Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

I havent been taking my Vitamins either. When I had my bloodwork done everything came back within normal range but the nutritionist wanted me to take a B12 supplement. I'm very against taking unnecessary meds...at one point in my life I was taking 5 different meds a day.. I'm down to just one now (the wellbutrin).

I did end up adding 1 Protein Shake (for breakfast) a day... and it seems to be helping with my calorie intake. But still for whatever reason I'm going thru the hairloss stage. This morning there looked like there was a shrunken head in the drain!!! I'm getting pleanty of protein.. but I've heard that sometimes this still happens around 3 months out. Has anyone else heard this?

Hey everyone! I just stopped in to say that all is well here. I actually am about to have my very first fill tomorrow. the first appointment was cancelled because of a car wreck and the second appointment was cancelled because of a death in my surgeon's family.....they say third time is a charm so hopefully all goes well tomorrow. i am sooooo nervous! i have gotten very comfortable again with my new way of eating and it is going to change some after tomorrow. i will have to go to even smaller bites and probably less variety. i know it's for the best though. i have managed to lose 38 pounds without a fill and my docs office is very happy about that one.

i just got a new hairstyle on friday and everyone can't stop saying how gorgeous i look.....it's kind of going to my head:) i'm not used to it! anyway, i am sooooo glad i did this surgery. i have a new hope in life!!!

about the hairloss, Melissa, I have heard the 3 month thing too. I haven't personally had any major problems yet though. i do take my Vitamins and Calcium very faithfully.....don't know if that makes a difference??? i hope everything balances back out for you. good luck.

I'm back from the Dr. and I did have a loss! Only 2 pounds, but I'll take it! As long as the downward trend continues, I'm happy! :lol:

Congrats on your jeans, girls!! I haven't owned a pair of jeans in a looong time, but I intend to get some when I get toward goal! Those stretchy ones sound nice.

Oh, and even my husband commented that he can tell I've lost weight! The reason that is even mentionable is that he has really never said anything when I gained OR lost weight. Smart guy I've got. *nods* But for him to say it now really made me smile. He no longer has to be careful!!

Keep going everybody! We can do this!

Has anyone gotten negative reactions from family and friends because you are loosing weight???? I didnt tell my husbands family for fear of them being ugly to me about it......since I am the biggest one in the family. The rest of them are heavy but not as heavy as I WAS!! Well know that I have lost some noticable weight I am getting some nasty remarks.....even some friends that I was open about having the band dont want to talk to me anymore. Its like they could be my friend if we were both fat but now that the weight is coming off she wants nothing to do with me. I am quite sad....I never judge anyone.......I would be happy if a friend or family were loosing weight and feeling great! People are weird....I dont understand.

Sandra

255h/242s/205c/165g

That's a real shame, Sandra. I can't even begin to understand that mentality. I have heard others here complain of the same thing, though. For myself, I've lost and gained so many times, they would have stopped talking to me one time or another over the years, but never have. This time should be no different.

I have gotten so many different responses....so are happy for me and supportive. Then others are negative that I had the surgery and they dont think its worth it! Then I have the ones that say ....you've lost 37 lbs.....well you still have a long way to go before you are then!!! The sad part is that they are NOT thin!!! UUUUGGGG !!! I wish I could tell them at least I now have a long neck and a jaw line.....they only have FAT NECKS....or actually NO NECKS AT ALL!!!LOL

Sandra

255h/242s/205c/165g

Sandra

I have not told anyone in my family about being banded... and have not heard any nasty weight loss comments... but I will PM you a little story about last time I lost weight....

GGRRRRR... PM isnt working...

Ok... this is a long story.. but I'll try to sum it up the best I can.

Exactly 2 years ago I lost about 30 or so lbs (do not know the exact amount as I was allergic to scales..however it was when I bought those seven jeans I am now back into)... anyhow I was in a very nasty situation with my ex bestfriend/ex roommate/ ex friends...

I was working out about 4-5 times a week, eating right and stayed away from alcohol and the weight came off quite fast. Around this same time I started talking to my now fiance... very nice guy, sending me flowers and such - I was very happy and had every reason to be. I had a job I loved, lost weight and felt wonderful and had a great man in my life. Needless to say the 3 girls who I hung out with on a regular basis felt the need to poke fun at everything behind my back.

The first straw with the one girl "J" was when she came on to my dad.. which is a HUGE no-no in my book... Me and my dad are very close and what she did was completely unacceptable (and made my dad feel very uncomfortable, which is hard to do.. he's a very laid back and joking kind of guy).. well, I confronted her about this and told her until she got herself together (this girl had/has MAJOR mental and substance abuse issues) I wanted nothing to do with her. Well, the other girls "M" and "A" rallied around "J" and decided to gang up against me.. all this time "M" and I shared a house ..which my daughter lived in also.

