Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost one year out, struggling

Hey guys,

My one year anniversary will be 02/20/2014! I still remember the frustration I felt this time last year. I would give anything just to have the surgery over with and be on my way to a new life.

I do not regret my decision to have the band. To date I have lost about 85 pounds and miraculously maintaining which never would have happened pre-surgery.

In September this last year, I lost a very close relative unexpectedly and it has taken a toll on my entire family. My weight loss progress stalled. Try as I might to maintain the habits I had developed during my post-op life, it has been extremely difficult since the loss to keep EVERYTHING happening at the same time. I will be great on the gym one week and not so great on dieting or vice versa. And GOOD LUCK if you want me to take my meds on top of that! The holiday season was a complete struggle too, for my first holiday season post op.

Now don't misunderstand me, I am not blaming anyone or anything but myself and my struggle to cope with everything going on in my life, but recently I have had some concerning developments...

Ever since the surgery I have been especially tight in the mornings. Throughout the day I can eat larger portions regardless of the fills I have gotten. Certain fills I struggle with some foods more than others like chicken and bread.< /p>

Recently it seemed that I could eat just about anything I wanted to without problem and seemed like I was hungrier between meals than normal.

This week it seems I am unable to eat a lot much like I am not supposed to be able to with a Lap Band, but I also am experiencing what I would consider random intolerances of certain foods that leads to PB'ing. When I do PB I have amild discomfort in my stomache much like a stomache ache and a headache (this is happening today). I have ruled out having a band slippage because it seems I would be in a much more severe amount of pain, but I am nervous. Does anyone have any ideas?

I am scheduled to see my surgeon in the next month or two. I dread going to see him this time and admitting I haven't been as successful at having good habits.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your relative, and that you're having a difficult time. I completely understand.

My first suggestion is to get in to see your doctor sooner than a month or two. It's critically important that you rule out any band complications. Call and let them know what's going on, and I'm sure they'll squeeze you in ASAP.

Regarding the struggling.....I feel for you. Surgery or not, food is the place we go when s-hit happens, which it does at different times in life. It sounds like you're maintaining your loss to date? I'm close to a year out, and as much as the "new normal" is a part of me, in times of stress, I eat when I'm not hungry, and eat way past the signal. It's such a sickness.....eating when I'm already feeling sick inside. But it happens. I understand how hard it is to get your butt to the gym when feeling this way. And I'm sure letting food take over doesn't help the situation. Just try as hard as you can, to at least get out and walk 20 minutes every day. I don't know where you live, so maybe you're in one of the snow blown states. If not, a good brisk walk will help your head, and your metabolism. Once you see your doctor, and know that everything is okay with your band, try and dig in your heels & start back with the basics. As painfully hard as it is, I'm sure you will feel so much better getting this part of your life back in control.

As far as eating.... I'm to the point where sometimes I can eat more than others. I'm like..."where's my band"?? Then others, I'll be done after about 4 bites. But I know logically (unless there are complications), that the band is always there, but our bodies go through changes. Just as many feel very tight in the morning, because of swelling in their bodies. Time of the month? Too much salt? I don't know why the drastic changes, but I do experience differences as well. It's easy when the signal is loud and clear. The other times, I really have to fight the fight, and force myself to get out of the house when I feeling like plopping down on the couch with a bag of whatever. In the beginning it was so easy. It was new and exciting....lots to look forward to. As the months and years pass by, we're just doing regular life, and faced with emotional and all other triggers to eat. But Realitybytes......all is not lost. Through it all, you have managed to maintain an 85 pound loss, which is great! Please see your doctor ASAP, and work on small steps to keep with your program. There are times when we need to simply coast, until we're ready to giddy up again. It's called...life.

I agree that you need to get in to see your doctor. I know exactly how you are feeling right now. My surgery was a year ago too and I feel like I am eating a little more. I have been at the same weight for about 4 months and getting frustrated. The office did a barium swallow and my pouch is very slightly dilated. They didn't take out any Fluid, but put me on 2 shakes a day and then one meal to try and get it to shrink down a little without taking out Fluid. I am trying so hard to stick to the shakes and get back on track. Maybe your issue is as simple as mine. Just stay positive and get into the doctor. We didn't go through all of this just to throw in the towel a year later. Good luck!!

Wow! I really needed to "hear" what MSRTO just said. I am almost 3 years out. I lost 65 lbs, which was my initial goal (tho once I got there I had wanted to lose 10more). I was so addicted to feeling tight, I got too tight and had awful reflux at night. I had an upper gi test with the borium swallow which showed I was too tight and the bottom of my esophagus had expanded some. We took a few cc out of the band, did liquids and soft foods for 10 days and then slowly refilled. Right as all this started, my Dad was diagnosed with Leukemia. Between the stress of that, the 600 mile round trip drive to see/tend him that I made weekly, sometimes more, I gained 15 lbs last year. I've never really been able to achieve that perfect spot with my band since it was too tight. I haven't had a fill since May. But every time I think about getting 1 I have one of those tight feeling days and think I am okay.

I am glad to hear MSRTO say you have days that you aren't as tight, I sometimes worry that might mean something bad with my band.

I think I just allowed the stress to get to me and now I am struggling with sugar addiction and self doubt. I also think that I got in the habit of eating foods that go down too easy and snacking, so the band doesn't even have a chance to do what it is supposed to. I gotta get my head back in the game!!!

Edited by misslex

I have been at my Sweet Spot for a solid 2 years now....NO Hunger, NO Cravings, Consistent Portion sizes, unable to overeat (no matter how hard I may try).....last fill was over 2-1/2 years ago.....

I say that because...I am very consistent with my band day in and day out......and can detect any slight changes...I know what I can and cannot do, or I should say what the band will let me do, or not...

I can go along day by day as happy as can be...then realize I am eating larger portions than usual....and not only that, but things that are usually difficult are suddenly easier...

My Theory is Pouch dilation....which is natural because it is still stomach muscles, designed to expand and contract....

So, when I do notice this, I will go all liquids, including Soups, for 2-3 days, giving the band a chance to rest, and the stomach/pouch size a chance to return it's shape......after which I find everything is back in tip-top shape...(some cal this the 5 day pouch test...why I'll never know)....This is the only maintenance I do after finishing this journey....

I told my Dr. I do this about every 5-7 weeks, and he said it was good practice...he would take Fluid out of people's bands, accomplishing the same thing, because he is under the assumption they will not stop solid foods on their own...

Everything you said is very similar to my experience....I have not eaten solid foods for Breakfast since being banded....and things do get easier as the day goes along....(Pouch stretches, relaxes then tightens back up overnight, without food for 12 hours)

But like I said, I can tell when things begin to differ from the normal routine....

I have also found that stress, emotions, whether I'm at a party, vacation, etc do not change my band...I may change, but my band does not....

Edited by B-52