Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHen did you (after surgery) drink any alcoholic beverage?? Wine, or hard liquor whatever, this is just informational for me, and also how did you feel? And did you do it again? Thanks

I would be interested in this also. Although I rarely drink, I do like a magarita occasdionally.

I would be interested in this also. Although I rarely drink, I do like a magarita occasdionally.

Yeah I know some post ops on you tube drink occasionally but I'm totally clueless to when they started

I'm now almost 16 months out. I had my first alcoholic drink after 3 1/2 months. I do still drink on occasion, however I'm an incredible lightweight now. I used to be able to have an entire bottle of wine by myself and still barely feel drunk. Now, less than one glass and I'm practically trashed! Talk about a cheap date! Also, Alcohol has taken on a much stronger taste to me. Even mixed drinks with the slightest amount of booze is much more pungent. I stil rarely do champagne, and I never drank beer before, but mainly with champagne it's because of the carbonation. Carbonation makes my tummy feel terrible, like it's going to explode. Not everyone has the same experiences. These are mine. Hope it helps :)

I had a sip of red wine at about six weeks out and it did not sit well. I waited another month before trying again. It went okay, but I consume alcohol very cautiously now simply because of the empty calories. They really add up!

I was cleared at 6 weeks for all food and drinks (except carbonation) My husband and I are wine lovers. I highly suggest you try it at home first. Because it had been almost 3 months without a beverage it hit me fast. A few sips was all I could do. Keep in mind I am a top tier sleever. A year out next week and not a slime, barf or any adverse reaction whatsoever. We share a nice bottle each weekend with a fab meal. Now, the effects are the same as before my sleeve.

It hits some people fast and others not so much. I fall in the latter. Please try it at home first. Some people it goes right through them so you don't want to be running to the rest room.

Thank you all that replied to this! I too am a huge wine person and I was told by one person 6 months to a year. I have been on my pre-op diet for 2 weeks now and really really want a sip of good wine :) I will definaetly try my first drink at home.

I had nonrefundable tickets to Napa/Sonoma with friends that hit 5 weeks post op. Yes, I had wine tastings, several. Not the best idea but neither was it horrible. food was a much bigger problem since I was on soft foods at that point. Lots of Soup. I'm 17 months out and enjoy wine and beer whenever I like. 3 lbs from goal.

I had nonrefundable tickets to Napa/Sonoma with friends that hit 5 weeks post op. Yes, I had wine tastings, several. Not the best idea but neither was it horrible. food was a much bigger problem since I was on soft foods at that point. Lots of Soup. I'm 17 months out and enjoy wine and beer whenever I like. 3 lbs from goal.

Congrats on being so close to goal!

I was advised 1 year!!

Honest answer- if I want a cocktail with friends , I have one. One is the key . I can't afford to waste my precious calories on alcohol , and since surgery, one drink goes a long way! My first drink was 8 weeks post op.

I think one of the biggest reasons for caution (bedsides the empty calories) is the possibility of cross addiction from food to booze. That's another reason for my " one and done" style.

I had a couple of sips one month out. I am now 4 months out and had a shot of Baileys on ice a few days ago. It was so good!!! I didn't feel drunk at all but it was very warm to hot in my tummy. Won't do it very often cause I don't need the carbs and calories.

I had my first glass of wine at 6 weeks out and was completely fine! I've read a lot of people that talk about one glass making them drunk, but that hasn't been the case for me at all! I'm almost 3 months out now and have probably had 6 glasses of wine total and have not been even close to being drunk after 2 glasses! I haven't drank any hard liquor or beer though, so that might be a different story. I'm not sure if I'm just at a stall or if there is a correlation with me having a glass of wine every now and again, but the scale has not been moving much these past few weeks so I'm going back to ZERO alcohol for the next few months!