Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I receeived my banding date from my Dr's office- April 7. I was feeling pretty excited but as the days draw are passing and I realize it's less than a month away I experiencing some major nerves. Reading over the Dr's paperwork has only made it worse. Did anybody else feel this way? Any suggestions? I have talked to friends and they have just said if I am that scared dont do it. Thats not an option for health reasons. Please help!!

I felt the same way! I don't regret my decision to have weight loss surgery at all! I'm very happy & I just know you will be too. It is very overwhelming, because it seems like a lot, but read over those instructions that the dr gave you & just start preparing for your new life.

You probably know that anything worth having makes you nervous because you are out of your comfort zone. It's ok to be nervous, but just try to focus on the new you, because there will be a new you - we'll all be watching you succeed!

I have started to already make changes in preperation for the new eating changes required after banding. It hasn't been easy. I have also joined a gym and am working with a trainer. I am focused. But also scared out of my mind. ESPECIALLY after reading the packet of what will happen during surgery. I would have been better off not knowing!!! My other issue is I often only eat around 600 calories a day because I get so busy I forget to eat. I am working on getting up to 1200 as my doctor and trainer advised.

I am scared of being out of my comfort zone. Is it normal??

I think everyone feels this way.

I remember saying to myself right after surgery... "What have I done... then I had a good burp.and felt great"... on day 3 I was feeling "normal." and have had NO regrets at all.

I've posted this message before but I think it's worth repeating.

I know for me I never realized how much food controlled my life. I had a really hard time with “head hunger” in the evenings.
I’m now entering my 8th year of being banded and have talked about this here several times but I think it’s worth repeating for new bandsters.
Try and take it one day at a time. Don’t compare yourself to others. Don’t go into this journey saying “I’ll never be able to eat this or that ever again.” I can eat ANYTHING except rice and apple skins and no carbonated beverages. Follow the guidelines given to you by your doctor. Remember… take tiny bites (the size of your pinky fingernail) and remember to finish what you have in your mouth before you take your next bite.
When I was losing weight I checked in every month with my family doctor to get weighed and measured. (I don’t own scales) I also attended three coffee groups for people that are banded. (I host them). These things really keep me motivated and on track. I still check in every month with my family doctor to get weighed-in and I host two coffee groups. For me support from fellow bandsters plays a big part in this journey.
Back when I was banded my family doctor and I came up with something called the “Egg Timer Distraction”. It’s kind of difficult to explain here but I’d be happy to email you the .pdf document. It REALLY helped me with “head hunger”. I can’t tell you the number of people in my lapband coffee groups over the years that have said how helpful this “trick” has been in dealing with their head hunger.
Also, I’m not really a “diet” book type person but I recommend you pick up two books.
Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat: How to Break Your Eat-Repent-Repeat Cycle – by Dr. Michelle May
I had the pleasure of hearing Dr. May speak at a conference when she came to Toronto and her book and guidelines really work well with the lapband journey.
The second book is:
The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite – by David L. Kessler
Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions and also if you would like a copy of the “Egg Timer Distraction Document”. --- tomander@bell.net
Tom, Toronto
Banded July 6 06
Wt. Loss: 160 lbs
tomander@bell.net

Edited by Tomander

It is a big decision and a life changer to have this (or any) surgery. Feeling nervous is normal...everyone feels it to different degrees. When I was panicked and ready to back out I always thought about WHY I was doing this in the first place. It had to be a REALLY good reason for me to make the choice to have WLS.

And yes, you will definitely be out of your comfort zone...there is a big learning curve with the band and everyone is so different from how they do with the surgery itself, the recovery, the diet and lifestyle changes and the journey with the band.

I had "buyers remorse" after having my band and I cried and cried for several days questioning what I had done to myself....i thought i had made the biggest mistake of my life. And then one day passed and I felt better and then another....and then i was finally off the liquid phase and onto mushies....and I kept continuing to feel better...and then onto solids....and then the scale began to move down, down, down, and my clothes are too big.

It is a day to day journey and that is how I take it...some days are better than others but overall, the BEST decision I ever made.

I feel so good both physically and emotionally about myself.

Hang in there....be prepared....remember why you chose this route....ask any and all questions you have with your doctor....follow their instructions....and take one day at a time and you will be just fine!

Good luck and keep us posted!

