Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help! Can't stop eating junk!

Hi, I was banded September 2013. And I have lost about 19ILb, I feel restriction with my band, but can't stop eating In between meals and sweet foods! I haven't gained anything, but it's getting me down as I haven't lost any weight since christmas. How can I stop this cycle! I am so disappointed with myself. I know I never had an operation on my brain, but I was doing so well! Please help me get back on track. It doesn't help that my husband won't stop bringing chocolate home and I have no willpower.

Hi Sherry,

If your husband is not going to support your journey you are going to have to make a difficult choice here!

That is to eat the chocolate and sweets or not!

We can't control other people, the only thing we can control is our reactions to circumstances. If you find yourself in the situation where your husband brings home sweets try to limit your exposure to them. Hide them away, or bury them in the yard. Flush them down the toilet or give them to some kids on your block. Start having parties where the kids come over and eat all the sweets, and then when your husband says "hey I'm not trying to feed the neighborhood" you can tell him to stop bringing home the sweets and you'll stop feeding it to the neighborhood. :)

Sometimes we have to be strong for ourselves, and make a those difficult choices. Maybe next time choose to have a chocolate Protein shake or maybe a Protein Bar or something equally as yummy that will keep you on track.

If your hungry between meals you may need a fill to help you feel NOT hungry between meals. Give your doc and your nutritionist a call and see if they can help you get things working in your favor again.

Edited by lisacaron

What do you mean when you say you "Feel Restriction"?

Thanks Lisa, good advise.

I'm mean my band is working, I eat small portions and can go 3-4 hours without feeling hungry, it's just breaking the cycle of needing to eat rather than being hungry?

Oh.....if the band could only fix our heads! It's so fricken difficult sometimes, but the only person who can stop the old eating behaviors, is you. I wish there was a magic answer, but the ball is always in our own hands.

I agree with Lisa above.....try eating a really good Protein bar when your husband breaks out the chocolate. I absolutely love the Quest bars, and would honestly eat one of those over any other candy. Ask your husband to keep his stash hidden away somewhere, so you don't have easy access. We just had a Superbowl party at our house, and (among other things) bought the big jug of mixed nuts from costco. Well, that's like crack cocaine for me!! I sat down one evening, jug in my lap, and did some damage. Yes, smaller damage than pre-band, but damage none the less. I told my husband to take those nuts and HIDE them. Sometimes (many times), it's not even a matter of being hungry. It's just the urge to eat! If we didn't have this issue, we would not be talking here on BP :rolleyes: Anyway.....I think you already know, but you are going to need to fight really hard. If your husband doesn't want to give up his brand of Snacks, ask him to at least put them somewhere so you can't easily grab them. Then.....the rest is up to you. You took a huge step by having WLS, so now you need to pull in the reins and find that strength you felt in the beginning.

Good luck!

Edited by mrsto

Just wish tit were taht easy!!

Oh.....if the band could only fix our heads! It's so fricken difficult sometimes, but the only person who can stop the old eating behaviors, is you. I wish there was a magic answer, but the ball is always in our own hands.

I agree with Lisa above.....try eating a really good Protein bar when your husband breaks out the chocolate. I absolutely love the Quest bars, and would honestly eat one of those over any other candy. Ask your husband to keep his stash hidden away somewhere, so you don't have easy access. We just had a Superbowl party at our house, and (among other things) bought the big jug of mixed nuts from costco. Well, that's like crack cocaine for me!! I sat down one evening, jug in my lap, and did some damage. Yes, smaller damage than pre-band, but damage none the less. I told my husband to take those nuts and HIDE them. Sometimes (many times), it's not even a matter of being hungry. It's just the urge to eat! If we didn't have this issue, we would not be talking here on BP :rolleyes: Anyway.....I think you already know, but you are going to need to fight really hard. If your husband doesn't want to give up his brand of Snacks, ask him to at least put them somewhere so you can't easily grab them. Then.....the rest is up to you. You took a huge step by having WLS, so now you need to pull in the reins and find that strength you felt in the beginning.

Good luck!

Head hunger is really the worst! Those old bad habits are pretty bad too! I have to say...Super Bowl I was a good gal! I didn't eat badly had a few bites of pigs in the blanket and I was all set.

