Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Dieters share their six weight loss tips

I found your post very helpful. I am only two weeks and a few days post op. I am doing good on soft food and it's so amazing that when i go out that i have no desire to go to a fast food place. I can relate with the occasional 'cheating' thing. Before I had surgery, I would often justify myself and reward myself for being good on my diet with allowing myself a favorite food or meal. But then I found myself craving it then on my strict days and would find myself giving in to the cravings again. I used to visit a fast food place like McDonalds almost everyday after I'd take my son to school and usually it was just for a coffee and sometimes a Breakfast sandwich. NOw when I go out the fast food places are not even a choice for me now.... not even for a coffee. I make my coffee at home now and not tempted to have any thing bad with it. I feel so free since the surgery.... I plan on using this tool to my advantage. I haven't even thought of an M&M and doubt if I could even eat one if I wanted to. I won't start when i can eat solid foods.... that's for sure after reading this. A food aholic can never eat 'just one' of the junk food crack....... At least I can't for sure. The photo at the end of your article had me cracking up. I could see my name being on there too...... We miss you.......hahaha

Thank you so much for your comment! There's a great quote..."If you hang around a barbershop eventually you'll get a haircut". Of course that means that if you put yourself in places where you are surrounded by whatever your trigger items are, you will probably end up giving in. You are so WISE already. To know that you can't eat just one is probably one of the most important things you can know about yourself. I PROMISE it is easier to do something 100% instead of 99%. What many don't know is that places like McDonald's make food in such a way that their sole purpose is for you to come back. Many in the food industry hire scientists to make this addictive food so they can make money no matter what it does to society. Actually I'd like to share a link to a great article. I have a list of great articles on my Bariatric Girl Facebook page in the notes section. This was written by a man who was a big wig in the food industry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/opinion/sunday/how-to-force-ethics-on-the-food-industry.html

As you get further out you will most likely be more tempted to try some things....that old friend will tell you "you can have just one because look how long you've gone without!" Don't listen because it may send you on a tailspin and of course that's not coming from a friend. It's important to say this too. If you do it...it's important to dust yourself off, ask for help if you're in trouble and most of all do not feel shame!

If you'd like one of those McDonald's signs just let me know what you want it to say and I'll do one for you. I'm pretty sure I can attach it to a reply so you can just save it as an image.

I'm really loving this site....I'm amazed at how respectful and positive everyone has been. Never hesitate to ask me anything if there's anyway I can be of help. I spend hours answering messages and email from people who felt ashamed and didn't want to speak up when they got in trouble. I really would like to try to help someone avoid that if at all possible.

Hugs, Y

Thanks for the tips. I am not somebody who can stop at just one. Sweets are like crack to me. Looking forward to surgery the first week of April.

BIG TIME CONGRATS ON YOUR SURGERY!!! I think all junk food was like crack to me. Even 13 years out I will not keep anything I could abuse in my house because it is particularly harder for me at night. (not uncommon) There's a great acronym for when we are often triggered. It's H.A.L.T. which stands for H- (hungry) A- (anxious) L- (lonely) T- (tired). When you are feeling any of those you may be more likely to reach for something to cope with those unwanted feelings. It helps to keep busy and that's why I volunteer because it helps get me out of my scary head.

I'm so excited for you! It will be here in no time!

Thanks! I'm actually working on it 30 day Bible study right now that has to do with building appropriate boundaries around food. I know what's ahead game. If I can fix my brain, I'll win this game.

Thanks! I'm actually working on it 30 day Bible study right now that has to do with building appropriate boundaries around food. I know what's ahead game. If I can fix my brain, I'll win this game.

That's incredible!! Appropriate boundaries of many kinds were always tough for me and you are absolutely right...if you fix your brain, you'll win this game. I LOVE that! Sounds like you've got a grip on what's ahead and that puts you in a really good place.

Gretchen Rubin's (The Happiness Project) take on abstinence is to put it with a positive spin For example, now I'm free from french fries, not I can't ever eat a french fry:

http://www.gretchenr...than-you-think/

Thanks for a thought provoking article. Great news to see you are at goal these many years later. You're my hero.

Lynda

Lynda I just noticed I missed your comment! What a great point about a positive spin on abstinence because that's the way I look at it too! Thank you for sharing the link too. GREAT STUFF!!

I appreciate your words more than you know but I don't feel like I deserve to be a anyone's hero....I spent so many years in the prison of obesity and those years are very fresh in my mind. When I had the surgery I made a promise, sort of a solemn vow that if I could just get back in the driver's seat just one more time that I would never, ever, ever go back. I am what you would call "scared straight" more or less. I don't participate in things that might put me back because I never know what might take me on that ride I can't get off of. So many people write me who are in trouble and that probably keeps me more motivated than I think. Because I've stopped some types of food completely I absolutely don't crave them and I have also learned to actually think before I do something that will only end up being super painful. I go through the thought process of realizing that I'll have only a few moments of extreme pleasure while I eat something (we have a sucky high because it only lasts while we are eating). After that I'll spend all kinds of time feeling bad, feeling shame, beating myself up. And guess what would make me feel better?? To eat again. I got off that ride a long time ago and don't want to get back in that vicious cycle. While I know I "shouldn't" feel shame or beat myself up because I'm not perfect....that doesn't stop me. I know myself. Shame is my biggest dragon left to slay. I can find something to feel ashamed about if I run out of what I consider to be justifiable reasons. Instead I think positive thoughts when I put fuel in my body and feel grateful that I'm not doing something to harm myself mentally and physically. Thank you again for commenting.

