Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded this morning 2/18- where's the pain? ;)

Hi again- thanks for all the advice! I am just so surprised. I can't believe my blessings. I went in for banding today- by myself because my wife had to work. I was so nervous- even updated my will last night. Can't believe how smooth everything went. My main concern was that this particular surgeon and practice is strong arming everyone to get the sleeve, which I believe is so that there is no long term patient follow-up like the band requires, and so they don't have to deal with your band idiosyncrasies. (Just my humble opinion, not trying to flame anyone but I guess I just did.)

In fact, I kept getting "haven't seen a band in a long time- wow" from nurses and staff as they came in to make the pre-op rounds. In any event, everyone was wonderful. Surgery was 1:15- turns out had a large hiatal hernia- no wonder I had been coughing every night for 3 years. Thus got 2 for 1 Tuesday special :) bates of Tuesday Tacos 2 for 1!

Woke up in recovery, sat in bed for 10 minutes, felt zero pain, got up went to the bathroom, felt zero pain. Got dressed and went home 20 minutes later. Have not slept, no pain meds, drinking fluids and doing the gas strips. Feel no gas pains. Feel no pain at all- keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Walked around the grocery store for an hour, did some shopping for the family, now just sitting up watching tv- no pain at all. In this was a blind study, I would totally think I was the placebo patient!

Thanks again for all the advice- looking forward to talking with you all more as I journey down this new path. If the pain comes, I'm ready and waiting- bring it on. Nothing good in life is ever easy- accept all the excess food I thoughtlessly ate over the past decades!

Congratulations! Hope everything keeps going as smoothly as it has for you so far. Gives me hope for my own surgery coming up soon.

Congrats on the surgery!! I was like you last Thursday when I had my surgery - no pain...However, my other shoe dropped yesterday and today - a lot of left shoulder pain, soreness, and headaches to boot! I did go back to work already, so maybe that's a contributing factor ...hope you stay pain free!! :-)

Uh-oh....now you got me worried. Figures as much. I will of course be honest and keep you posted when I hit the pain - thanks for the info.

Uh-oh....now you got me worried. Figures as much. I will of course be honest and keep you posted when I hit the pain - thanks for the info.

So sorry...didn't mean to worry you...If it makes you feel better, I think I am going to much and am getting dehydrated and worn out...my best piece of advice is to take it easy even if you think you can leap tall buildings... :-)

I didn't experience any pain either-went in for my surgery by myself, got a ride home that afternoon & was up and about entertaining & cooking for my sisters who came over to visit the very next day...had the procedure over my spring break, but really could have worked if I had to, easy peazy- you'll be fine! Good luck to you on the new start!

That's the best outlook to have! Hope it all continues positively for u!

That's wonderful news that you're doing so well!! I was banded yesterday (17th) and am having some discomfort, I believe its where my port is..right upper quadrant of my abdomen. I wasn't expecting it to be there at all but I'm sure I just have to give it a few more days. Where was yours placed? Sending you well wishes and hope you continue to heal quickly!!!

Congrats to you. To answer your question, I honestly have no idea where my port is. Tries poking around and don't feel anything. Also have about 5 bandages over sterri strips. Guess I should know but never asked.

Thank you for this info. Im scheduled for 3/10 and am super nervous.

Congrats and best of luck to you!

the port is generally behind the largest of your incisions. if any of you do get some gas pain you can feel it just about anywhere, lay on your left side this helps the most. I wish all of you speedy recoveries and I want to welcome you all to bandster world.

So happy for you! Isn't it great to have it over with -- all that anticipation. I was very surprised at how much easier it was than I thought it would be. I had never been an overnight patient in a hospital before and while I was very excited and feeling positive beforehand, I was also pretty nervous. Now at three months+ out I can hardly remember anything about it. I'm with you on the reasons for the preference doctors and insurance companies have for sleeve instead of the band -- it makes me feel lucky to have gotten my band when I did as it may be getting more difficult to find places to do it.

Congrats and best of luck to you! I am on day 5 post op and it's been hard for me. Today is just a little bit better and I'm starting to regain some strength. I do love the fact that it doesn't feel like I did 1000 crunches anymore when I sit up. Oh and my port is in my chest. It has not given me any problems though. It just swells up during the day.

Edited by MestizaBander