There was no need for picking on junk I was so good...then it snowed me in yesterday. No work, in PJ's all day...feeling depressed about a whole bunch of stuff that's been going on in my life and had nothing to do but sit and think about it all.

I got myself so miserable I found the Cheetos in the closet and started munching! I was disappointed in myself for giving into a moment of weakness. I could have had a healthy snack, but I didn't want to get up and make anything I just wanted to wallow! So I did. I didn't feel better, and as I really got into the bag...I felt sick. I didn't let that stop me though I ate till I got so sick of them that if I see another Cheeto I might have to yak. Just thinking about it now makes me sick!

Serves me right! I am not beating myself up about it, I did it and paid for it, and I'm moving on from it. Since being banded I have not fallen back to that extent before, and this served to prove to me that my life has changed and what once worked for me no longer does no matter how "comfortable" I thought it might be, it wasn't at all!!

I felt better after I walked for 30 minutes then I did eating the junk, and that proved to me that my old habits are better left in the past, they were not healthy for me and though I might feel down, no amount of food will make that better. A few endorphins from exercise though helped a whole hell of a lot, so I think that's where I am going to put my focus from now on.

I invited my son's friends over yesterday in the snow after they were out shoveling and gave them all the rest of the Superbowl junk and called it a day!

Clean out your pantry and do not buy junk. Commit to eating clean for five days -- you won't believe how great you'll feel when you're chemical-free and sugar-free. Watch out for artificial sweeteners. Check ingredients in everything. Know you are worthy of real health and you're on your way. Choose yourself first!

I don't know you or anything about your marriage so I'm not saying this is your situation but I just wanted to point out that sometimes a spouse or partner can subconsciously sabotage the other's success because they're afraid of changes in the relationship. Wether it be the relationship between the two or the food relationship they have together. I would sit down and have a serious conversation about your need for support from him. But ultimately, this is your journey and you have to find the power within. To quote some people on this forum, "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels." YOU CAN SUCCEED and you are worth it.

and then when your husband says "hey I'm not trying to feed the neighborhood" you can tell him to stop bringing home the sweets and you'll stop feeding it to the neighborhood. :)

ROFLMBO...This cracked me up! Love it!

I agree with the others who mentioned using Protein Bars instead. I love the Quest bars. They have several great flavors but my favorites are chocolate brownie, chocolate Peanut Butter, and peanut butter pie. The chocolate brownie tastes very much like a brownie if you microwave it for about 10 seconds.

I agree with the others who mentioned using Protein bars instead. I love the Quest bars. They have several great flavors but my favorites are chocolate brownie, chocolate Peanut Butter, and Peanut Butter pie. The chocolate brownie tastes very much like a brownie if you microwave it for about 10 seconds.

I love the chocolate chip cookie dough, vanilla almond crunch and the double brownie (something like that). They're the chocolate ones with chunks of chocolate. Yummy!!

Hi, I was banded September 2013. And I have lost about 19ILb, I feel restriction with my band, but can't stop eating In between meals and sweet foods! I haven't gained anything, but it's getting me down as I haven't lost any weight since christmas. How can I stop this cycle! I am so disappointed with myself. I know I never had an operation on my brain, but I was doing so well! Please help me get back on track. It doesn't help that my husband won't stop bringing chocolate home and I have no willpower.

you dont need will power

you need (want power)

want to lose weight bad enough to do whatever you have to and make it happen.

great job on losing 19 pounds..YOU did that.....

....you CAN stop the cycle by stop eating crap foods...

yes you can....just because you can or its there does not give you the authorization to go all hog out and party......so what if hub or elvis brings home chocolate.. a little dab will do you..(i eat it every day via a Protein shake and Protein Bar, see me loves that stuff too)

but if you find you cant control (and you can if you wanted)

merely watch your calorie intake.....cals in vs your cals out........ 3500 calories is a pound and if you eat more calories than you burn off, you will gain or not lose..

so get off the pity party and and get your ass back to doing what you need to do and did to lose 19 pounds..

eat great foods (eat some chocolate if you want) and GF, make yourself well.......i know YOU can

Edited by ☠carolinagirl☠