Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about supplements?!?!?!

I really just got serious over the holidays about taking all the necessary supplements, but so far I have fallen quite short of what is needed according to some research. I was initially on vitaFusion multivites, but after more research realized i wasnt getting much of anything that i need. I am switching to Alive! once daily men's ultra potency which for the same price has twice as much Vitamins and more of the daily recommended dosage. my question's are do I need to be taking anything else? I dont really drink Protein anymore and know i need to get back on that any suggestions for relatively cheap protein. also i keep seeing that there is a certain kind of Calcium we are supposed to take this new pill (Alive!) has calcium but it isnt either name of what i saw, do i need to still buy more calcium supplements. also I have noticed my hair thinning the old pill had 5% Biotin the new one has 108% should i still look into extra biotin supplements. I would really appreciate the help!!!!

Kyle, are you getting enough Protein? Usually that is the culprit in Hair loss. If your not getting enough start to up your protein content. I like the premiere protein powers and their ready to drink Protein Drinks they have a high content 20-30 per drink. They also make Protein Bars with the same amount of Proteins for 200 calories.

My husband and I both were taking extra Biotin supplements about 5000 iu daily. He no longer takes them and just does the mulit Vitamin but I still take them as I like to keep my hair and nails long and strong!

He does not take any extra Calcium but as a woman I take a supplement of chewable calcium tabs nightly.

I also take the Alive for women daily and extra Vitamin C, B12, D and Zinc daily but more because I have a low immune system.

I hope this helps you.

I'm completely off any chewable/gummy type vitamins; bariatric or otherwise. I didn't feel that any one of them was complete nutritionally. I went back on my old Twin Labs Multivitamin in capsule form. They go down fine, and I feel so much better.

Along with that, I take an extra 5,000 of D3, 5,000 of Biotin, and 1500mg of calcium; 500mg 3 times per day. I was told that our bodies do not absorb any more than 500mg at a time, so taking anymore in one dose is a waste. I have a liquid Cal/Mag by Solgar that's strawberry flavored. If I'm not home, I carry the chocolate Calcium sugar free chews from costco. And lastly, I take sublingual B12 from GNC.

As for Protein, I no longer drink a shake on a daily basis, but when I do, it's Premier Protein ready made chocolate. But I do have a Quest Protein Bar daily, which adds about 20 grams of protein to my daily food intake. And.....it takes care of my sweet tooth :-)

Be wary of taking too much Vitamins as well as it is possible to have bad side effects of taking too much, as some are not soluble and build up like Vitamin A. I speak from experience, I was overdoing, my vitamins, my Calcium and eventually even my Protein with horrible side effects of returned high blood pressure, cranial headaches and bloating tummy. Once I stopped taking everything, all my vitals pretty much returned to normal.

My doctor reminded me, my body is not the same, where I need as much . that I should be able to get the protein I need from most foods now.

Good Luck..