Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2014 pre-op group

Hi Kristin, my date is on the 21st and I've been on my pre-op diet since Monday. For me the first two days were awful trying to get used to drinking the shakes and all of the other liquids was hard, especially after being addicted to overeating for so many years. But since Wednesday I can honestly say that it much easier and I believer I've reached ketosis, the point where your body requires less food and you seem to have so much energy. As for freezing the shakes and eating them like popsicles, that seems to be a good option but be careful because the pre-op diet is set up to help you deal with liquids only after surgery. From reading others psots I see that each doctor is different in their approach to preparing us for surgery so only follow your doctors advic to be safe. I'm on here at least twice per day I would love to be your friend and follow you along on your journey. Have a blessed day and I pray that however you decide to get your liquids in it will get easier as the days go by.

Any April surgeries floating around out there yet? It's lonely here, I guess I'll just have to go stalk other post and pre op groups :-P

I'm April 24th! Started my pre-op diet Monday, and it's not as bas as I thought.

I'm praying for you and cheering you on the sidelines. I hope today and each day thereafter brings you relief from your pain an progress as you embark on your healing process. God Bless!!!

Jus checking in. Surgery was yesterday at 730 am. Pain isn't bad. I'm up and about good. Cath is out o2 is off. Nausea was the worst part if everything last night n this am but now feel good just tired. Off to bed for me, hoping to go home tomorrow! Blue ice test was gross for anyone who has to have it as was the swallow study lol

Yes, you must at least try it to see what happens. This is a blessing because the supplements can become very costly over time and if your insurance will pay for them why not allow them to do so? All the best to you!!!

Got Approved For My Supplements!!! Woo-Hoo!!! Just got a call from Insure informing me that my insurance is going to pay for all of my Protein supplements. Things are just getting sweeter and sweeter as the days go by. I thank God for all of these blessings that will allow me to have my surgery and regain control of my health and happiness. I'm feeling so blessed today :D :D :D

That's great! I had never thought of that. I'm checking into that tonorrow.

Checking in. Surgery was 4/8, today is my first day home. So glad to be home. Surgery went very well. Now I am working on getting the 30 ml of Fluid in every 15 minutes. I always wondered " how do you know if you drink to much ?" I can now answer that for those that also wondered - you get a wave of pain - just like a gas pain. It's goes quickly - but it's a warning sign that something was too fast. That is my biggest challenge going forward - slow down. I certainly am not hungry :) Just trying to do everything exactly right!

One more thing I would like to share - I did not touch any of the items that had been listed to bring to the hospital. The day you have surgery - you sleep and you are getting IV fluids. Day 2 I felt better but between the swallow study (they check for leaks) and trying to get 30ml down every hour / walking the hallways every few hours- I slept. Day 3 - fluids every 15 minutes, walking, IV still in - I slept. My surgeon did not allow the gasX strips, or listerine strips. Even picking up a magazine - I would fall asleep. I used the hospital slippers, due to the IV they kept me in johnnies. Just used a hair brush, LIP BALM (saved my life when no fluids are allowed and you are so dry) and face moisturizer.

When I did the swallow study - it was scarey because they give you 15 ml or so of a liquid and they have you swallow it all - I actually argued with the technichian because I said I can't swallow all of that - I was told to sip only - he was like - no just swallow it, we have to check for leaks, I said - I am going to get sick and have pain or something bad and he said "I do several of these every day - just swallow it all. I did and it was fine! Just wanted to let you all know.

Checking in. Surgery was 4/8, today is my first day home. So glad to be home. Surgery went very well. Now I am working on getting the 30 ml of Fluid in every 15 minutes. I always wondered " how do you know if you drink to much ?" I can now answer that for those that also wondered - you get a wave of pain - just like a gas pain. It's goes quickly - but it's a warning sign that something was too fast. That is my biggest challenge going forward - slow down. I certainly am not hungry :) Just trying to do everything exactly right!

One more thing I would like to share - I did not touch any of the items that had been listed to bring to the hospital. The day you have surgery - you sleep and you are getting IV fluids. Day 2 I felt better but between the swallow study (they check for leaks) and trying to get 30ml down every hour / walking the hallways every few hours- I slept. Day 3 - fluids every 15 minutes, walking, IV still in - I slept. My surgeon did not allow the gasX strips, or listerine strips. Even picking up a magazine - I would fall asleep. I used the hospital slippers, due to the IV they kept me in johnnies. Just used a hair brush, LIP BALM (saved my life when no fluids are allowed and you are so dry) and face moisturizer.

When I did the swallow study - it was scarey because they give you 15 ml or so of a liquid and they have you swallow it all - I actually argued with the technichian because I said I can't swallow all of that - I was told to sip only - he was like - no just swallow it, we have to check for leaks, I said - I am going to get sick and have pain or something bad and he said "I do several of these every day - just swallow it all. I did and it was fine! Just wanted to let you all know.

:D Hi Haley, thank you so much for taking the time to post this very valuable information. I planned to pack light and only take the clothing I planned to wear home because I figured between the IV's and being sleepy and in pain I would not use all of the other stuff. I will take my lip and face moisturizer and a toothbrush and toothpaste but that's it. I can use the hospital phone if needed. I really appreciate you today. Praying for a speedy recovery for you, God bless!!!

Thank you. That was very helpful and put me at ease a little.

I also didn't need very much in the hospital. Chapstick was necessary, as was a toothbrush. I did change into some of my own pjs on day two after I had a rinse off shower. That felt good! I brought my Kindle, but like Harley59 said, I would start to watch or read something and just fall asleep. I was restless several times, but couldn't really focus. Those are the times I would just get up and walk. My surgery was Monday and I have walked a path through my house now many times! We are having horrible winds and high levels of allergens in the air here, so i am not going to risk going outside for a walk. The last thing I need is a sneezing fit! Take care everyone!

I was discharged yesterday late afternoon. Had a rough night at home last night. Was up a lot, in pain, still had gas pains, feel really bloated & gross. Finally had a Real shower as soon as I got home which was really nice. I'm struggling with getting all my Protein in & Water. Seems like even though I been sipping it maybe I'm drinking it too fast. I suddenly get this discomfort pain in my chest & have to wait for it to pass. I haven't really been nauseous. But I'm still taking my pain meds that dr sent me home with. Hoping & praying each day gets easier for us all!

I'm on day 10 of my Optifast preop diet and my blood sugar keeps dropping.... Is this normal?!? What could I do for it?

My date is April 23rd.

My surgery is on April 24th. I am so excited and nervous!! What percentage of our weight do we have to loose in the liquid diet phase. 5 or 10%?

I'm in my room waiting on my surgeon!! I'm excited and nervous at the same time.

Good Luck to u!!! Keep me updated on how everything goes :)

I was discharged yesterday late afternoon. Had a rough night at home last night. Was up a lot, in pain, still had gas pains, feel really bloated & gross. Finally had a Real shower as soon as I got home which was really nice. I'm struggling with getting all my Protein in & Water. Seems like even though I been sipping it maybe I'm drinking it too fast. I suddenly get this discomfort pain in my chest & have to wait for it to pass. I haven't really been nauseous. But I'm still taking my pain meds that dr sent me home with. Hoping & praying each day gets easier for us all!

Going through the same thing. Walking seems to be the only thing that helps with the gas build up. Also if the liquids are room temp they're easier to go down and you don't get the tight feeling in your chest as much. Feel like I'm sleeping too much tho and not getting all my protein and water in. Remember when eating tons was like nothing and now even a little bit is the hardest thing lol.