Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating More Carbs = Craving Even More Carbs

I know I've seen people point this out here before and I thought I would chime in with my story.

I've kept my carbs under 60 since my surgery 8.5 months ago. I haven't been bothered with cravings for my old favorites like toast, candy, chips, etc.

But for the past 5+ days I've had some nasty digestive issues. I was talking with my sister (who is an internal medicine physician and knows her stuff btw) and she told me I need to eat a limited diet either for the next three days or until my tummy troubles get straightened out, whichever comes first. What I can eat:

all natural yogurt, skim milk, brown rice, unsweetened applesauce, whole wheat saltine crackers, all-natural high Fiber Cereal, baked or grilled chicken breast (small amounts) and bananas (slightly unripened). I can also have one serving of Protein Powder per day - no more because it contains artificial sweeteners, which can be rough on the digestive system.

So, I have kept my calories in their normal range but my carbs are WAY over my usual limit of 60. And I find myself desperately craving just about anything with carbs. I don't usually have any trouble walking down the candy, cookie and cracker aisle at the grocery store, but this morning I found myself actually placing a bag of dark chocolate salted caramel truffles in my shopping basket before I came to my senses and threw it back on the shelf. Today when I was counting out my saltines for my afternoon snack, I really wanted to basically stuff the rest of the sleeve of crackers down my throat. Instead, I stuffed them in the trash.

The diet plan from my sister has worked wonders on my tummy but I am so relieved to end it tonight and get back to my regular way of eating. Honestly this has been scary.

This "addiction" or whatever you want to call it, is real for me too. I can do great for a week or so, and then one slip up with carbs and I find myself desperate for that next fix. I am pre-op and intend to raise this issue with my nut and possibly even the psych evaluation. I am afraid that if I reveal this issue that it may raise some concerns, but I am more afraid of setting myself up for failure. I am looking forward to the tool that this sleeve can be...

My name is Lorna, and I am a carboholic! I did extremely well during 2+ months of pre-op on a high Protein low carb diet and then after my surgery in August. I all but became a carb phobic! Somehow a few slipped in over the last few months and they've made me want more. I am constantly having to argue with myself that a "little bit won't hurt". The heck you say! It's a slippery slope for me..... one cracker is good, 4 are better! lol I KNOW what I'm doing wrong, so it's keeping me from losing, but I have to want that weightloss more than I want that carb right now. Some serious arguements going between my brain, tummy and heart. I'm not where I want to be and I need to get "UNsatisfied" with my progress. I'm going to the beach one month from tomorrow and I'm deterined to be back on track well before then. good luck to my fellow carboholics out there!

Please address the issue. It is not uncommon. I told my Dr, Surgeon, Dietitian, and Psychologist. They all said they hear it all the time my Primary Dr said he would bet batter than 50% of the people he assists for weight management deal with the same problem. It won't stop your surgery. I think it helps to let people know. I find it helps me and I agree it seems like one carb to many can lead to a landslide. I have to be careful with onions on my salad, red onions can lead me to severe sugar cravings and getting back on track is a pain in the butt.

OH no ljgh73---say it ain't so!!!! I've given up so much, please NOT my beloved onions!!!!!! seriously!!! ok...if I eat onions, I'll just have to grab a sugar free popsicle as a preventative measure! lol

Hahaha. This is funny. Onions set my carb craving off. Doesn't mean it does for others. ;) also it's sweet onions and red onions that are the worst culprits.

Best of luck!