Great article. I'm 4 days post op. Failure, shame, guilt are all feeling that have lead me to be where I am. The long term path is just that -long term. I know many get into this seeing this as a quick fix. It's just a tool in the box. I'm so inspired by all of you. This is such a wonderful place to be!

Great article. I'm 4 days post op. Failure, shame, guilt are all feeling that have lead me to be where I am. The long term path is just that -long term. I know many get into this seeing this as a quick fix. It's just a tool in the box. I'm so inspired by all of you. This is such a wonderful place to be!

Congratulations!! You sound great for 4 days. Yep it's just a tool and it's the greatest tool I've ever been given. Thank you and I agree...this IS a wonderful place to be!

Yvonne, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for posting this, I am actually having surgery tomorrow and I am super excited, but I was struggling these past few days with the issue of will I ever be able to or even want to eat the foods I love now while I am heavy, and I have decided to follow the 6 steps rule, and I definitely am going to follow step one. I don't want to be trapped like I am now, and I want to be able to get to where I have always wanted to be HEALTHY. So thanks again, I am going to copy and paste these steps to a word document and print out a bunch and post them everywhere I can see it when I grab for foods and remember what you said!!! I am going to start my new life off right.

Yvonne, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for posting this, I am actually having surgery tomorrow and I am super excited, but I was struggling these past few days with the issue of will I ever be able to or even want to eat the foods I love now while I am heavy, and I have decided to follow the 6 steps rule, and I definitely am going to follow step one. I don't want to be trapped like I am now, and I want to be able to get to where I have always wanted to be HEALTHY. So thanks again, I am going to copy and paste these steps to a word document and print out a bunch and post them everywhere I can see it when I grab for foods and remember what you said!!! I am going to start my new life off right.

First I want to congratulate you about surgery!!! How wonderful. I also want to thank you for your kind words and encourage you to use the list as a guide. Your journey is a learning experience and no matter how much you know going in....some of those old habits may take a little practice. IF you do end up breaking rule #1 I want you to never feel shame or beat yourself up because we cannot change the past. All we have is right now and that's the only thing you can change. I will repeat again that it is easier to not do something 100% instead of 99%. In case you missed the great article that was posted in these comments by another member (Isereno), make sure and read this article too. I thought it was wonderful! http://www.gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2013/01/want-to-be-free-from-french-fries-or-why-abstaining-may-be-easier-than-you-think/

Be free pupichupi!!

First I want to congratulate you about surgery!!! How wonderful. I also want to thank you for your kind words and encourage you to use the list as a guide. Your journey is a learning experience and no matter how much you know going in....some of those old habits may take a little practice. IF you do end up breaking rule #1 I want you to never feel shame or beat yourself up because we cannot change the past. All we have is right now and that's the only thing you can change. I will repeat again that it is easier to not do something 100% instead of 99%. In case you missed the great article that was posted in these comments by another member (Isereno), make sure and read this article too. I thought it was wonderful! http://www.gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2013/01/want-to-be-free-from-french-fries-or-why-abstaining-may-be-easier-than-you-think/

Be free pupichupi!!

Thanks Yvonne, I will check that out!!!

Wow, that last picture was powerful. Exactly how I have felt for years. I'm a musician and artistic in nature and keep it to myself anymore. No one sees talent, love, patience, hard work, dedication, etc,.. through the obesity. They just see a fat person. A joke. I remember being thin in my young adult life and people always complemented me and listened to what I had to say. The bigger I got the more people shut me out, made everything I said or did appear ridiculous and then the shunning started. I see it happening to my kids and I know it's the weight. The last great prejudice in this life is against overweight people and getting worse. It's practically illegal to pick on someone for race, religion, or sexual orientation anymore, but it's a free for all on obese people. My son is now headed toward surgery and next will be my daughter (PCOS related). We feel less than human when we go out, that is the mental toll of society on obese people. The vicious circle that causes us to go home and overeat in the first place.

Wow, that last picture was powerful. Exactly how I have felt for years. I'm a musician and artistic in nature and keep it to myself anymore. No one sees talent, love, patience, hard work, dedication, etc,.. through the obesity. They just see a fat person. A joke. I remember being thin in my young adult life and people always complemented me and listened to what I had to say. The bigger I got the more people shut me out, made everything I said or did appear ridiculous and then the shunning started. I see it happening to my kids and I know it's the weight. The last great prejudice in this life is against overweight people and getting worse. It's practically illegal to pick on someone for race, religion, or sexual orientation anymore, but it's a free for all on obese people. My son is now headed toward surgery and next will be my daughter (PCOS related). We feel less than human when we go out, that is the mental toll of society on obese people. The vicious circle that causes us to go home and overeat in the first place.

I agree with you. Maybe if there was more emphasis on nutrition at school we wouldn't have children with diabetes. When my son was in first grade , his teacher would not allow high fat, sugar or calorie Snacks at snack time. It started you do today he is 6"4" and 180 and works out everyday. ( so proud of him). I want to go up to these people who are struggling and offer help.many don't know of all the services available to them. When I went to my first meeting many were with oxygen and in wheelchairs. I thought wow, I'm not that bad... Yet!

So proud to be able to have a second chance at life! I am pre op for June 9. Good luck with your son and daughter .. Are you post op yourself?