Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just told today by my doc that I should have an endoscopy since I went for a check up after having a fill 2 weeks ago and being filled to 3 cc's. I told him I don't really feel any different since the last fill and I told him I was able to eat a whole Tomato sandwich in about 15 min. He said I shouldn't be able to do that. He said it would be as a precaution just to make sure there was no erosion and that if everything was OK, then I would get another fill. Naturally I'm going crazy, especally after what Donali went through. Can anyone tell me what sort of prep I will need to do for this test. The doc said it only takes about 15 min. Thanks

I am unclear as to why he wants to do the ENDO. If it is for maintenance then by all means have it done. We all should have one done after a year. That is to check out the band and the stoma to make sure nothing is going on that shouldn't be. And who is to say that what you are eating isn't OK for you.

IF it were me I would have the ENDO and give myself some piece of mind. They sedate you but don't put you to sleep. They give you some nice "I don't care what you do" drugs. I had one done just before my port revision surgery in July to rule out erosion. No complications at all.

Donali has had one and I am sure she will chime in to give her perspective. I am sure there are others as well. Leatha had one too.

Penni,

I definitely will have it done although I'm not happy about it. My doctor doesn't have you get an Endo as part of a yearly checkup. He only has you do it if sonething doesn;t seem right or if you are having problems. The main reason he wants me to have it done is because I am filled to 3 cc's in a 4 cc band and that I don't feel any different with this fill I had from the 2.75 one previously. I don't think many of his patients are filled this high.

I have one once a year (for previous non-band problems). The endoscope is a flexible tube w/ a camera that they put down your throat and look at your esophagus and stomach interior. They take pictures and will give you some to put in your family album. You'll need to be on Clear Liquids the day before. The day of the testing, you'll get to wear the cute little backless gown, paper shower cap, and paper booties. They'll start an i.v. (using a small butterfly needle) for your drugs. I'm a big-time gagger, so they know now to knock me out. But it's easier to shake off than regular anesthesia. They won't let you drive yourself home afterwards (as a precaution). You'll probably have a little sore throat for a day. You may or may not be a little groggy and want to sleep after you get home. Just drink lots of liquids afterwards and your throat will be fine. You'll do fine!:)

I ended up not having an EGD, but they were going to do one during my band surgery. He decided not to once he got in there.

With an EGD, they put a scope through your mouth and down your throat to look at the insides all the way to the stomach. An upper GI is merely a series of film done in Radiology with a barium swallow.

Nowadays with the EGD, they most often leave you conscious but give you drugs that make you not care/forget what has happened, but this allows you to help swallow during the procedure. I had one done in '83 and they put me to sleep completely. Times have changed.

Hope this helps!

Hi Chris -

I think that's great that your doc wants to do an endoscopy just to rule out erosion as a possibility for your lack of restriction.

My endoscopy was a breeze - I don't know what they slip into that IV, but it seemed like I was awake, and then I was awake again, but time had passed inbetween, where I had some uncomfortable dreams about something stuck in my throat... lol

I did have a sore throat the rest of the day, a little nagging cough, but all in all I have to say it was no big deal.

Let us know what they find out, okay?

Good luck, and wishing you all the best!

**hugs**

Just wanted to let you all know that I'm having the Endoscopy on Monday at around 10AM. I had the consult with the GI doc yesterday at 2 and he said he will tell me what's going on as soon as I wake up. (I'm hoping I get completely knocked out!) He asked me why I was having it done and when I told him, he kinda said that it would be unusual to have erosion since I don't really have any symptoms. I asked him if he ever saw a case and he said only one. Now I'm getting myself all crazy about where that scope has been before it gets to me and how they clean it. Yikes!!!! I will be pretty groggy when I get home but I will post the outcome. Thanks for all your good wishes.

LOL. Funny how the mind takes us down some routes, huh? Well. I work in hospitals and they do, in fact, clean the scopes. lol. Due to healthcare regulations, there are lots of checks and re-checks to make sure this is done, also. Don't worry.

Hopefully, this will be a simple reassurance that all is well. If you get any sort of other news, then you'll just do the next best thing, right? We're all crossing our fingers here that all is well. :mad:

You all are a pleathera of info...

Leatha Thanks for asking... I have been great. It is just my busy time of year right now. School is about to track off and I have parent teacher confrences and I am gearing back up to deal with my track team...(outa breath) and today I had a bridal shower for one of my best friends. So sorry if I am sparatic for the next couple of weeks. Thinks are great though. I am a teenager again...I can wear 18's Yea!

For those of you who have had this procedure after banding, did you get an unfill before it was done? The GI doc that is doing it says I don't need to be unfilled. Also did it irritate your stoma and did you have to be on liquids for a few days? I know my surgeon will be on hand for this procedure but I was just wondering . I'm having it done tomorrow at around 10AM.