Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How and when to stop losing weight?

I'm 11 weeks out and down 50 pounds (HW 256, CW 206). Honestly, if I just stayed at my current weight forever, I'd be happy. I have 190 as a semi arbitrary goal weight, which would be something like a 27 BMI (still "overweight" but good in my book).

My real question is how and when to stop losing weight? I'm able to eat so little now and and have such limited desire to eat. If I continue with the current intake, I'm concerned that I will blow past 190, which I don't think would look very good. As the weeks go by, will I just naturally be able to eat more and will my weight just stabilize on its own? Did anyone intentionally try to eat higher calorie foods to slow / stop weight loss? Not panicking or anything, but given my history this is just a totally foreign concept.

I am four months out, since day of surgery have lost over 95 pounds and still losing. I am a male and weigh 156 at this point. Still losing.

I think about that too. My situation is slightly different. I lost 90 pounds with the band before I had complications & had to remove it and replace it with the sleeve. I'm only 4 weeks post op, and now weigh 141 at 5'3. I don't mind going down to 135, but after that my face gets too thin & I look sick. Not sure how much more I might still lose but I've lost about 14 pounds in a month's time, so I"m unsure what to expect.

Time will tell.

I am four months out, since day of surgery have lost over 95 pounds and still losing. I am a male and weigh 156 at this point. Still losing.

Umm, isn't that a problem? Are you OK with your current weight? Any plan to stop the weight loss?

I don't find it to be a problem, I feel I look healthy very much so. If it came to the point of losing to much, then I would replace a meal with an Ensure Protein drink to maintain whatever weight I am at at that time. I am not under weight, nor do I plan on it. Attached is a pic to show my before and after and to ensure I look healthy and that things are 'good'. Their actually amazing :-)

post-178999-0-50148400-1392265206_thumb.jpg

post-178999-0-41983500-1392265214_thumb.jpg

I'm 11 weeks out and down 50 pounds (HW 256, CW 206). Honestly, if I just stayed at my current weight forever, I'd be happy. I have 190 as a semi arbitrary goal weight, which would be something like a 27 BMI (still "overweight" but good in my book). My real question is how and when to stop losing weight? I'm able to eat so little now and and have such limited desire to eat. If I continue with the current intake, I'm concerned that I will blow past 190, which I don't think would look very good. As the weeks go by, will I just naturally be able to eat more and will my weight just stabilize on its own? Did anyone intentionally try to eat higher calorie foods to slow / stop weight loss? Not panicking or anything, but given my history this is just a totally foreign concept.

Man, you are going to end up well below 190. You're what, 5'10"? I'm guessing you will end up around 170-175. As far as stopping losing weight, purposely eating bad foods can be a slippery slope that could result in a constant grazing or eating of junk foods. And that could result in weight regain. These forums are filled with folks who have regained significant amounts of weight after being at "goal."

Edited by cubbies76

I don't find it to be a problem, I feel I look healthy very much so. If it came to the point of losing to much, then I would replace a meal with an Ensure Protein drink to maintain whatever weight I am at at that time. I am not under weight, nor do I plan on it. Attached is a pic to show my before and after and to ensure I look healthy and that things are 'good'. Their actually amazing :-)

attachicon.gif:

attachicon.gif:

You look great. Good for you.

Man, you are going to end up well below 190. You're what, 5'10"? I'm guessing you will end up around 170-175. As far as stopping losing weight, purposely eating bad foods can be a slippery slope that could result in a constant grazing or eating of junk foods. And that could result in weight regain. These forums are filled with folks who have regained significant amounts of weight after being at "goal."

Completely agree on not wanting to purposely eat bad foods. The strange thing is that I have absolutely no desire to eat junk. I've had a few potato chips or spoons of ice cream over the last month and that feeling of just wanting to eat one after another is totally gone. I'm hoping that my capacity catches up so that I can eat enough of the healthy stuff to reach equilibrium somewhere above 170!!! I can eat slightly more now than a month ago. I hear that capacity keeps growing until around six months and that some even complain of NOT having enough constriction, which wouldn't be good either.

If you are 5'10" or so, I would say to not go below 170. Everyone says I look too skinny when around 170 so I maintain 175-180. This puts me comfortably in 32" Levi's and most medium shirts with a 17% body fat.