Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am now in my 7th month. I have lost 120 pounds. I love it! However I have not lost a single pound or oz. in a month. I actually have gained a pound. I know my exercising has sucked due to bluntly my laziness. I mean yes, the holidays and this extreme cold keeps me away from the gym but lets face it I could still exercise at home.

I was also told by the physicians assistant that in another few months I probably won't lose anymore. I was shocked and pissed. First of all, I had this done and need to lose a total of 250 pounds to get to "normal weight for my height" so to be told I probably won't make it makes me angry. They never said that was possible. I am determined to prove her wrong.

I am trying to think of the good things. Like the going down 3 sizes, loss of a total of 35 inches in Dec. Need to measure for this month still.Not needing a seat belt extender, doing more with my daughter, being able to run, wearing "average sized" jewlery and just yesterday I was able to cross my legs for the first time in 20 years. I did it without thinking sat there for about 3 minutes before it hit me : You're legs are crossed and you're comfortable and they aren't slidding down!!!! I even had my kid take a pic.

Even with all of that I am getting frustrated at the numbers. I know they say not to pay attention to it but REALLY?!!! How are you to do that when that was the purpose of the surgery.

I don't know what can help me get out of this funk.

Hang in there, your doing great!

I understand your frustration totally. You have lost a amazing amount of weight and congrats !!! Please stick to you plan, we all have stalls. The key to success of this surgery is based on YOU, your diet and your exercise. All must work in conjunction. You body is adjusting and now you need to step things up a bit. What worked for me is changing up my exercise and increasing my hear rate and duration of my work outs.

It is disappointing that inappropriate comments from healthcare professionals are more common than they should be.

Although weight loss is typically more rapid during the first year following surgery, doctors often tell their patients that they can lose as much weight as they want to. The laws of science and the universe are absolute and cannot be denied. As long as you are maintaining a calorie deficit, burning more calories than you are consuming, you will lose weight. Sometimes you'll lose more quickly, other times more slowly and sometimes not at all for a period of time. But sooner or later, you will lose weight. And you will continue to lose weight as long as you maintain a calorie deficit.

I've been maintaining a food log for well over two years and find it an indispensable tool. Not only for weight loss but, when the time comes, for maintenance as well. It's quick, easy and doesn't cost a thing. More importantly, at the end of every day when you make that last entry and you've met your goal for that day, Celebrate your success! Every day!

Your frustration is certainly understandable - but it's also counter productive. Consider staying away from the scales for at least a week and two or three would be even better. Instead of worrying about that number, focus that energy on staying positive, staying patient, following the protocol as closely to the letter as you possibly can and maintaining a food log. Trust the process and allow your body to find its own way in its own time. Do those things and the weight will take care of itself. There is no limit to what you can accomplish.

You may also want to give some thought to starting a moderate exercise program. You don't need a cape and the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Exercise does not have to be synonymous with working your body to exhaustion. My exercise of choice is and has always been just plain ol' walking. You can literally do it anywhere - treadmill, neighborhood, malls, parks or even just walking across your living room. Walking is walking. Start with fifteen minutes a day three or four times a week. Gradually increase your walks as you feel comfortable doing so. Commit to it for ninety days and you may discover that it's really quite addicting!

You're doing great! And you're gonna love the new you!!

Edited by DLCoggin

I'm not in anyway defending or excusing what she said to you. However my program suggests that specifically gastric bypass patients can expect to lose 50% of their excess weight. We see so often people exceeding that but that is how they educate us. She may be speaking along those lines and already considers you a success because you have lost about 50% of your excess weight. They told me after that point the rest is really up to me. I most definitely think the way she said it was unprofessional, who is she to say you won't lose anymore weight? What she said may not be what she meant (and I hope not, or she should rethink another career). Keep your head held high because we know you can and will do it :) goodluck

Also I have an addiction to the scale partially because I'm more of a numbers freak than a weight loss fanatic... I had my fiancé put my scale in the trunk of his car and he only let's me weigh on Fridays now. Lol silly but it works for me. For instance I know that typically at night I can be up to three pounds heavier every day due to Water and food that hasn't been digested. I also know that in the morning that 3 lbs will be gone as it is every day. But I STILL obsessed over it. I would weigh twice a day, that's outrageous and I have a much better piece of mind not obsessively weighing and I don't get discouraged because very rarely if I weigh once a week am I disappointed with the results.

Edited by KristinaRnY

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I was doing really great at exercising and things just got hectic and am having a difficult time getting back at it. Like today for instance. My husband drives over the road and is only home about 4 days a month. My daughter gets sick and my mother in law that lives with me gets sick. So I can't go to the Y cuz I need to take care of them. I know I should do something here but by the time I get them settled and my kid is asleep I am ready for bed. But I decided no more excuses. Tomorrow if I have to get up before everyone else I will get back to the exercising. Also I think the food journal and locking the scale away is a great idea. Also, I am going to try to go to the support group in my area on Monday. Thanks everyone.