Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Serious Question; Overracting or Right to Be Upset

Ok so I have NOT met my Bariatric surgeon. Since I'm going through the Veterans Affairs Hospital I have to accept/use whatever one they have on staff.

The day of my Ok so I have NOT met my Bariatric surgeon. Since I'm going through the Veterans Affairs Hospital I have to accept/use whatever one they have on staff.

The day of my first consultation I was running 15mins behind schedule but called to let them know. Only the PA was there. Said he had to go to surgery. I understood because I was late therefore at blame.

IVC Filter placenta consultation I was running 15mins behind schedule but called to let them know. Only the PA was there. Said he had to go to surgery. I understood because I was late therefore at blame.

IVC Filter placement. He was the doctor of record but wouldn't be doing the procedure. I got to meet the vascular doc in OR.

Pre-Opt Anesthesia Evaluation

I was told Ill meet him by his PA. Nope...,

Surgery Day

After asking numerous times about when do I meet him I was told that day I would. He sent a resident and medical student down to explain everything to me. They said I'll met him downstairs. No problem that's how I met the neck doc.

I meet the very friendly, informative great bedside manner anesthesiologist. He pushed me to OR introduced me to the personnel that were there. Guess who wasn't among them? Yes, Dr. K! It was said he was on his way. They put a mask on me but I didn't know that was the one for The Cocktail since I was still alert for a few mins waiting to me the "Good Doctor". Next thing I know I'm being woke by a nurse. I asked for Dr. K and got he had another surgery immediately afterwards. All yesterday whenever I ask I got the same answer told differently.

Finally this morning I had enough when they sent the medical student by herself. I brought my issue up with her and she of course justified all this as Normal and how the VA work etc. In the end she wrote it down to speak to a resident about.

Now can someone PLEASE tell me whether or not I'm Overracting?! Would I let it go or by brought it up immediately?

So you never met the doctor who performed your surgery? I would be beside myself! Definitely complain!

So you never met the doctor who performed your surgery? I would be beside myself! Definitely complain!

Not once. Kept being told I would but never did. I'm glad someone else consider this a big deal and Not just This is how it is! The nurses and other medical "professionals" try to down play it as This is "The VA" like that is an excuse for patient dissatisfaction!

Well, I just had surgery and went through the whole process. I have to be honest, the rest of the support system in place gave me more information than the surgeon did. Don't get me wrong, my surgeon did a phenomenal job......but I still kind of view him as the specific part of the process who actually did the deed itself, so I was comfortable with his support team( PA,nurses,etc) handling all my other needs and questions.

I didn't know the VA did this surgery. I am a veteran of the cold war but am blessed with health insurance through my job.

Yes, I would be very upset at having surgery without meeting the surgeon first!

Jeez, why is it acceptable for this type of unprofessionalism towards veterans which would NEVER be acceptable towards non-veterans?

Secondly, the surgeon is performing a medical procedure ON YOUR BODY without actually meeting you first? What the frack?

I wish you the best in your recovery.

Blessings,

Kahleen

I agree... with the fact that the doctor should have spent 5 minutes to at least say "hello"...geez and secondly and, maybe most important (to me).... is that our Vets always deserve better treatment than they receive!!! It breaks my heart! A dear friend has many problems and has to go to the Vet hospital HOURS away to be treated, which is ridiculous, especially in his condition. I am not going to get on my soap box about this...but y'all know what I am talking about :(

Well, I just had surgery and went through the whole process. I have to be honest, the rest of the support system in place gave me more information than the surgeon did. Don't get me wrong, my surgeon did a phenomenal job......but I still kind of view him as the specific part of the process who actually did the deed itself, so I was comfortable with his support team( PA,nurses,etc) handling all my other needs and questions.

All that would be fine and expected but at least u got to meet your surgeon. As for his PA, haven't seen her since consultation. To be honest I don't care if I do or don't. I'm not naive I know nurses and residents are whom u deal with mostly at the hospital. This is not my first stay. But I do Know surgeons have a responsibility to not treat there patients with disregard. Some respect is given automatically.

I didn't know the VA did this surgery. I am a veteran of the cold war but am blessed with health insurance through my job. Yes, I would be very upset at having surgery without meeting the surgeon first! Jeez, why is it acceptable for this type of unprofessionalism towards veterans which would NEVER be acceptable towards non-veterans? Secondly, the surgeon is performing a medical procedure ON YOUR BODY without actually meeting you first? What the frack? I wish you the best in your recovery. Blessings, Kahleen

Thanks Kahleen so much. Its not about demanding the attending doctor because I feel like I deserve special treatment. It is unprofessional not to guarantee an opportunity to meet a patient whose body you already operated on! I'm going to forget the disrespect in not meeting him BEFORE surgery. Yes

Yes The VA Medical offer it to veterans that've been receiving their primary health care from them for at least a year. Then you can ask your PCP about their MOVE program or he/she may offer u info on it. It's a weight loss program. I did it for 3 months then ask their nutritionist info on their Bariatric Program. She scheduled u for a seminar. Their u get more info and the Bariatric coordinator contact info. One u loose your 15% she schedule a psych eval, once u pass a consult with the surgeon, or for me the PA, lol.

I agree... with the fact that the doctor should have spent 5 minutes to at least say "hello"...geez and secondly and, maybe most important (to me).... is that our Vets always deserve better treatment than they receive!!! It breaks my heart! A dear friend has many problems and has to go to the Vet hospital HOURS away to be treated, which is ridiculous, especially in his condition. I am not going to get on my soap box about this...but y'all know what I am talking about :(

BGP sorry your friend receiving such awful treatment after traveling so far to a place that suppose to be for you. Instead they treat you like second class patients. Feel free to step back on your soap box at any time. Send your friend best wishes from one vet to another.

I would be upset too! I'm sorry to hear that! I didn't have much time with my surgeon past the initial consult... but at east I got to meet him!

I would be upset too! I'm sorry to hear that! I didn't have much time with my surgeon past the initial consult... but at east I got to meet him!

That's all I really wanted too. My sisters came up here complaining n the nurses got offended. Now their being rude n one was three hrs late providing my pain meds. Of course Dr. K still didn't bother to come. Now I'm going to file my own official complaint.?