Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else feel like you won't be successful with VSG after failed lap band?

I got the lap band 6 years ago hoping it would be the "be all end all" of my weight loss. I did well the first year and lost 60 pounds. But, I had a prolapse and had to have surgery again. After that point, I gained back the weight and never could seem to lose it again. I felt like such a failure. I knew that the reason the band didn't work was because I didn't do what I was supposed to. I ate mushy foods that were easier on my band so that I didn't have the discomfort.

Fast forward to November 26 and my revision from band to sleeve. I lost 3 pounds pre-op and another 15 within the first few weeks after surgery. I've lost an additional 12 since then. I'm 2.5 months out with a total loss since surgery of 24 pounds. Can't say I'm thrilled with that. I'm eating what I should but find myself wanting sweets and other treats. I've indulged a few times with unpleasant results. I'm working out and trying to drink all of my Water. Perhaps I'm just a slow loser.

But, I can't shake this feeling that I'm a failure in my weight loss journey. I failed at the band, could I fail at the VSG as well? I did so much research before I decided on this and it looked like everyone loved it and did well with it. Why aren't I?

Does anyone else feel this way?

I had the band put in 7 years ago. I had a slip and they repositioned the same band. About 2 years ago the pain started again. I had the band removed this past Sept. And had the sleeve done on Jan. 28th. I do not feel that I failed with the band. I lost my weight with it and gained it all back but I feel that the band failed me. I think the band has to many problems to still be on the market, but it is.

As far as the sleeve I have had it for two weeks. The first week I lost 8 pounds and the second I didn't lose any. It looks like it is going to be a slow process. I am following the plan but it is going slow. I also have a taste for sweets but am not indulging.

I think you are doing good. You have lost about 2 pounds a week. It sounds like a healthy loss. You still have a good six months to lose the weight. I know it is discouraging when you hear other people are losing such large numbers. I to feel this way. I also am afraid it isn't going to happen for me. I am just going to keep doing what I am support to do. I hope you don't feel like a failure because you are not. The band failed you and the sleeve is working it is just slower than you thought it would be. It's going to work just be patient. I need to take my own advise too.

I had my band for almost 4 yrs before it slipped. Had a revision in July 2013. I've now lost a whopping 24 lbs in 7 mths. Most of this was the first 2 mths. I've been tossing the same 2 lbs back and forth for 5 mths now.

I learned how to "eat around the band" therefore learning to "eat around the sleeve". I'm hungry often, only able to eat a few bites, but hungry again 90 mins later. I know if I focus on those last 18 lbs I have left, they'll eventually come off. I prided myself so much on my weightloss virtually "work free", meaning I eat whatever I want, just much less of it that I feel jipped having to actually work at it.

I've got to stop thinking that wls is the magic bullet I thought it was. The last 18 lbs aren't gunna come off without some hard work.

Is this kinda where ur at 2?

I had my band for almost 4 yrs before it slipped. Had a revision in July 2013. I've now lost a whopping 24 lbs in 7 mths. Most of this was the first 2 mths. I've been tossing the same 2 lbs back and forth for 5 mths now.

I learned how to "eat around the band" therefore learning to "eat around the sleeve". I'm hungry often, only able to eat a few bites, but hungry again 90 mins later. I know if I focus on those last 18 lbs I have left, they'll eventually come off. I prided myself so much on my weightloss virtually "work free", meaning I eat whatever I want, just much less of it that I feel jipped having to actually work at it.

I've got to stop thinking that wls is the magic bullet I thought it was. The last 18 lbs aren't gunna come off without some hard work.

Is this kinda where ur at 2?

Yep, it sure is. But, I do feel like I'm working at it. I ate around the band by eating slushy foods. I am eating solid sources of Protein but, like you, I'm hungry within 90 minutes after eating. I wonder if I'm going to sabotage myself with the sleeve like I did with the band and I SO don't want to.

I was banded for 10 years and had the same fears. Look at my signature and profile to see my success! You too can do it. But it is work. I used the lessons from that "failure" to help create my success. I am so glad I took that leap of faith! !!

24 pounds lost in 2 1/2 months sounds great to me! Try to focus on the positive and give yourself credit for every good decision you make through this. Sometimes when we worry about failing we actually bring it on.

I have a similar history and have similar worries about failure. I am trying to prepare myself for losing slowly and just focusing on the longterm and establishing and maintaining healthy habits. No one is perfect all the time, the trick is getting back on the horse after falling off. Wishing you well!

24 pounds lost in 2 1/2 months sounds great to me! Try to focus on the positive and give yourself credit for every good decision you make through this. Sometimes when we worry about failing we actually bring it on.

I have a similar history and have similar worries about failure. I am trying to prepare myself for losing slowly and just focusing on the longterm and establishing and maintaining healthy habits. No one is perfect all the time, the trick is getting back on the horse after falling off. Wishing you well!

Thank you so much. You are very right about looking at the positive. Sometimes I have a hard time doing that. :) Thank you all for all of your words. Just reminds me what I need to do and what I need to look at!

I was banded for 10 years and had the same fears. Look at my signature and profile to see my success! You too can do it. But it is work. I used the lessons from that "failure" to help create my success. I am so glad I took that leap of faith! !!

I have to agree with CGJ, I had a lapband 5 yrs ago and only lost 60 lbs. It was extremely hard and very painful and the vomitting and reflux problems almost scarred me internally. I had to fight to get my sleeve, I wanted to give up but I knew inside that I was worth fighting for. When i finally got approved for my sleeve I knew it was the 2nd chance and I need to make it work for me. Yes, I have hit stalls just like others but it wont keep me down. Dont let the small stalls get you down push on towards your own victory. Many here have had revisions and it may take a little longer but you can do it!!

I was banded in 2005 and did lose 100 pounds.. Then my band slipped and I gained it back....I had revision on 11/27/13. I've lost at a good pace but recently found myself eating more and making some poor choices. I'm not afraid of failure but I am afraid of not getting to my goal. Those are two different fears I guess. At this point, I view the revision as a success as I have lost about 65 pounds. I want to loose more and I need to find the motivation to persevere. Some times I'm just like, "aIl I want is a frickin cookie". But there have been times, I've had a bite of said cookie and I think it wasn't as great as I anticipated it to be. So I guess those kind of experiences let me know that my craving isn't the same as it had been. If I have just a small bite, I'm happy with that and I can move on because it often isn't as good as I thought it would be.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the posting, usually I read and don't respond...

I was banded in 2006 and will soon have my revision to VSG February 27th. I'm kinda scared and hate to have to learn a new way of life. I can't seem to get my fills past .5 in my 4 cc band, when I try I'm very sick, vomiting etc. can't even swallow my saliva. I know my band is stretched, seen it on X-rays. I went 30 days with no fill trying to get it back in place and gained 30 lbs. I'm back with a fill and lost a few pounds but still have 25 to go... X-rays still show it to be stretched...So I'm tired of fighting with it and. Nina, my Dr.'s Assistant assures me I'll love the sleeve. Do y'all like the sleeve better than the band?

I went with my sister when she got the sleeve and she was in so much pain after surgery and also sick.

How did y'all feel after surgery?

Thanks for your time...

Rena

I have had my lap band since 2007 and never was a big weight loser with it.all I have done is put on more weight. But tomorrow I will meet with my doctor and discuss what will be my best option. I'm really pushing for a sleeve but now I'm wondering about it. Why? All because I seen that Rosie O'Donnell had it done in July 2013 an only have lost of a total 40 pounds. It's been 7 months! It seem like she shoulda lost more by now. That why I'm wondering if this procedure best or if gastric would be better!!!!!