Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had some fluid taken out!

Hi everyone, I had an adjustment early December which put me up to 10ml in a 14 ml band. Mid January I started waking up in the middle of the night coughing and choking. I let it go as I knew I had another appointment early feb. As it turns out, it's a common sign the band is to tight. I honestly felt like I had good restriction never hungry eating small portions etc. but just the terrible chocking coughing at night. The dr has taken .5 ml out and now I find myself hungry and looking for food.

Has anyone else had these issues? And did your doctor do more fills after that event. I'm just worried I'm not going to get as good restriction again, but obviously don't want to be chocking in my sleep.

I have had the band for 18 months now and have only lost 46lb. Admittedly for 6 months there I didn't go to the dr for an adjustment during the early stages as I thought I was going fine. Wrong thing to do I know.

I have felt a bit flat and lacking energy particularly the last few months. I was going to the gym regularly prior and eating a good balanced meal. But lately, I feel tired no energy and just plan over it. I don't know what to do to get my motivation back.

I had problems during the night as you described, including reflux..., but I learned it was from eating too close to bedtime....I made a rule for myself not to eat past 7pm....since then no more problems....

It initially started off as reflux so I made sure not to eat 3 hours prior to bed, cut out a lot if foods that are known to cause reflux. But it persisted, if anything got worse. To the point I was bringing up a mouth full of stomach Fluid in my sleep and chocking. Such a scary experience. I even propped myself up on numerous pillows so I wasn't lying flag to help prevent the regurgitation in my sleep.

I have had that problem, too. It turned into a slip. Best wishes, sound like you may have had the problem taken care of.

Sounds like the symptoms of someone too tight. I suspect the defill was the right thing to do.

Are you eating enough food? Are you eating dense Proteins? I find if I have a day where I eat too much soft food or skip Snacks that I am really hungry later in the day.

tegz, I understand how you are feeling. Now you had some Fluid taken out because it was just too much. You may have been eating small meals and not hungry but you were hurting yourself and your band.

So now your adjusting again and part of the fatigue could be that your body is just acclimating to the changes. Bump up your solid Protein dense foods. If your feeling hungry after a work out, or whenever it's OK to eat something. Make it a good choice. That is the biggest part of the battle here. It's not that we eat, eating is normal and healthy it's what we choose to eat.

If you can find foods that are high in Protein and quality that are low in calories, carbs and sugar then you have made a good choice. Monitor your intake for a while and see what it is your eating what are your calories in vs calories out?

Have several small meals more often throughout the day till you find what works for you. If all else fails in a couple of weeks when your all healed up go back to your Dr. and ask him for .1 or .2 cc's to be put back in. Sometimes that is all the difference we need.

Best of luck to you!!

Thanks everyone, sounds like I need to up my Protein intake. In all honesty, I have never been a meat eater and find it difficult to get enough protein at the best of times.

Maybe that will help give me the energy I'm lacking to get myself back off to the gym.

I've noticed that I've had the same thing... Waking up choking on liquid or acid. I stopped eating anything more than 3 hrs before I planned to go to bed. Lately it's been just liquid. I stopped drinking anything at least 30 min before bed and that has seemed to help. I should also note that I've had a cold with alot of sinus drainage and I think that the drainage was filling my pouch in my sleep and forcing the Fluid up.

Hi Luka, I have had .5 ml taken out and all bad symptoms such as reflux and night chocking have stopped. It's lovely to actually get a good nights sleep and not worrying about how many times you will be up in the middle of the night.

Wow! Been there and feel your pain! I went through that in the beginning of January. Was horrible! My doctor came in on a Saturday to take some out. I felt instant relief but then started feeling more and more hungry. I went today to get back some restriction. My doctor has taken out 3 cc so today he put in 2 cc. I am hoping and praying that this works. I really need a boost...lost 45 pounds but want to lose more...especially before the summer. Good luck!!!

Ive been getting night coughs for only a week now since my last fill bringing me to 7.9cc's in my 10cc band.

Ive slept in a recliner for the past 2 days and its taken that nasty nasty cough away.

Tonight I will also try not to eat 3hrs before bedtime to see if that works.

Ive got 2 neighbors w/the sleeve who complain about the exact same thing who also sleep in recliners.

Sleeves are non-adjustable, which makes me glad I chose lap band now.

I'm super restricted right now BC of aunt flow and never ending weather systems with fluctuating barometric pressure. I go Wednesday for my followup with my surgeon. I'm debating about a small unfill. I will see what he recommends during my appt. Thanks.

I felt your pain. I had 6 cc in my 10 cc band and began vomiting terrible, and had only lost 30 lbs. I continued to vomit all the way down to 0 cc of Fluid in my band. Alas, the band had to be removed. It's a struggle for us, but we can do it one way or another!

This is exactly where I am! I went in for an adjustment about 2 weeks ago. I try not to eat after 5:00 pm because I don't want to wake up choking. I probably need to go back to get a little removed but I am nervous about that - the last time I had some Fluid removed I gained weight. I just want to be able to eat small portions without lunch being my last meal of the day. This is so frustrating!

How much of a fill did you get?