Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

I called the PA yesterday and told her about my .1 fill. She talked to the billing lady and I am going in at 1pm today for another fill at no charge. I would not be surprised if I have no Fluid in my band. I swear I can eat almost as much as I could w/out any fill. I will update later.

Manatee- You look great how you are! Are you working out a ton? Talk about extreme makeover! I can't wait until my after pictures look that good. Can you tell me what you eat in a typical day. I must be doing something wrong............

Manatee...

You look great!

Lately I've had people ask me if I'm at my goal, I want to look at them and say "are you kidding, can't you see my butt!" I want to loose another 20#'s. I think people look at my face (and even my torso) and see such a change that they think I'm done. I'm the one who sees the saddlebags hangin' there. Thank God we all wear clothes...hides a multitude of "sins". All this to say, sometimes we concentrate on the negetive and God bless those who see our possitives! Go for healthy, both in body and mind. We need feel comfortable in our own body, as long as we are in a healthy mental state we know when we feel good.

Did you ever dream you'd be debating if you're loosing too much? What a great dilemma!

Sue

I had lost .2 cc's, and she gave me .2 more than the doc did. So I have a total of .4cc's more than I did this morning. I am on liquids for 24hrs. My first meal will be in the suite at the MAVS game tomorrow night. Hopefully I don't embarass myself. I can feel Water gurgle as it goes down???

Back from the revision surgery. I'm sore, but home and alive. Too tired to say much more.

Hang in there, you'll feel MUCHO better tomorrow...congrats to have it all behind you. :)

Hi all. It's been a while since I've posted in this forum, but I still lurk and I've been reading about all of your successes and struggles. I posted some of this in another forum. I hope no one is offended that I c&p some of it. I haven't talked about my experience much. I haven't wanted to focus on the negative, I've been trying to stay focused on the positive. In addition, I haven't wanted to scare away any newbies. I know my situation is not the norm. But, right now, I'm really feeling isolated and feel the need to reach out.

I was banded May 21, 2007.

After my first fill I had a stitch rip through, or at least this is what we think happened. It caused an abscess near my band that became infected. The infection leaked into my abdominal cavity and spread to my liver. I ended up in the hospital for 12 days, I had surgery for the abscess, and had a portion of my liver removed. I also had two blood transfusions in the process.

OK... this was horrible but as far as I knew and from what the docs could tell, this was a fluke. We kept my band in, and I was excited for that. Going into surgery, I was fairy convinced it would need to come out.

Well, several months later I began having a similar abdominal pain. Into the ER I went. Sure enough, I had another stomach abscess and infection. Therefore, another surgery. This time, however, they also discovered erosion of the band.... as if everything else wasn't enough. Of course, this time there was no question my band was coming out. This time I spent another 9 days in the hospital.

It's been two weeks since I've been home from the hospital this time. It's all starting to sink in and I'm not sure I'm handling it well at all. I paid cash for my lap-band. Myself and my family had to make a lot of sacrifices to be able to get it. We even had to move to a smaller home, further away from my childrens school, in order to pay for it. And now, with all of the complications, there have more and more medical bills piling up. I'm very frustrated. I feel like I've been cheated. I had so many hopes that this was the answer.... and short-term it was. I feel like I've been stripped of something that was a part of me. What were all of these sacrifices for?

I've gained 7 pounds since I've been home from the hospital. I've been making an effort to try to eat the way I should, and honestly, I'm working out more now (2 weeks from being out of the hospital) than I did most of the time I had the band. I'm scared of gaining all the weight back.... and I can see it happening, it is happening, and I'm not sure what I can do about it. Those around me (of course, none have been banded) tell me to not to worry, to eat better and that I'll be fine. Well, you know what? I'm trying, but come on. If I could eat to lose weight, wouldn't I have done that in the first place? I don't want to become the person I used to be. I feel like I have no control. Physically I am hungry all the time. Who can live on Protein Shakes? I'm trying, but it's not working.

Thanks for listening to my story. If anyone has been in a similar situation or can offer any advice, I'd love to hear it. I really appreciate you all.

S Elaine...

So sorry to hear things have gone so wrong. I wish I could offer advice, but all I really have are my prayers.

Sue

I am so sorry for your troubles! You have been through so much! The bright side is that you have your health back....that is what this is all about. I know it sounds easy to say look on the bright side because you have every reason to be bitter but.....if you let it get to you then you suffer much longer.

I am sure that I speak for all of us on here when I say.... I wish there was something I could do to help.

Lot of hugs.....Maureen

Ok...so I have been gone for a couple of weeks.....work has been busy and well home has been even more hectic.

