Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op jitters

My surgery is next Wednesday and I have been on the pre-op diet for one week I'm really scared I'm going to be knock back from the surgery as 3 day in I had chicken laksa for lunch (forgot my shake sachet) and they had no salads left then I went out for work functions the boys ordered my garden salad which was great only problem I was told I could have diet soda so through the night I ordered three glasses only to find half way drinking through the third it was normal coke stopped went to Water. And on Sunday I had a smacked on popcorn really regret the popcorn now I also went cold turkey smoking and have struggled with the craving so I have been walking up to 3kms a day for last three days my intake for past week has been under 850 calories and drinking 2lt of water am I worrying to much or could I have screwed myself??

Calm down and take some deep breaths. I think you're doing fine. If you're really worried call your surgeon's office as you're not the first to stumble and recover. You have a whole week now to go and you are committed to this big new healthy change in your life. Don't forget to pat yourself on the back. Way to go on the exercising, too! Best wishes to you!

Thank you I don't think I was ever prepared for the emotional roller coaster on top I think giving up smoking and not eating had driven me a little crazy I certainly won't be cheating and sticking to the diet like glue and il keep the walking going found awesome app for my phone called mapmy fitness it's amazing!!!

You're not alone. A lot of people do cheat on their pre- op diet and some surgeons don't even have a pre-op diet at all. This does not give you a blank check to keep cheating as your surgeon has his/her rules for a reason. Were you told that you had to lose a certain amount of weight by surgery date, if so how are you progressing that way?

From what I know and read, the preop diet is meant to help you lose weight, "shrink" your liver by reducing the fatty deposit there to make the surgery easier, and it really prepares you for the post-op care. Glad you recognize the problem now and are working to remedy it. Call your surgeon if your concerned.

It won't be too much longer now. You got this :)

Thank you I don't think I was ever prepared for the emotional roller coaster on top I think giving up smoking and not eating had driven me a little crazy I certainly won't be cheating and sticking to the diet like glue and il keep the walking going found awesome app for my phone called mapmy fitness it's amazing!!!

I know what you mean about the roller coaster. For so many years I quelled this whirring of anxiety inside of me with food. I had to really examine all those go-to behaviors which had become so automatic. Now it's interesting to me that when I just allow the feelings they are not actually so bad. I have a look at them, acknowledge the stress or whatever emotional thing is going on, and then it dissipates. All without the help of Cookies (or a block of cheese, etc.!). If I'm really wound up, there's nothing like exercise to relieve my troubles. And I write in my journal quite a bit -- that seems to help. I knew that food and other substances were not making anything better but I couldn't reign it in until I got my band. It's such a relief to me. I feel like I am out of food jail. Hang in there -- you are going to do beautifully! You are choosing yourself and that is a very powerful thing. Best wishes!

My pre-op diet was 1200 calories a day--and now I eat 800 or less. Funny how 1200 seemed so low for me once upon a time! At any rate, as long as you are making the right choices now, eating what you are supposed to, exercising, etc. I wouldn't worry too much--it won't do you any good in the long run. And please don't think about your eating as "cheating". These were life choices that you made. It will be the same for you after surgery. Sometimes we make choices that we regret, but calling your acts "cheating" will make you feel defeated at times. Diet needs to be a noun in our vocabulary--what we eat to be healthy, not something we do. I know you can do this--take a deep breath! You'll be great.

Breathe. It's not that serious, you haven't done anything that will prevent or hinder your surgery. Just be good from here on out, you're almost there!

My surgery is next Wednesday and I have been on the pre-op diet for one week I'm really scared I'm going to be knock back from the surgery as 3 day in I had chicken laksa for lunch (forgot my shake sachet) and they had no salads left then I went out for work functions the boys ordered my garden salad which was great only problem I was told I could have diet soda so through the night I ordered three glasses only to find half way drinking through the third it was normal coke stopped went to Water. And on Sunday I had a smacked on popcorn really regret the popcorn now I also went cold turkey smoking and have struggled with the craving so I have been walking up to 3kms a day for last three days my intake for past week has been under 850 calories and drinking 2lt of Water am I worrying to much or could I have screwed myself??

Manaia84, your stressing yourself out, first off what did your doctor give you for a 2 week diet? I was told to drink 2 shakes and they gave me a power bar for the other meals, Also I have some Fiber crap they want me to eat, then all the Vitamins. Then water, and non-soda, low sugar drinks. I drink the Ice drinks which my NUT said was a good thing for me, and it has lots of Vitamins in it. I also quit smoking, and that doesn't help. This past sunday I went to a family thing at my husbands families house and they are straight up Puerto Rican, and man I love the food they cook, so i said I would have a small plate, and thats what I did, but it was pork which is amazing, and rice, and I had some meatballs, which they always make, and man the next day I was like ugh I was paying for it!!! I haven't had soda in like forever, so I can't say I drink soda anymore, but don't worry you have 6 more days to get back on track. My surgery is the same day and I told myself, after sunday I am not screwing up!!! I am not giving in I don't care if I have to hide in my house!!! lol, so just put in your effort for the last week before carry your drinks on you everywhere, I brought enough to work for the days I am here till my surgery, and then I have what I need at home. The only thing I have to worry about now is Saturday is my sons birthday party and it's a pizza place, so I just have to be strong. You can do this!!! Good luck!!!

Slow down. You can't focus on two devils at one time and I am not promoting smoking by any means because I am an ex smoker 4 years come april 15th yay me. Well back to you. You need to concentrate on why you are doing this. You are tired of living your life being obese and want to get healthy. Small steps to get you where you need to be. You can't expect to undo all the bad habits you have taken years to acquire over night. You need to focus on the pre op diet and nothing else. When you quit smoking especially at a critical time like this of course you are going to want to eat. I am not telling you to smoke but I am saying your preop diet is first and foremost important. It is time to learn that you don't need the garbage that you have been filling your body with that has robbed you of your life. Get yourself together and its not a race. We all are winners when we reach goal.

