Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone out there that had to quit smoking?

Hi.

Just wondering if any ex-smokers out there could answer this for me... My surgeon requires 90 days quit before the surgery and I'm 2 months in to that but slipped up and smoked a couple cigarettes in a moment of weakness. Do you think they will be able to tell or do the tests they do only go back 30 days? I'm really freaked out I will have to start over completely.

Thanks,

Stacy

I had the same issue. My doctor required 60 days smoke free. I smoked like a pack a day up until about 3.5wks before my nicotine test (horrible, I know) and I passed my urine test. Almost 7 weeks smoke free now and I love it! Just be honest with your doctor, I was. It's the best thing you can do. Quitting isn't easy!

Edited by beckyloo4

Thanks that makes me feel better! Congratulations on 7 weeks not easy to do!

My bypass is scheduled for March 26th. I quit smoking on February 16th after many years of enjoying this bad habit.

I bought some of the electronic cigarettes that do not contain nicotine-only the Water vapor which has helped tremendously.

My bypass is scheduled for March 26th. I quit smoking on February 16th after many years of enjoying this bad habit.

I bought some of the electronic cigarettes that do not contain nicotine-only the Water vapor which has helped tremendously.

I bought one of those non nicotine ones too. I believe they called it a hoo kah stick. It was flavored. I used it for a week and I was totally over it. They do help A LOT.

Edited by beckyloo4

Thanks that makes me feel better! Congratulations on 7 weeks not easy to do!

Thank you! You can do it too!! :)

Just so you know - Nicotine stays in urine for up to 5 days. I investigated all of this because I also had to quit before my surgery! I smoked up til the week before my preop and didn't go back until after the surgery 2 weeks later. YES I am one of those people who quit and went back! Don't need to hear all the blah blah blah about it. I thought about smoking all day every day and just couldn't handle being a non smoker! I enjoy smoking for the most part and missed it so I started back up!

Anyway - as long as you quite 1 week before any urine or blood tests you will be just fine. Hell I quit because I was told my Dr wouldn't touch you if you had nicotine in your system - but they didn't even test me!!!!