Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First post -- am I making the right decision?

any WLS can and do have complications (not just the band)

and any WLS can be successful (that includes the band)

adults can choose whichever to get and no one WLS is btter than the other

results vary with patients, their doctors etc

slea·zy

ˈslēzē/

adjective

(of a person or situation) sordid, corrupt, or immoral.

synonyms: corrupt, immoral, unsavory, disreputable; More

antonyms: reputable

(of a place) squalid and seedy.

"a sleazy all-night cafe"

synonyms: squalid, seedy, seamy, sordid, insalubrious, mean, cheap, low-class, run-down; More

antonyms: upmarket

dated

(of textiles and clothing) flimsy.

synonyms: revealing, skimpy; More

Origin

mid 17th cent.: of unknown origin.

Translate sleazy to

Use over time for: sleazy

Really???

I did answer your question...I'm not aware of the group you referred to. Perhaps you're a mole in said group?

Sky walker....please just make sure you've fully researched. Once you go under, it's done. Yes, all surgeries have risks. Be open to seeing the benefits AND the risks. Remember, gastric bands are removable; the damage they can do is irreversible. Best of luck to you in your Quest to become healthier.

i wasnt going to comment further on this tread or other type (which is better) posts

as it ends up being bad experiences vs good bull sh**it ..and various copy/pastings from the internet

to prove (their) point..

but i have to say to the OP or anyone reading my words, that what the band has giving me back in the last 20 months, far outweighs the risks it runs (and the ireverislbe damage it could or couldnt cause).....i took that (chance)....and got my life back.......i accept what comes... good or bad.......

Edited by ☠carolinagirl☠

My experience with my band surgeon was that he was more concerned with the mechanics of the band that how it was working (or not working for me). When I spoke to him about revising to sleeve, he suggested band over bypass. It seemed like he never wanted to remove the band. So I found another surgeon. And when the new surgeon removed the band he found a ton of damage - liver adhered to stomach, adhesions, and the stomach wall above the band was so thin he could see through it. There was so much damage that he could not revise to sleeve during that surgery. He toldme I needed a few months of healing

This is someone's true experience...

Banderella - I received a personal message from a new member who was replying to this thread! She's going through with the surgery despite what you've mentioned, she's just not coming on here anymore until after her surgery.

I understand that you've had problems and was sick from the band and I get that! But we are all trying to bring each other up on here! Just because the surgery didn't work for you doesn't mean that it's not going to work for someone else!

We all try to support each other - we really do - now this nice lady is going to go through the surgery and is going to stay away from this site that would have encouraged her decision and helped her along the way - so now she's just going to be on her own. It's really sad!

I'm not saying that you don't have your opinion about the lapband and all it's failures, you do we all have a right to whatever opinion that you choose! However, Almost all of us have sought the advise of a physician that has recommended this procedure to us, they give us the risks of this surgery and the risks for me from my physician was very very low. The advantages far outweighed the risks. That is plain and simple - no research or gimmicks!

Bandarella, What is your motive here? Are you so against WLS that all you do is it look for open opportunity to speak against it? All surgeries come with a risk, breast surgery, tonsil surgery, thyroid surgery..... Are you over there warning those people of their risks?

You are wearing me out.... I think I speak for everyone when I say please go away. Just stop and go stand on a corner and preach your doubt elsewhere.

Wow..I am dumbfounded. No concern for the potential problems....telling me to "go away"...

I'm blown away.

I don't need this. Just trying to spare someone else.

Wow..I am dumbfounded. No concern for the potential problems....telling me to "go away"... I'm blown away. I don't need this. Just trying to spare someone else.

Bye-Bye now.

Banderella,

I understand the risks, and thank you for sharing. I'm weighing these against the potential costs (of not having surgery and remaining obese) in my decision.

Again, thanks for sharing and I hope things go better for you.

