Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SF WLS- NEWBIE HERE! some insight please?

Hi K! I'm so happy to hear that everything is going so quick. How were the nutrition and lifestyle classes? Did you find them informative? Thats great that you were able to see your surgeon much sooner than you anticipated! How was your experience with your surgeon? Wow that's so great that he isn't asking you to lose anymore weight since that means your surgery date can be so soon. Did he give you an official surgery date yet or are you still waiting to confirm a date? How exciting!

And as for me I'm still in th beginning stages. I had orientation on 3/4 and signed up for my medical assessment on 3/14, lifestyle and nutrion classes on 3/17. I had to wait awhile since it's midterm time at school which makes it a bit difficult to miss school and travel to SSF. I hope my plan to get the surgery done this summer works out but we will see how everything goes!

Hey there - where are you in the process now? Im having surgery one week from tomorrow!

Hey there! Omgosh! Congratulations! That's was so quick. Are you excited? Nervous? How does it feel to be so close? Are you doing a pre op diet? Who is your surgeon?

I'm chugging along. I've had to spread my visits since I'm in school or I'd probably be farther along but I saw my surgeon last week & I was suppose to see the psychologist the same day but the canceled my appt. now I don't see him until next week. When I get approved I will be able to finally schedule surgery. But I'm hoping for the end of May because of school anyway.

Hi Monique; I was reading your posts and was wondering if you can tell me how busy the South San Francisco bariatric Surgery Department is and how long do you think it would take to hear back from them if I'm accepted into their program for Surgery? I am a Kaiser member and was referred last week by my PCP. I am very anxious of course. Thanks so much.

Hey there! Omgosh! Congratulations! That's was so quick. Are you excited? Nervous? How does it feel to be so close? Are you doing a pre op diet? Who is your surgeon?

I'm chugging along. I've had to spread my visits since I'm in school or I'd probably be farther along but I saw my surgeon last week & I was suppose to see the psychologist the same day but the canceled my appt. now I don't see him until next week. When I get approved I will be able to finally schedule surgery. But I'm hoping for the end of May because of school anyway.

Hi Monique; I was reading your posts and was wondering if you can tell me how busy the South San Francisco bariatric Surgery Department is and how long do you think it would take to hear back from them if I'm accepted into their program for Surgery? I am a Kaiser member and was referred last week by my PCP. I am very anxious of course. Thanks so much.

I went through the SSF kaiser. It was 2 months from the first orientation class on february 18th until I had surgery on April 16th. It would have been quicker but I had to work around my work schedule. I didn't have any comorbidities except PCOS, so sleep studies and other tests could delay things. Each surgeon has their own requirements on how much weight they want you to loose before surgery, so your surgery date is partly determined on your compliance with the pre-op diet. My BMI was below 40, so my surgeon didn't require me to loose much. Typically, it's 20 pounds less than your weight on orientation day.

Edited by Bluesea71

Hi Monique, thanks so much for the quick reply. I to have a BMI of about 36-37, but I have sleep apnea, high blood pressure, triglycerides are high, and PCOS. So I'm hoping they call me soon. I feel like this would be the right tool to help me let go of my extra weight I've been yo-yoing with since my late teens early twenties. I know if I don't do something I won't live as long as I should, so I'm really motivated to have surgery. Do they primarily do gastric sleeve and gastric bypass at South San Francisco Kaiser? How have you done since surgery?

Hi Monique, thanks so much for the quick reply. I to have a BMI of about 36-37, but I have sleep apnea, high blood pressure, triglycerides are high, and PCOS. So I'm hoping they call me soon. I feel like this would be the right tool to help me let go of my extra weight I've been yo-yoing with since my late teens early twenties. I know if I don't do something I won't live as long as I should, so I'm really motivated to have surgery. Do they primarily do gastric sleeve and gastric bypass at South San Francisco Kaiser? How have you done since surgery?

This is bluesea71, not Monique :). You won't have a problem being accepted with your comorbidities. I qualified just having PCOS. Kaiser does all three surgeries. Gastric bypass, the sleeve and the band. I've been doing great. First 24 hours are pure hell. I felt 70% better the next day and somewhat normal by day 4. I haven't had gas or any issues. I consider myself lucky though! You never know what your personal experience will be.

Hi Bluesea71, I realized after I did the post you were not Monique. So sorry. I have a friend who had the gastric sleeve done in New York and said the same thing, that after surgery it was pain city, no speed bumps allowed on the drive home! She said that after the first two days it gets much better. I assume if you do exactly what they tell you everything should go pretty well as far as the weight is concerned. Did you decide with the surgeon on gastric sleeve or is it the surgeon who actually decides what is best? How long did you stay in the hospital? Do they check for leaks the day after surgery? That's probably one of my largest fears is the leakage.

Thanks again for being so prompt at posting.

I just got the call from Terry at the SSF Kaiser Bariatric Dept letting me know I was accepted and my Surgery Overview is next Tuesday. I am so excited.

Any words of wisdom?

Just wondering how all you ladies are doing post surgery??? Hope all is well. I have an appt on Monday with Bariatric to see if I qualify, from my first appt with the pcp I have a BMI of 39 and only comorbidity is pcos, pre hypertension, high triglycerides, I'm so nervous, I hope I qualify!! Would be great to hear from you ladies ;)

I had my MIni Gastric Bypass in Tijuana at the INT Hospital with dr. Ponce de leon on Apr 23rd. I weighed 320 lbs and have lost 126 lbs in the past 8 months. I now run 6 miles every other day, am no longer diabetic, nor have high BP, Cholestrol, GERD, or sleep apnea.

I had only one minor issue and that was a week after I got back to Canada.

One of my centre incisions became infected, or rather a couple of deep stitches did, and it required me to see my doctor daily for six weeks so he could repack wound.

The infection had gone deep and I now have a small hernia below that incision. It doesn't hurt and pops in and out but causes no problem. I'll probably get it tended to when I get a Tummy Tuck.

The MGB is free in Canada but in my province of Saskatchewan the waiting list is 5 years. At 57 years of age I didn't have 5 years to wait so I paid the $12,000 Canadian myself for the flight and surgery. It was the best gift I've ever given myself.

INT is the cleanest hospital I've ever been in anywhere and the staff, nurses, and doctors were top notch. ponce de leon has been doing these surgeries for 18 yrs and knows what he's doing. They had a car waiting at the San Diego airport for me and drive me across the border to INT and then back four days later. post-217717-14208701072323_thumb.jpg post-217717-14208701200857_thumb.jpg post-217717-14208701326206_thumb.jpg