Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:D Hello, I'm new to this forum and I am also new to gastric bypass surgery. My surgery date is April 21st and while I am not scared I am curious to know what to expect immediately after surgery. I know that I will be sipping from a medication dose cup and that I will have to do a clear liquid diet for two weeks prior to my surgery date, I am interested to know how that went for people who have already had their surgery and if there are any suggestions as to what I can be diong to prepare myself for this. I have already started losing weight by eating more fruits and veggies and walking everyday and I feel good that I have gone down from 310 lbs to 292 in the last three weeks. I gained all of this weight after I had triple bypass surgery over the last 14 years. I want to be haelthy again but it is very hard now that I am addicted to sugary, fatty foods. Please help me by sharing some suggestions you may have. I am concerned about not being able to stay motivated to live a healthy lifestyle. Thanks in advance for your responses.

"I Want My Life Back In Philly, PA"

Welcome! My date is 4/15. I too am very excited. I only have to do a 3 day liquid diet so you will be starting before me. I'm starting to think and plan for my first week at home. Gotta make sure everything is in order.

Hey I only had to do a 1 day liquid the day before surgery and "clean" myself out too. The two weeks before I had to be on a 0-20 carb a day diet. I had surgery 3/7 post op has not been as bad as I thought. My doc said I was off duty for 14 days after. It has not been hard to do only liquids after. I do not feel hungry nor feel the want for food. I drink my Protein Shakes 2-3 times a day, and drink 25-36 oz of Clear Liquids a day. I have ate Jello and pudding also. The only pain I have had was GAS bubble after surgery. I have been walking everyday he said to walk 30mins a day. Good luck and I hope all goes well :)

Hi Amyllf2 and danagadd, thanks for responding to me. Amy are you having the gastirc bypass surgery or the banding done? I'm asking this because I'm having the rouenx bypass surgery and in order to prep my system I have to eat only clear liquids for two weeks prior to my surgery date.

Danagadd, that's awesome, reading your post gives me hope. I think its great that you are not hungry that is one of my biggest concerns. It seems that I am always hungry even after I have eaten a normal sized portion of food. I know that I am addicted to sweets and fats and I have joined overeatersanomynous.com to get support with my overeating. I look forward to engaging in conversation with both of you as i go on this journey to get fit and healthy. godd bless both of you!!!

Every doctor does it slightly different on the preop diet. My recommended a 10 day liquid diet. I could have some juice, cottage cheese, Protein shakes, and yogurt. I actually ate some turkey and boiled eggs too while I was doing it. It wasn't that bad, you just kind of have to remind yourself that you've got what your body needs to keep going. I would wait until I was super hungry and then eat something small and wait again until I was super hungry. Most days I only got in 400-500 calories.

After the surgery: I remember I woke up in quite a bit of pain, but I was also super out of it. They actually had me awake while I was still in the operating room. As soon as I got to post op they started giving me drugs and I felt way better. I had a pain pump. Push your button. Push it often. And if it's not cutting it, ask for something else. I got what was in my pain pump and something for inflation too. From that point on my pain was tolerable. You'll have to do a swallow test in the hospital, and it's pretty gross but once you're clear from that you'll be on your way to going home. I got to eat clear liquids in the hospital.

My worst days were my first 3 days home. I had trouble standing for more than a few minutes. Make yourself move around as much as you can. My husband was great during this time, he waited on me hand and foot and was always there helping me up, to the bathroom, in the shower ECT. I'm on day 8 now, I'm still tired and sore but I got my staples and my JP drain out today so I'm looking forward to getting back to normal.

The best things you can do to prepare is to focus on eating slow, and listening to when you're stomach is full. Try to find some Protein you might like, but remember your taste might change after your surgery. Also stock up on things you'll need when you come home, like your Calcium and Multi Vitamins.

Edited by Wallflower7522

I'm having the RNY as well. 3 day clear liquid. No weight gain before surgery. I asked my doctor and he said there really are just different views on things and that every individual is different. My liver is not enlarged so I'm good with 3 days. He said if my liver had been enlarged, we would be using a different pre-op plan.

Based on what I have read here, there are many factors and philosophies. Size, age, comorbidity factors, pre-op nutrition requirements etc. Just like post-op- none of our experiences will be exactly the same.