Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please tell me there will come a day.....

I can eat a small healthy meal without feeling like I am bursting at the seams. Only 2 weeks post op. Any solid I put it my stomach and some thick liquids make me feel like there is a vice grip on my stomach. I know its early on and this is normal but I just want to know I won't have to feel this uncomfortable every time I try to enjoy a meal. Thanks

I am not talking about gorging myself with food I am talking about enjoying a small portion without enduring this. Thanks

Small healthy meal at 2 weeks post op. What does this mean? I remember still drinking 1-2 oz of Protein shake on the hour at 2 weeks.

It is get easier as time goes on. Eventually you will be able to set 3-5 oz of Protein and a couple oz of veggies with a feeling of satisfaction, not a full busting at the seams feeling. Everyone is different, but I would say by month 6 you should have been able to achieve this.take it easy. Experiment with different foods and different quantities. It is this personal experience that will help you through the initial months of introducing foods and larger quantities. Some foods definitely are harder to eat then others. For example, raw veggies or hamburger might take 4-5 months. chicken and pork should be easier to eat between month 2-3. Start your portions small when you get into solids or you may get too full, bust, slime, throw up, etc. good luck.

Edited by Fiddleman

At two weeks I was only on. Liquids. I started eating purée at week 4. What does your small meal consist of. I was not allowed yo est solids till week 6. And my body certainly was not ready for purée or even worse, solids during week two.. What eating guidelines were given to you. I had eating stages to follow: Clear Liquids, liquids such as Protein Shakes, purée foods, soft foods, then a high Protein , low carb diet . Check with your nurse, doc or nutritionist yo make sure u are following their protocol.

Small healthy meal at 2 weeks post op. What does this mean? I remember still drinking 1-2 oz of Protein shake on the hour at 2 weeks.

It is get easier as time goes on. Eventually you will be able to set 3-5 oz of Protein and a couple oz of veggies with a feeling of satisfaction, not a full busting at the seams feeling. Everyone is different, but I would say by month 6 you should have been able to achieve this.take it easy. Experiment with different foods and different quantities. It is this personal experience that will help you through the initial months of introducing foods and larger quantities. Some foods definitely are harder to eat then others. For example, raw veggies or hamburger might take 4-5 months. chicken and pork should be easier to eat between month 2-3. Start your portions small when you get into solids or you may get too full, bust, slime, throw up, etc. good luck.

No those shakes go down very easy.. I can finish 8 oz in an hour and Water as well.

At two weeks I was only on. Liquids. I started eating purée at week 4. What does your small meal consist of. I was not allowed yo est solids till week 6. And my body certainly was not ready for purée or even worse, solids during week two.. What eating guidelines were given to you. I had eating stages to follow: clear liquids, liquids such as Protein shakes, purée foods, soft foods, then a high Protein , low carb diet . Check with your nurse, doc or nutritionist yo make sure u are following their protocol.

at my one week follow up I asked if I could advance from full liquids to pureed b/c I was tolerating full liquids well. However, when I told doc what I was eating he said I was really already eating pureed b/c I would take Soups and run them through blender. So he said continue on with a soft diet if I have been tolerating pureed. I try to get at least one soft meal in a day... not b/c I am hungry just b/c I am so sick of shakes non-stop.

Don't rush your system, or possibly complicate your stomach's healing process. Take it easy. (IMO).

Edited by Dr-Patient

you shouldn’t be on solid food yet it takes so much more effort for your still healing still swollen still pi*sed off stomach to break down.

The reason you break food down in a puree form is to do half the hard work for you and give your stomach a break from working so hard to deal with it while healing.

Plus it works differently now over half of it was tossed away glands that release hormones and certain stomach acids etc are gone it has to learn how to break down what your putting into it all over again from the start.

I know it can be boring and you feel like your mouth forgot how to work as it doesn’t chew but its only a really small length of time in the scheme of things and you need to be as kind to your sleeve as possible while its healing.

I feel ya! I'm on full liquid diet now almost 2 weeks post op and could barely get in 3 tea spoons of greek yogart, felt like I was going to burst! It's crazy and amazing all at once!

I was on liquids for 2 weeks as well, then the next stage is soft foods and so forth. Slowly but surely you will be able to enjoy a bigger menu. Be patient with yourself too. Having said that I remember when i could add soft boiled eggs chopped into teeny tiny egg salad bits and pieces and I was Thanking God for something to chew.