Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Insurance Waiting Game!

So I finished all my testing on 02/12/14. All information has been submitted to the insurance. My question is how long did your approvals take? If it was denied first what you had to do to get approved?

Everyone has different insurances(mine is Blue Cross of IL) so I know timeframes will vary. I am just curious and extremely anxious.

I had a terrible time with the insurance but for really weird reasons like their computer system hadn't been updated to show that we had bariatric coverage.... so I wouldn't expect that to be a "normal" experience. Generally I think a 2 - 3 week timeline to be accepted or denied is "normal". If you don't hear back next week call and make sure they have all the pieces they need to make their decisions. There could be one report that didn't make it to your file and they think it is still coming in. Don't be afraid to follow up with the insurance company. I had to call daily to get my issues resolved. Yes they got tired of my phone calls, but it also motivated them to fix the problems too!

My surgeon's office knew my insurance company had 48 hours to respond and they did almost exactly in 48 hours. I am thankful for the speediness!

Mommyof3sweetboys-that is great! I hope mine doesn't take very long. You would think I would have some pull being that I work there. No such luck. Lol

Catherine 707- I said if I hadn't heard anything by the end of next week I would call.

I know the waiting is hard, but lets keep our fingers crossed that you are approved and don't need to go through any additional "stuff"! Once you are approved then you can get a surgery date and start planning for your new healthier life!

Yes. That's very true. I will try to be more patient

Mine was within hours submitted at 7 am and at 1 pm I found out I was approved

Mine took 6 days on the 5th day I called and they told me they were missing some test results so I called the surgeons office and the faxed it all in and the next day I was approved the next day I go Wednesday to get a surgery date and it should be scheduled the 3rd or 4th week of March. And my bag is already packed :)

Wow! U guys insurance rocks. I will try to wait til the end of next week before I call.

I have bluecross blueshield of Michigan. I hope everything thing works out. I have one test left to perform March 10th (stress test). After that my preauth will be sent.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I currently have a lapband that has failed after 2.5 years.

30SOMETHING- OMG. What went wrong with the lap band?

My port moved and can't be accessed. I can no longer eat meat or anything that is not the consistency of baby food. My doctor be lives my band may have slipped even with the plication.

It took 4 working days. I found out last Thursday and I go in Tuesday. I wish you luck.