Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all!

I'm just shy of 4 weeks post-op (sleeved Feb 19), and as I have progressed from pureeds to soft protiens and now into some more solid regular foods, I wanted to see how some of you coped with the learning curve that seems to come with navigating the new plumbing.

There's a TMI alert that comes with this, so read at you own peril! B)

I've probably had a half dozen incidents where either I have had one bite too many, ate maybe a touch too quickly, or just ate something too rich or too fatty-- or maybe a combo platter of these things. What usually results is a mouthful of sudden saliva, a little dizziness, and after a quick jaunt to the bathroom, it's followed by really slimy vomit, almost a mix of vomit and even more saliva. It's not a violent puking at all, in fact it's rather gentle compared to, say, a real ralph-fest from partying too hard from back in the day. I've had ti happen to me at a restaurant and even once while I was driving (thank goodness I had an empty cup in my car or that could have gotten UG-LEE. :blink: )

So my dilemma is navigating this learning curve-- trying to read the signs my body gives me that I've had enough to eat. Many times I am good at picking up on that. Sometimes, not so much, and my sleeve lets me know in the rudest way possible.

I am sure this has got to be one of the speedbumps on the way to our 'new normal', right?

I'm 2/18 and have found that I have to eat slowly and chew thoroughly. The worst I've had is just a bad stomach ache.

Yeah, I've had the "vomits" a couple of times but luckily I haven't experienced froathing (the thick saliva) yet and I'm hoping that I get to skip that little bit of bariatric uniqueness. Once I semi-violently burp, I know my pouch has had enough. The funny thing is though that when I barf, it's not because I'm full, it's because something didn't agree with me somehow. I can eat something completely fine today but if I try to eat that same thing tomorrow, my pouch rejects it and send it back toward the light. One time some chicken came back so fast I almost didn't have time to get my hands up to catch it and I was only literally six steps from the bathroom. Needless to say that "eating-out" is off the table for a while. It's definitely a learning curve and one that I'm sure we'll be learning for a few years out.

Edited by SlowlybutSurely

Congratulatons on your successful surgery!

You'll hear folks refer to the "slimies" It sound like that to me. It happend to me once, and that was enough. A few bites too many, and very uncomfortable.

You're still early out so it is trickier, but I measured everything. The first 6 weeks or so, it was only a few ounces. Even today at 15 months out, I tend to measure out most things. Portion Control was a major issue for me, so this helps getting and staying in good habits. Also, slowing down does help. Give yourself time to adjust to the new normal. Different foods also will sit differently and you'll be able to have more of some things than others. Dense Protein, grains, Pasta etc. are all things i can eat less of. In the meantime, stop and wait when you have a few bites left and see how you feel. Protein first, to ensure you are getting in enough for energy, then the other stulff if you feel you have room and it fits in your plan.

Best of luck!

i'm not saying your portions may be too big, but just in case here is a suggestion...I carry a small 4 oz, (1/2cup), container in my car and my purse. That way I can always portion out my food or at least can eyeball it truthfully. It doesn't look like alot, but it is suffient and I have never expirienced the vomitting, watery mouth, or other commonly discussed symptoms I read about in here. I also ask fo a to go container as soon as I get my meal if i'm out and portion the remaining out in the 1/2 cups after I get home. If I'm having more than one item, I will devide my food into 2oz Protein and 2oz veggies or side dish.I have also noticed I definately have to eat slower. I hope all gets a little smoother for you as I'm sure it will for all of us. Maybe I need to get used to shying away for the 1/2 cup measuring and see if I can pick up on my body signals better. : )

i agree it sounds like "the slimes" i have never expierenced that myself and i have only vomited once after eating something very acidic early out. jersey girl gave great advice. youll find that different things sit differently. if i eat too fast or too much i get a sensation that it is stuck in my throat. it usually takes about an hour before i start to feel better.

take it very slowly. set a timer for yourself to eat an try to put down your fork between bites. at 4 months out i cook for my family but i find i am more comfortable eating by myself. i feel like i rush when other people are around.

Hello truck,

Congrats one making it beyond full liquids. I'm only 1 wk out but my doc spoke of this. This first part with sweats/dizziness is dumping syndrome which is usually the result of high carbs/sugars. The slime could be from the timing between your food & drink. My doc said if you have liquid too close to food it can literally back up into your mouth. Not sure if that helps. I've been trying to train myself to have nothing to drink 30 mins before through 30 mins after food.

Ps I can't wait it have food :)

I've been a little uncomfortable a few times but have never "crossed the line" yet. I try to undereat my sleeve.