It started with little comments here and there, mostly behind my back - which I found out about and turned into basically harrassing me via myspace. My last straw was when "M" began to treat my daughter badly. Right away I gave our landlord notice that I was moving out. The harrassing continued for months afterwords.

The thing is that all 3 of these girls have/had their own weight issues.. even if at the time they were of normal size. "M" would pop every diet pill and jump on every trend that came out.. liquid diets, prescription pills, over the counter pills... and wouldnt lose anything. "A" had an eating disorder so bad that she had a social worker assigned to her...and was still popping pills and making herself throw up... and "J" was the worst of them all... she went from a size 8 to size 18 in no time b/c of medication... but dropped to a size 0 once she became a coke addict. Her husband left her and both her children's fathers filed for sole custody... not to mention all the diet pill popping she did/still does. Funny, b/c they all had nerve to poke fun at my weight...

After looking back on everything I came to realize it was all jealosy that fueled the conflict. They were all fine with being my friend as long as I was the heavy one - the one who was always depressed or fat. The fact that I was slimming down and in a healthy relationship and was HAPPY for the first time in years just killed them.

I'm SO much better off without them.

So, basically what I'm telling you is this= all the people who make harsh comments about you losing weight ... or dont want to be your friend all of a sudden now that you are slimming down are jealous. Sad for them... its their loss.. you seem like a GREAT person!!

Well evidently I was overfilled. I had my third fill three weeks ago (up to 1.5 cc measurable)and the day after I wasn't feeling very well. I had a hard time getting anything down or keeping it down. This went on for a week and a half and finally I was able to eat. Well this weekend I couldn't eat anything and keep it down. So I called my doctor and they were able to work me in this afternoon. The PA took out the.5 cc that she put in last time and told me to see how that works and come back next week (like I was already scheduled to) and she'll put back around .25 cc. All I know is I was very miserable during this time, but the good news is that I lost 4 lbs during the ordeal. The PA told me that most people that are too restricted tend to gain weight...

I hope everyone is having a good week.

Melissa!!

OMG!! Thats a lot of drama!! I think it is jealousy!! I am just gonna get all cute and thin and prance around in front of them w/ there FAT NECKS!! lol!!!

Sandra

255h/242s/205c/165g

agchick, isnt that strange?

I worry that i wont get a fill this next visit (here in about 11 days). I fly down from northern maine to south texas. I have a great surgeon and nutritionalist ive kept in contact with, but one week i'll be loose and have to struggle with losing or maintaining wieght...then i start my TOM and bingo! im snug as it can get.

My losing has been soooooo slooooowwww, and i EXCERCISE!!!

agchick, isnt that strange?

I worry that i wont get a fill this next visit (here in about 11 days). I fly down from northern maine to south texas. I have a great surgeon and nutritionalist ive kept in contact with, but one week i'll be loose and have to struggle with losing or maintaining wieght...then i start my TOM and bingo! im snug as it can get.

My losing has been soooooo slooooowwww, and i EXCERCISE!!!

What do you mean you start your TOM?

HA.. yup.. let them be happy with their fat necks! Remember you are the better person.. you have done NOTHING wrong... you are trying to better your life by getting healthy!! Nothing wrong with that!!

Well. Wendy & I are back from our fills. I've got 2.4cc now, and I sure hope I feel something, the stomach growls where getting pretty intense, I'm so sick of being HUNGRY!

I reallized this morning as I was preparing broth that I really don't miss the liquids, even just 2 days seems so long. Maybe it's just flashbacks of the 7 weeks of misery. I hope I never have to do that again! Then again, I think it's the curiosity of wanting to feel it work, knowing that I don't have to be so hungry. I'm anxious to try food!

OK Weazer and Melissa, I feel your pain. My two girls are getting ready to leave me for college again. I know lots of people say they can't wait for their kids to go back to school or leave the nest, but not me. I really miss them. Last year my youngest started college. It was devastating at first. I did get used to it, but barely. She actually worked at the hospital with me this summer (she's studying to be a nurse), so the rides in are going to be lonely. Today was her last weekday to ride in with me (boo hoo). Oh well, I need to look at this as another chapter in my life. My oldest will graduate from college in December, and she's around now and then, so I have to look on the bright side, they're never far, it's just different.

Thanks for listening. I'll probably go cry in a cup of tea!! (with splenda, of course)

Cindy