Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How have your close friends reacted to your weight loss?

I have a group of about 5 friends from high school. We don't all get together often (conflicting schedules, life and distance) but we're all very close and each others support network through big life changes. (Ie: marriage, first child being born, death of a family member, graduating college, buying a new house, etc).

Hence my confusion why they have been the only ones who don't seem to notice my weight loss. Now bear in mind I have lost almost 60lbs and unlike my parents, coworkers, husband and other friends who see me more often (and notice I'm smaller) i would think my decreasing waist line would be most noticeable to my group.

Heck, when my husband took a picture of me on his cell phone two days ago and showed me I gasped at how much smaller I am. I kept staring at the picture sure that it wasn't me or that my head had been photoshopped onto a thin woman's body (lol).

Anyway how have your close friends reacted to your weight loss(and about how much have you lost)? I figured my heavier friends might not mention it because they are self conscious of their own weight, but two of my friends are very thin (like a sz 8 and sz 6) and they haven't said anything either. I started to wonder if maybe they never saw me as "fat" and just as myself, so that's why no one notices my weight, or if they notice and feel weird saying anything.

Edited by Comfy_Blue

My friends tell me I look good and they are thinner. I am interested to see what happens when I pass them on the scale. I hope they will still be happy for me!

If your friends dont know about the surgery they might be hesitant on saying anything because maybe they think your sick or something.

I have a group of about 5 friends from high school. We don't all get together often (conflicting schedules, life and distance) but we're all very close and each others support network through big life changes. (Ie: marriage, first child being born, death of a family member, graduating college, buying a new house, etc). Hence my confusion why they have been the only ones who don't seem to notice my weight loss. Now bear in mind I have lost almost 60lbs and unlike my parents, coworkers, husband and other friends who see me more often (and notice I'm smaller) i would think my decreasing waist line would be most noticeable to my group. Heck, when my husband took a picture of me on his cell phone two days ago and showed me I gasped at how much smaller I am. I kept staring at the picture sure that it wasn't me or that my head had been photoshopped onto a thin woman's body (lol). Anyway how have your close friends reacted to your weight loss(and about how much have you lost)? I figured my heavier friends might not mention it because they are self conscious of their own weight, but two of my friends are very thin (like a sz 8 and sz 6) and they haven't said anything either. I started to wonder if maybe they never saw me as "fat" and just as myself, so that's why no one notices my weight, or if they notice and feel weird saying anything.

Hi well most of my circle of friends have been very supportive. However, I do have a friend that. Has struggled with it since day one. She is very competitive and now larger than I am. I will never forget the day she said "Now I am going to be the fattest one in the group" that was sad. I honestly have done everything I can to help her adjust. However, she has to get comfortable in her own skin. We remain friends. But, we are not as close as we used to be. Sad, truly. Sad.

I'm happy to hear that most of your friends have been supportive. Not sure if my friends think I'm sick or not. Looking at pictures of me "then" and "now" I feel like I look a lot healthier. I have more energy and I feel more bubbly. Hopefully it's just the awkward thing and not that they aren't happy for me

I have friends who are very supportive and friends who are not at all. Ultimately, it doesn't matter in the end. Your happiness should not be determined by their compliments. I learned that the hard way.

My closest friends don’t say much honestly but they know me and the constant comments on it become annoying.
When I try on new things and such they say yeah that looks good you look great etc but its not a constant and I am happy with that.
Family members keep making positive comments every time they see me which was at least weekly and as nice as they are being its soooo annoying to constantly hear I am almost 2 years out stop already lol
Think of it this way did these friends constantly say wow your fat hey have you put on weight since last time, oh looks whos bigger this month!
No? bet not as people don’t make these comments so it’s the same thing they don’t constantly draw attention to it if at all because its not needed and might be uncomfortable to hear, maybe you will be like so why didn’t you say I was so big before!
You never know how people will react to sensitive things like weight.

Was you smaller when you was younger? If so this group may only remember you at that weight and in their minds you was never 'big' so there is nothing to comment on.