Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questionable post op diet

I'm having my surgery on the 31st but one of my friends just had her surgery Thursday by the same doctor. She sent me a pic of her meal in the hospital from today (2 days post op) and they have her on puréed food. She had carrots, potatoes and an egg. Isn't that a bit soon?? I'm concerned after all the research I've done. Anyone experience this?

Yeah that seems weird. I got 1/2 cup of apple juice, 1/2 cup of gatoraid and 1/2 cup of tea. On the 2nd day. The 3 rd day I got a little chick. broth.

I barely drank any of that btw.

How odd! I left the hospital on full liquids, but my good friend went home on clear only. I feel my surgeon is quit liberal, too. He doesn't make me take chewable vitamins anymore, and my pre-op diet was regular food, not liquids only. Your friend's diet is pretty unusual!

Seems a little too fast toe, but my doctor is a bit conservative.

I was allowed 1 oz of clear liquid every hour when I was in the hospital.

YES SHould be liquids for 2 week ish!! Protein shakes etc,. Then puree then food.

HMMM everywhere is different but that one is a bit off.

Chris

These were my instructions, and my recovery went extremely well. I followed it to the extreme. I had no issues during the process. I feel this progression was perfect. At each stage my stomach was ready to take the food allowed. At certain points I felt I could have progressed faster but I resisted the temptation. Now I am 3 months out and can eat almost anything with no issues.

Post op

1-2 Clear Liquids

3-21 Full liquids

22-35 pureed

36+ Soft Regular Diet

My postop diet was similar to your friend's, Tanya. I was on Clear Liquids in the hospital and my first day home, I started puréed foods. I was really upset at first, thinking I had gone through all of this and was going to fail. My husband assured me that I trusted this doctor enough to operate on me and I should trust him enough to follow his postop instructions. I stayed off the boards because everyone else was still on liquids and our diets were so different and it made me depressed.

I'm now on all soft Proteins. I can eat any meat, cheese, or eggs. No carbs. I can't even have veggies or fruits yet and no cream Soups or pudding or anything like that.

I was sleeved on 2/17. I lost 18 lbs preop and have lost another 20.5 since surgery bringing my total to 38.5 in just over a month. I trusted my dr and I'm doing great! My energy level is off the charts for me and I am seeing cellulite disappear from all over my body.

I doubted my surgeon's methods and I was wrong! I hope this helps you feel a little better. :)

My surgery is the first week of April, and the doctor has her patients eating mushy foods by the time they go home. she said it is because the more solid the food, the better able the sleeve can tell whether something is actually in there and that's what It needs to tell your brain your full.

Do what your doctor tells you. She has been doing things this way and I am sure if it was not working for her patients, she would have them sound something different. All doctors do it different and I personally think some of them are way too strict.

That does sound different! I was strictly on clear liquids in hospital, then full liquid, which included cream of wheat, yogurt, too. The nut section stated full liquid until week 5, but my surgeon put me on soft food at my 2 wk check. This particular hospital doesn't have a pureed diet period per say. With the soft food, everything is chew, chew, chew!

My whole time in hospital I was given tea and warm Water (as cold hurt) and warm peppermint oil and Water mix that’s it not even broth lol
Not that I would have had the broth anyway I could barely do a cup of water a day and a full cup of tea and that was sipping about 2 tablespoons at a time and being done till next time I was told drink drink!
They actually took me off the iv day 2 in the morning and put me back on it late in the evening.
I personally don’t know how anyone can do food so close out you just feel like crap anyway so don’t even want the food but there is no possible way I could of eaten any food at all even if it was put in front of me.

Thanks all. I'm a bit less concerned seeing others who were on pureed when they left the hospital.

She sent me a pic of her meal yesterday and there was a piece of braised beef there. I thought that was again, too soon.

I will follow the surgeon's orders for sure but I just wish the practices of the surgeons for this surgery were a bit more standardized across the board.

14 days left!!

Edited by aNewTanya

That does seem a lil too soon to me too, but again if that's what the doc wants.... I was sleeved on 2/24 and there is so much that my sleeve dislikes so kudos to her if she can eat it cuz I'd love a piece of meat! Lol

I was on full liquids for the first 7 days. After that I switched to soft foods. No puréed food for me. This was my surgeons instructions.