Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking water after operation

Hi I was recently sleeved on Wednesday and was just discharged on Sat. No complications (Thank God!) but doctor wanted me to stay in hospital to rest and recover as my mum had her hands full with my niece. Also as well, I developed a fever and hence was not discharged on Friday.

Could I check with you whether on top of the liquids we have to consume, do we had to consume Water in-between the beverages? My NUT told me to get 1.5litres of liquid in but I have forgotten to ask her if it is 1.5litres + 1.5litres of water.

I was asking as water tasted metallic and I only used it to drink the stomach-protecting medicine. I actually thought that the hospital did the clean the cup too properly and that is why the water tasted metallic but to my horror, it tasted like that as well at home? Anyone has any suggestions how to get rid of the metallic taste?

Your help is much appreciated and thanks in advance :)

If the other beverages are things like Gatorade, diluted juice, Crystal Light, and other Clear Liquids, then yes, they count as Water. You do not need to drink those and the Water. Good luck!

I understand it to be the way magtart does. But I did push as much Water as I could tolerate.

Good luck! Glad everything is going well so far!

"Water" to my surgeon means all liquids. Protein shakes, Water, milk, you name it - even Jello counts as a liquid. Since my surgery I really dislike the taste of Water so I always add some flavor drops. Also I like diet cranberry cocktail (5 cal per glass). I aim for about 2 liters a day of liquid.

Thank you for the replies, I feel more at ease now:)

After the op your taste buds change I am one of the people who went sensitive to salt to everything is super sweet!
Something they don’t tell you about but my doc giggled at when asking me if it happened yet.
Your mouth feels like crap everything taste like crap it’s a combination of the op meds and the ketoses thing going on.
No amount of brushing my teeth and mouth wash felt like it made a difference so after 2 weeks of mouth crap I couldn’t take it any more and took a mouthful of cold coke swilled it around and spat it out.
The bubbles just felt like they were waking up my mouth like a shock of oh hello this is not same old same old crap hello mouth!!
It goes away but it is ugh at the time.

Hi #sassypants,

once of the biggest things i could have from this surgery was to remove my sweet tooth so you are lucky! I was craving all the time for chocolate malt drink or soy milk because they satisfy my sweet tooth.

Now I got to think of how to curb it :)

it might curb it all on its own as when i say sweet i mean SUPER sweet!

i have to watch when i am cooking because i was going heavy with the salt and herbs to curb it to my taste buds my family were like its nice but very salty!

i was a complete cherry coke junkie before had well coke over all i didn;t want to get diabetes so i mainly drank zero normal coke they only started doing zero cherry here recently.

i would drink a 2lt bottle of coke a day sometimes more like in summer after the op disgusting to me i have had the old coke here and there but its painful and sickly after a while so has really smashed that habit to bits!
Last time I had a coke was the 2nd at the family event in a pub so watered down crappy kind and I didn’t drink all of it my sister drank half and I still had some left after 5 hours lol
Once you come out of the retraining and recovery stage you will find your taste for things changes.
If not you can satisfy that urge with smarter choices.
Sweeten things with honey make your own stuff etc
Me I am a carboholic bread potatoes rice and chips bread and chips being up there in my drool state lol
I don’t eat rice Pasta or potatoes at all every day not even weekly its not in my diet at all I had a cube of roast potato on christmas day lol
Can’t do bread much 1-2 bites feels like someone threw a seed in my belly added Water and it puffed up to max so I only ever do bread when we go food shopping and get a French stick I will pull the end off and snack on it in the car on the way home.
As for chips I have them Pringles mainly and will have like 3 or 4 when the urge takes me a tube can last 3-4 weeks.
Let me tell you time of the month when I just want to eat chip sandwiches is tough lol
I personally don’t think never touching A B or C again is good for you so if I fancy something I have a little of it not every day maybe not even once in a week but I will have it if I want it.

Just be aware sugar free stuff for diabetics might not be the right choice in sweet I have a friend who is and that stuff is like a laxative lol

#sassypants,

Thanks for the much needed information. Definitely, I will try to curb my craves with healthier choices. Thanks for the timely reminder. You are such an inspiration, having the determination to lose 203 lbs. I hope I will equally be as successful as you.

:):)

Why thank you!
I don’t calorie count at all I just keep it smart healthy and small in portion size.
After reading what I would call a months worth of info if its added up hourly on everything I didn’t feel the need to do that.
Like I said if I feel like something I have it in a small amount and if I can a smart choice.
I love to cook and bake I am a frigging great baker hasn’t stopped me I still do it just not as often and I know whats in everything I bake so smart choice.
You know like quality street? Not sure you have them in the us lol but its like a tin of single mixed chocolates.
I took about 2 handfuls of them christmas 2012 popped them in a bag and kept them in the fridge in my room (yes I have one in my bedroom that I keep my drinks and stuff in lol)
Christmas 2013 I threw out what was left which was about a handful or so and that’s 1 year later.
I figure the more we say no, nope, don’t, can’t the more we want it then maybe it ends up being way more than we would have had if we just had that little bit in the first place.

Anyway completely changed what the thread was about sorry! lol