I used food to quell a whirring of anxiety inside and I was nervous about not having that available anymore -- taking the plunge. And I had never been an overnight patient in a hospital before, so there was that. Getting ready for surgery gave me the opportunity to really work on the eating issues -- identifying the why, when and where -- the noticing everything, acknowledging. And for the latter, the whole surgical process was so much easier than I had imagined. I kept a very positive attitude throughout and I think that really helped. I was really glad I upped my exercise beforehand so I had something to step right into -- I didn't want to but I did it anyway. As soon as I woke up from surgery I started walking and I think it helped me recovery very quickly. Best wishes to you and congratulations on making this decision to choose yourself and a happy healthy future!

Been there, done that! You're not crazy and you're not alone.

For me, I have bad anxiety. From a previous (non-wls) surgery I knew I'd be a wreck that morning, no caffeine, no food, no meds, etc. I was able to ask the hospital during my pre-op appt for approval to take my anti-anxiety med that morning. I was granted permission and I just had to remind them and the anesthesiologist prior to surgery. If you're that way just ask.

Now leading up to that date - you've done your research and know this is the wls for you. You've done your research on your surgeon. You've done (or will be doing) your pre-op tests and blood work. The risks at that point are low. I was banded Dec of last year and I'm glad that I did it.

Wow. Thank you all for responding. I am relieved to see I am not alone in this as I so very often feel I am. I DO know this is the correct step for me. I just have to remember that and NOT let what the dr gave me to read scare me. Lol. I wonder though if they could triple the anti anxiety pills for me that morning? Lol

Yes, I almost convinced myself to postpone my surgery until I tried at least one more diet. I'm so glad I didn't. I started working on it as soon as I found out my insurance covered WLS. I have no regrets.

Does everyone feel comfortable posting their banding dates and how much they have lost? I would like to lose 50 or more pounds by october. Is this realistic? Any tips and suggestions that everyone has as I embark on this crazy thrill ride? And thank you all. I am so glad I finally am finding support!!!

Hi pibblemon

Your goal is very realistic. As I said in my previous post just take one day at a time.

If you can find a support group. I host 3 coffee groups a month... I find them very helpful.

I was banded July 6 06... down 160 lbs... no issues at all... I started with a 54" waist now 30"

Tom

Well I kind of think putting an actual number that you want to lose by a specific date could play mind games with you if you don't reach that goal. But this is how it's gone for me: had surgery on 9/13/13 and I've had one fill. I've lost almost 60 pounds (58pounds) I'm 45 years old, I walk a lot and exercise at the gym about 2 days a week. I eat between 800-1000 calories, very seldom do I go over 1000 and I'm not hungry. I've seen some people lose more weight than me and some that haven't, but it's not a race - everyone looses at a different rate. I hope this helps :)

Does everyone feel comfortable posting their banding dates and how much they have lost? I would like to lose 50 or more pounds by october. Is this realistic? Any tips and suggestions that everyone has as I embark on this crazy thrill ride? And thank you all. I am so glad I finally am finding support!!!

What's your starting weight? (On my phone so I can't see your profile if it's even filled out). Banding in April to lose 50 lbs by Oct? That's a pretty aggressive goal and you may become discouraged. You will have to have a laser focus and not cheat / stray. I think more realistic (again not knowing starting weight) might be to shoot for 30 or even 40 and if you hit 50 all the better :)

I was banded Dec 16, 2013 and I'm now down about 24 lbs. The first two weeks I lost 8 lbs on the liquid post op diet, next 4 weeks I lost 6 more lbs. after that it's been about 1-2 lbs (sometimes a smidge more) a week loss. It's a bit frustrating at this point but it's steady. Well I did have a few plateaus. The band tends to go slower than the sleeve but I feel it'll stay off longer (hopefully).

Oh yeah and I suggest, if you haven't already, create a myfitnesspal account. There's a lot of us on there with other threads with usernames to find us and friend us. It's a program where you can track your food you eat and exercises you do to show calorie breakdown. It's free and one of the better program/apps out there.

@k8mk1999 my weight currently is 306. Very embaressed by that number. I type this as I am getting ready for the gym which is a huge step for me in itself. I am focused and am just hoping not to lose that focus. I do have high expectations. Is that normal? I def will dowload that app!! A co worker suggested it friday night to me as well but I was like wth is an app going to do. Hearing it from this forum as well makes me think its worth the download!! Ty!!