The Lap Band is reversible , NOT the other ones, like sleeve ryn or rny, or gastric by pass or vsg so remember if you don't want them to re arrange or take part of your stomach , so why would some one say that gastric bypass is reversable when it's not , that is why I personally chose the band my self because if something did go wrong then I would know they could take it out and I still have my body and health know many people that things have happened with stapeling,b y pass and ryn, and they are in my family so I did my research thourghly and chose the band for that reason.

Sky walker....please just make sure you've fully researched. Once you go under, it's done. Yes, all surgeries have risks. Be open to seeing the benefits AND the risks. Remember, gastric bands are removable; the damage they can do is irreversible. Best of luck to you in your Quest to become healthier.

Edited by Debbie3sons

at age 66 I chose the Lapband. I had done everything to lose weight for 25 years. I had hired personal trainers, worked out and did weight watchers, Jenny, Nutrisystem, metabolic , shots pills and every gimmick advertised on TV. Nothing worked. while working out I did gain some muscles but my weight stayed pretty much the same. After talking with a friend who had lapband and lost 115 lbs I knew I had to do it. My diabetes was getting out of control, cholesterol was high, blood pressure was high. I was tired of being fat and tired of not being able to do anything with my grandkids and clothes shopping was torture. Okay, I had my surgery last Jan. lost 60 lbs so far, feel like a new person. I have had no issues with the band. Is it easy? no you have to Want it. Not really what I consider a diet but your choices are easier to make due to the appetite or portion controlling feature of the band. I also attend a support group once a month. The majority of the group are band patients but there are some sleeve patients and a by pass patient. I am not sure if it's normal but the sleeve and by pass folks have a hard time with malabsorption and take a ton of Vitamins. I take B12, D and a Multivitamin. that is it. They also have a drained look and some complain of pain when they eat. I just wanted to have a less invasive procedure that would be reversible in case I needed to be able to eat (cancer etc. ). You must look at your future and decide what you believe would be the best course of action. We are here to help.

I have to correct you on just one point: sleeve doesn't cause malabsorption, the intestines aren't bypassed at all. Sleeve is considered "restrictive" like band. RNY and DS are the malabsorptive surgeries where Vitamins must be taken to prevent deficiencies.

The Lap Band is reversible , NOT the other ones, like sleeve ryn or rny, or gastric by pass or vsg so remember if you don't want them to re arrange or take part of your stomach , so why would some one say that gastric bypass is reversable when it's not , that is why I personally chose the band my self because if something did go wrong then I would know they could take it out and I still have my body and health know many people that things have happened with stapeling,b y pass and ryn, and they are in my family so I did my research thourghly and chose the band for that reason.

Removable, but not reversible. Some come out of it with no after effects, others have lifelong damage.

I don't have any worthwhile experience to offer, as I'm only on the third month of prepatory dieting to qualify for insurance payment. As long as ten years ago, I investigated bypass surgery, backed off, then checked out banding a few years later, and once again, didn't commit.

Finally, I've reached the point where I can't go on being this big. I'm 69 years old, in a wheelchair most of the time and unable to do any meaningful calorie burning exercise, so I'm not going to lose on my own. I wear a brace as a result of nerve damage during hip replacement surgery, so I basically don't walk outside of puttering around my apartment.

I agree with Blissfully Banded about bypass surgery. For some it might be the right choice, but I couldn't get my mind around having my guts rearranged. The band seems to be a sensible alternative with fewer side effects and less drastic changes. At my stage of life, I don't need to end up weighing 115 lbs.; I just want to be healthy and not morbidly obese any longer.

I know several people who had a bypass and all are now right back where they started. I don't personally know a band patient unfortunately, so I hope getting to know you folks here will be good for me.

If I can offer one piece of advice, it is this: You are young now, but as you get older, losing will be harder and harder. Eventually you'll see physical deterioration like arthritis, sleep apnea, and maybe diabetes if you don't turn your life around. I've had one hip and two knees replaced due to arthritis and, yes, many thin people suffer from arthritis also, but I firmly believe if I hadn't beat up my body for so long with all the extra pounds, I wouldn't have suffered so much. I hope you will have the determination to go down this journey and succeed!