Manatee....you are TOO skinny for my taste....men need to have some weight on them. Women like to fell small in a mans arms. I would feel HUGE next to you and I am 170 lbs. Just my opinion....you look great....you feel great....and I guess the truth is can you get any lower and maintain.

Selain,

I am truely sorry for all your troubles. All I can say is that I will keep you in my prayers and maybe something good is to come of all this. Keep your chin up!

On another note I must inform you all that I am pregnant....just found out 2 days ago. I am only 3 weeks and I am due in November. I am very excited and happy and well my kids and husband are more than I am. So now I wonder what to do.....I know I have to get unfilled but when is the right time??? Maybe I wont gain 60 lbs with this pregnancy.

Sandra

255h/242s/170c/165g

yay!! Sandra congrats!!! Very happy for you! I'm not gonna be too far behind you.... We are also trying!!!!

Hi all. It's been a while since I've posted in this forum, but I still lurk and I've been reading about all of your successes and struggles. I posted some of this in another forum. I hope no one is offended that I c&p some of it. I haven't talked about my experience much. I haven't wanted to focus on the negative, I've been trying to stay focused on the positive. In addition, I haven't wanted to scare away any newbies. I know my situation is not the norm. But, right now, I'm really feeling isolated and feel the need to reach out.

I was banded May 21, 2007.

After my first fill I had a stitch rip through, or at least this is what we think happened. It caused an abscess near my band that became infected. The infection leaked into my abdominal cavity and spread to my liver. I ended up in the hospital for 12 days, I had surgery for the abscess, and had a portion of my liver removed. I also had two blood transfusions in the process.

OK... this was horrible but as far as I knew and from what the docs could tell, this was a fluke. We kept my band in, and I was excited for that. Going into surgery, I was fairy convinced it would need to come out.

Well, several months later I began having a similar abdominal pain. Into the ER I went. Sure enough, I had another stomach abscess and infection. Therefore, another surgery. This time, however, they also discovered erosion of the band.... as if everything else wasn't enough. Of course, this time there was no question my band was coming out. This time I spent another 9 days in the hospital.

It's been two weeks since I've been home from the hospital this time. It's all starting to sink in and I'm not sure I'm handling it well at all. I paid cash for my lap-band. Myself and my family had to make a lot of sacrifices to be able to get it. We even had to move to a smaller home, further away from my childrens school, in order to pay for it. And now, with all of the complications, there have more and more medical bills piling up. I'm very frustrated. I feel like I've been cheated. I had so many hopes that this was the answer.... and short-term it was. I feel like I've been stripped of something that was a part of me. What were all of these sacrifices for?

I've gained 7 pounds since I've been home from the hospital. I've been making an effort to try to eat the way I should, and honestly, I'm working out more now (2 weeks from being out of the hospital) than I did most of the time I had the band. I'm scared of gaining all the weight back.... and I can see it happening, it is happening, and I'm not sure what I can do about it. Those around me (of course, none have been banded) tell me to not to worry, to eat better and that I'll be fine. Well, you know what? I'm trying, but come on. If I could eat to lose weight, wouldn't I have done that in the first place? I don't want to become the person I used to be. I feel like I have no control. Physically I am hungry all the time. Who can live on Protein Shakes? I'm trying, but it's not working.

Thanks for listening to my story. If anyone has been in a similar situation or can offer any advice, I'd love to hear it. I really appreciate you all.

Selain, this is so hard, I feel your pain, but don't know what to say to offer any advice. I would make sure and talk to your surgeon and get his advice, he may suggest another surgery such as a bypass or other ??

Since you had so many issues and if he does do other types of surgeries, maybe he can offer you a break ? I know how frustrating it is to be on this board and seeing everyone else so happy and losing like crazy and it isn't happening for you because that's my story, but as far as having such a major disaster as you have experienced x2, I can see how you feel so isolated and alone. I would spend some time doing some research and get a couple of opinions from different sources and then make an informed decision from there. I wish you the best.

Renee

Sigh. Truth in Tickers, I finally had to admit and adjust upwards. I managed to keep it under 175 the whole month I was unfilled, but have ballooned up since the surgery on Wed. I know it will come back off and it's just Water weight, but it's certainly no fun to increase the number on the ticker :crying:

Manatee....glad you are feeling better, don't worry about the scale fpr now...just heal!! You will be right back on track before you know it.

Sandra....congratulations. I am so happy for you!! Keep us posted along the way.

Manatee-

As hard as it may be, try not to get on the scale for a week. Remember all the Water weight from the IV's and the bloating from the gas they pump in you. Besides that you can't eat solids for a month. You will knock off that weight really fast. You are in my prayers!