Slow down. You can't focus on two devils at one time and I am not promoting smoking by any means because I am an ex smoker 4 years come april 15th yay me. Well back to you. You need to concentrate on why you are doing this. You are tired of living your life being obese and want to get healthy. Small steps to get you where you need to be. You can't expect to undo all the bad habits you have taken years to acquire over night. You need to focus on the pre op diet and nothing else. When you quit smoking especially at a critical time like this of course you are going to want to eat. I am not telling you to smoke but I am saying your preop diet is first and foremost important. It is time to learn that you don't need the garbage that you have been filling your body with that has robbed you of your life. Get yourself together and its not a race. We all are winners when we reach goal.

My doctor told me I had to quit before my surgery? So I had no choice??? I am doing good though, and I don't want to go back again!!!

I wasn't told how much weight to loose but I did ask what do most people loose he said about 5kgs which I think is 10pounds I was put on opti fast 3 shakes, Soups or deserts and two

Cups of vege I have certainly stuck to it since Sunday I did have one smoke yesterday but vowed not to again i will call my surgeon today because I had originally put on 6kgs from last surgeon start of jan to more preop diet so I guess I have stressed cause of that I have now lost 3kgs and hoping another 4kg before surgery

Thank you so much for the supper first time I been on here and I'm glad I have I felt like I was alone and my friends don't quite understand

I wasn't told how much weight to loose but I did ask what do most people loose he said about 5kgs which I think is 10pounds I was put on opti fast 3 shakes,soups or deserts and two

Cups of vege I have certainly stuck to it since Sunday I did have one smoke yesterday but vowed not to again i will call my surgeon today because I had originally put on 6kgs from last surgeon start of jan to more preop diet so I guess I have stressed cause of that I have now lost 3kgs and hoping another 4kg before surgery

Thank you so much for the supper first time I been on here and I'm glad I have I felt like I was alone and my friends don't quite understand

I know what you mean about your friends not understanding cause all of my friends are thin and always have been and they just think its oh so easy cause the most they ever had to lose was maybe 10lbs??? I'm like be in my shoes!!! Ha they wouldn't know what to do!!! So listen don't stress too much and don't forget when you quit smoking that just makes you wanna eat. It's really difficult so try to get something that you can do to keep your hands busy!! It will help that and spicy or cinnamony candies!!! Well keep it up you can do it!!!

hi manaia84...9 days before i head south...surgery in 10 days... im nervous and excited as well... im glad i found this site and also looking for pre..and post surgery support. as an lpn but non smoker i wanted to maybe help exlplain why quitting smoking is sooooo crucial. when a person smokes and introduces all those chemicals and toxins into your body it causes your immune system to go into overtime to rid all that crap...it continues on 24 hrs as even when u arent smoking theres lots of crap to process...then your body needs to heal and cleanse your kidneys and liver...lymphatic system.. so now you know why when u get a cold or flu smoking delays the normal immune response bc you continue to add junk to the body...so thats why it takes sooo long for you to get over thay cold or illness...nm...adding unnecessary antibiotics...lol...so now you are undergoing a Major and invasive surgery... our body is literally cut open..susceptible to foreign matters...even internal mixtures so naturally the body will undergo pain..new changes in it routine..route...swelling from surgery...potential infection control alert is heightened...do you want your body to have to continue to clean the toxins chemicals from smoking while under going the knife... then get a surprise shit something ugly and strange is happening here and leave the toxins and chemicals to deal with surgical ivasion...expect a long healing..recovery time from surgery if you arent able to quit... surely you will be highly tempted to smoke after your surgery and the viscous cycle in your body begins again

..smoking is a killer... theres sooo much more negative you dont cant see..i hope i somewhat positively...persuaded you to quit now...for life...you can do it!!

hi manaia84...9 days before i head south...surgery in 10 days... im nervous and excited as well... im glad i found this site and also looking for pre..and post surgery support. as an lpn but non smoker i wanted to maybe help exlplain why quitting smoking is sooooo crucial. when a person smokes and introduces all those chemicals and toxins into your body it causes your immune system to go into overtime to rid all that crap...it continues on 24 hrs as even when u arent smoking theres lots of crap to process...then your body needs to heal and cleanse your kidneys and liver...lymphatic system.. so now you know why when u get a cold or flu smoking delays the normal immune response bc you continue to add junk to the body...so thats why it takes sooo long for you to get over thay cold or illness...nm...adding unnecessary antibiotics...lol...so now you are undergoing a Major and invasive surgery... our body is literally cut open..susceptible to foreign matters...even internal mixtures so naturally the body will undergo pain..new changes in it routine..route...swelling from surgery...potential infection control alert is heightened...do you want your body to have to continue to clean the toxins chemicals from smoking while under going the knife... then get a surprise shit something ugly and strange is happening here and leave the toxins and chemicals to deal with surgical ivasion...expect a long healing..recovery time from surgery if you arent able to quit... surely you will be highly tempted to smoke after your surgery and the viscous cycle in your body begins again

..smoking is a killer... theres sooo much more negative you dont cant see..i hope i somewhat positively...persuaded you to quit now...for life...you can do it!!

It's has helped I also read it a few days ago that could happen. I have had a max of 4 smokes in 2weeks so I think I'm doing pretty good my surgery is on Wednesday and would of been a week since I had one I plan on not ever smoking again! I hope everything goes well with your surgery as well :)