge increase in hot flashes, something a really didn't have much trouble with before. All things taken into consideration, I will keep taking the Osphena. My OB-Gyn gave me a card from the manufacturer that limits the cost. I do have very good insurance, but it was free the first month and then limited the co-pay to $35 for the next five months. With my insurance I pay $50/month now. Sorry I don't know the cost without insurance.