Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Help Me Choose! :)

I'm getting the sleeve done. (Tomorrow!!) I'm 5'2 and was 314 when I started this, I'm currently 296. My surgeon and I chose the sleeve. He said that while I might be able to lose 5% more of my excess fat, that the sleeve is just as good, and he does a majority of them now. I wasn't a huge fan of the rerouting of my innards, so I'm fine if I don't lose that 5% more.

just wanted to say/ask why do people think you can't lose as much weight with this?

I have lost 205lbs in total from heaviest weight before pre op diet 216lbs total that's just over 50% of my body weight and although its going at a snails pace now I haven't stopped.

so from my experience its more than possible to lose a lot of weight with this option by the looks of it many members of this board also lose a lot of weight/get to goal sooooo why is it always said its not as good or as high in weight loss numbers/percentages?

I'm 5.3 and started at 264. I lost 100 pounds in 7 months and feel great. I can't tell you what would be best for you, but I can tell you why I chose the sleeve.

First, I was deathly afraid of dumping. I am not a huge sugar eater but I wanted to live as normal of a life as possible. I know too many people who get deathly ill after bypass and I didn't want to explain my surgery to anyone if I turned out to be a dumper.

Second, I hate swallowing pills. I knew I would start out great and eventually stop taking them. I knew that with my sleeve, I still need to ( but I don't) and I'm going to be ok. (My levels are tested every 6 months and they were great except for my D which I've always been deficient in. Dammit.)

Third, malabsorption. It scared me. I didn't want to risk it.

Fourth, I had three friends who sleeved a year before me and their results were great and their healing process was so much easier than the bypass people I know.

For ME, the sleeve was right. I'm sure you will figure out what's best for you. :)

just wanted to say/ask why do people think you can't lose as much weight with this?

I have lost 205lbs in total from heaviest weight before pre op diet 216lbs total that's just over 50% of my body weight and although its going at a snails pace now I haven't stopped.

so from my experience its more than possible to lose a lot of weight with this option by the looks of it many members of this board also lose a lot of weight/get to goal sooooo why is it always said its not as good or as high in weight loss numbers/percentages?

It's a statistic fact based on current research available. On average, the data shows people generally lose more of their excess weight with RNY. That being said - that's an average, and a statistic. None of us have to be statistics. We can do better (or worse) depending on how we eat. It's up to us.

The research shows that RNY ppl on average lose 3-5 pounds per week and Sleeve ppl lose on average 2-3 pounds per week.

I never doubted the sleeve was right for me. Also I no longer like sweet stuff. Instead I prefer savory. My tastes changed early on. Like right after surgery.

I too had high starting weight 273. I think SW was 252.

Good luck!

I get that its fairly new in the world of wls but its more common in the us than in the uk and you have a longer history and statistical record than we do.
I was told that point blank but its just as effective if not more so as more and more are being done and more data is collected they are beginning to find this is actually better than the bypass.
One doctor I saw in my team did try and push the bypass on me telling me I wouldn’t do as well and gain weight and need the bypass in 2 years so why not do it now and save the time and money, that’s when my surgeon whos been doing wls for 10 years told me the facts and no I don’t need bypass at all.
So I just don’t understand why everyone is being told over and over its not as good.
Its kinda like they wanna defeat you before you even start by telling you its not as good and wont last so don’t get your hopes up.
Just crazy to me.

Edited by sassypants

I was a huge sweet eater before my surgery. I think it's safe to say I was addicted. One of the keys to the sleeve to me is that I am not allowed to eat sugar, which the more I read, is pure evil.

After I detoxed after the surgery, and got the sugar out of my system, I couldn't believe the difference. All my cravings are gone. I have lost 78 pounds in four months, and just hit Onederland. My skin is better, I have way more energy, and best of all, I don't feel the cravings that have plagued me for years.