Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeping arangements after surgery...

Congrats to those who have gone through it and those who are on the road to getting the Gastric Sleeve. I'm new on here and have a question? I'm 4 days out of surgery and home. I'm finding it very difficult to sleep. :-( Can anyone suggest some good sleeping arrangements?

sleep my first week home was pretty damn hard so I get you. Lots of internal and metabolic adjustments going on not to mention you just had a major surgery. You have been given anesthetics, narcotics, and various other IV and oral medications which take time to metabolize. You were woken up every 4 hours or so for vital signs and nurse checks so getting back to a quiet environment can make sleep difficult. If you have Restless Leg Syndrome, it can actually get worse when you get home while your body is metabolizing the anesthetics. There are very valid reasons for sleep disruption but please believe me, they pass with time. I have a few non-medication suggestions below, otherwise, you can call your PCP and see if they recommend a short-acting medication you can take for a few days.

If you have access on an iphone/android/ipad to pick up some "guided imagery meditation" tracts, they can be very very helpful. Itunes has several for sleep induction. Make sure your bedroom is cool (not cold if possible), and dark and only used for sleep (or sex---once cleared by the surgeon), just no computers, TV, or other social media/technology items. Some people like sleep machines with sounds of waves, rainstorms etc but I find that distracting. Don't eat or drink anything an hour or so before sleep--this can cause reflux (not to mention waking you up to pee). Lastly, Lavender scent (essential oil, or dried lavender buds) has been used for sleep induction for hundreds of years--olfactory association.

I know this may not help you in your particular situation but hopefully may give a few things to try. My doctor gave me no restrictions on sleeping positions so you may need to check with your doctor if you have them. A soft back rub with lavender lotion from my husband did wonders mentally, physically and emotionally (my mother did that for me as well after a surgery I had several years ago and it was very soothing).

Will send good and peaceful thoughts your way hun. :)

If you have a recliner a lot of people find it easier to sleep in one of those for the first week or so. Also maybe try a body pillow or propping yourself up on lots of pillows. Good luck, I remember those first few miserable nights! It does get better though.

Thanks for your feed back this means a lot. :-) the thing is I suffer from 2 herniated discs in my lower back. I wasn't on pain meds for them before surgery. Now after surgery I'm getting this pain straight up and down my right leg it starts at the beginning of my lower back and goes straight down my leg. I just tolerated the pain and slept in positions that felt fine to sleep. I've tried sleeping with lots of pillows, no pillows, flat on my back, on my left side. Forget about trying to sleep on my right side that's where most of my stomach pain comes from. The dr said that's normal. I tried sleeping on the couch, and recliner nothings working. Just seems each day gets worse. I mean I knew the recovery would be difficult but damn not this difficult. How long before you didn't feel much pain after being home? I have my first post-op appointment on Wednesday. I will hold out until then you never know I might be better then lol. Thanks a million!

I slept in a recliner the first week after surgery. It was easier to get up from. I also used a pillow to support my stomach when getting up or if I needed to cough.

Have you tried putting pillows under your knees when laying on your back, or between the knees when on your side? I get a lot of back/hip/leg pain and pillows in those positions tend to help.

I've tried it all and it's just not helping right now I'm in the recliner but every 15 mins I need to get up and walk around to help the discomfort in my leg.

sounds like the herniated discs were irritated and are now pressing on your sciatic nerve (big nerve running down the back of the leg). May want to check in with your ortho/spine doc if you have one (or your PCP) for suggestions-also have you tried warm rice packs to your lower back/buttock?

Thanks Dragonsmate. I will have to get some of those rice packs and try that. Never had a ortho spine dr or a pcp.