Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

just making sure this is normal...

following my nutritionist's plan and I am 6 days post-op. She wants me getting 60 grams of Protein and 24 ounces of Fluid in daily and this is a mighty struggle. No matter how small a sip I take, I get this very sharp upper abdominal pain that will go away but ffs, it is annoying. I was only able to get in 1/3 an powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury shake and 1 pre-packaged muscle milk in yesterday with some Powerade zero and that was it. Using Gas-X strips and taking my nausea medicine but I am just checking with everyone what their experience has been the first week post-op. I feel like a big baby at times because I am so tired but I am trying to remind myself this is normal...thanks

Yep, totally normal. It'll have eased considerably by day 11-14 onwards...

The sharp pain may well be where your tethering stitch is.. That ones a nag until it dissolves...

Drinking is always a tough thing to get used to. Sadly there's no way to rush it.. just step by step, day by day it gets a little better.

If you start feeling ill, get a temperature or anything feels really bad.. Get yourself to your doctor as a precaution.

Wishing you a speedy recovery :)

thanks for the reassurance-I am trying to go slow but I hate it when the drinks get room temp-think I will just pour out a small amount at a time and leave the rest in the fridge. No fevers and my incision sites look good. bless all of you helping me on this journey <hugs>

They taste like hell to me, but post op Isopure helped me. 20 oz of liquid with 40 grams of Protein. Helped with getting both items out of the way

This same thing has been happening to me. Exactly the same thing. I don't believe its part of healing since its triggered by drinking, eating, and doing common things. The pain is unreal. I don't know what it is, but I'm calling the doctor tomorrow. I was sleeved 8 days ago.

ok now a different issue and one that is highly embarrassing....please understand I am not trying to be gross and this is the disclaimer to stop reading now if you don't want to get on the TMI bus but...

Last night I had not 1 but 3 episodes of diarrhea-and I mean completely liquid-I could not control. Lost at least one nice pair of panties I loved, had to clean up a mess on the bathroom floor and was in tears showering to clean up 3 separate times. Understand, this has never happened to me before so I was quite shocked. No abdominal cramping, no warning what-so-ever. I was only able to get in 1.5 shakes yesterday and was pushing fluids but I had stopped taking my pro-biotics (cleared with my surgeon) 2 days ago because I felt they were upsetting my stomach...I plan on talking with my surgeon and will go see him earlier than next Monday if it continues but I have not seen anyone mention it before...there are so many new sensations with this procedure it is hard to really understand them completely until you actually go thought them...thanks for any insight.

I'm 11 days post-op and still on liquids. I've had a number of embarrassing moments which have sometimes been uncontrollable - I now carry extra knickers with me just in case. I had irritable bowel prior to the surgery so it's not entirely new to me, but the frequency and urgency have definitely increased. I'm really hoping it eases once I start on puréed foods. Sorry for TMI!

ok now a different issue and one that is highly embarrassing....please understand I am not trying to be gross and this is the disclaimer to stop reading now if you don't want to get on the TMI bus but...

Last night I had not 1 but 3 episodes of diarrhea-and I mean completely liquid-I could not control. Lost at least one nice pair of panties I loved, had to clean up a mess on the bathroom floor and was in tears showering to clean up 3 separate times. Understand, this has never happened to me before so I was quite shocked. No abdominal cramping, no warning what-so-ever. I was only able to get in 1.5 shakes yesterday and was pushing fluids but I had stopped taking my pro-biotics (cleared with my surgeon) 2 days ago because I felt they were upsetting my stomach...I plan on talking with my surgeon and will go see him earlier than next Monday if it continues but I have not seen anyone mention it before...there are so many new sensations with this procedure it is hard to really understand them completely until you actually go thought them...thanks for any insight.

This sounds a bit like dumping syndrome. Happened to me when I ate anything with sugar in it early out from surgery. Mouth to toilet in, ooh, under 10 minutes. Doesn't happen to me now, thankfully, but its usually a response to things which as of yet, the body can't cope with all that well. If you're drinking Protein shakes with artificial sweetener in it, I'd put my money on it being that. I also got it with salad when I first tried it..

Don't panic too much about it. Again, its your body calibrating. The only things you have to be mindful of is when you're losing so much Fluid that you could become dehydrated. Ergo, you have to focus on getting your fluids in to compensate.

If you want to 'test' it. Eat something you suspect could have caused it. Nothing else. Wait 40 minutes. If it happens within that time frame, or immediately after eating the next thing, you know its dumping syndrome. If you just continue to go to the loo all day every day, you may need to get it explored because of the risks associated with the dehydration and potential bugs in the system.

Nothing to panic about at this stage though. Keep smiling :)

you guys are awesome-thank you! So far, no episodes today and I finally found a shake that doesnt upset my tummy, doesnt make me run to the toilet and it tastes fine. Walked 25 minutes today because the weather was just too beautiful...a good day :)

<3