Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marijuana

I am sorry if anyone was offended!! I'm the farthest thing from a racist and didn't mean it that way. If I was a racist I'd be pro stop and frisk.

Let's get back to the original question. Some more ideas for healthy munchy food:

Hummus and pita chips

Vege chips (raw is best)

Vegetable slices with PB2

Frozen grapes

salad

Chickpeas

Lean meat

Make sure you prepare your food before you smoke up! Use baggies for Portion Control and don't eat out of any bags or boxes. I also heard brushing your teeth as soon as you get munchies can be a very effective way of combating them. Hope this helps.

So when I read through the original message, I honestly didn't take offense because I understood exactly what she was saying. While African American is the politically correct term to use for those of us considered "black" even though I'm brown and multiracial, I personally don't like to be called African anything. I was born and raised right here in the USA. I don't know anything about being African as that is a whole other continent with different cultures of people. To the original poster, sorry that your choice of words are being challenged but the more politically correct term we now use to refer to individuals who are not white/Caucasian is people of color. I'm an educator and that is what we teach our students to say. Hope this sheds a little light to some of you.

Edited by Lady VS

I know that no one here meant any harm in what they said so hopefully this will help each of us to better understand.

Here is a good and helpful rule for thumb for how to refer to folks. It may seem to be overly PC, but words are very powerful in influencing perceptions.

Use "people first" language. A person is not defined by a color, illness, disability, etcetera.. They are a person first, and other identifiers second.

Not blacks or colored..........People of color

Not the mentally ill...............People with a mental illness

Not disabled people.............People with a disability

Not homosexuals.................People who are Gay

Not the handicap.................People with a handicap

Not the obese......................People with obesity

Also, don't use the word "the" when refering to people. The word "the" suggests that those we are referring to are other than us. It creates a sense of otherness. It places those people into an often stigmatized category.

For example:

Equal rights for the gays.

Equal pay for the women.

Equal opportunities for the blacks.

More understanding of the mentally ill.

See what I mean? Words are very powerful. Without intending to we can easily keep feeding the division between us and them.

It was very clear from my post what my intentions were. My point was that the NYPD racially profiles individuals. You ask what does racial profiling mean ? I walk up and down a train platform with an OZ of pot in my Louis Vuitton bag, strutting my Manolo Blahniks, reeking of pot and nobody will even look at me twice. If a black kid with his pants riding low and headphones over his ears does something like sneeze, he's up against the wall being frisked. They find just the tip of a joint in his pocket, off to jail he goes.

Back to my usage of the term colored. It might not have been politically correct but there was no need for the fake outcry from members who were supposedly offended. Their only goal is to endlessly argue semantics. Maybe I should have phrased it as people of color instead of colored people but I really don't feel bad. I asked black colleagues of mine to read what I wrote and NONE of them were offended in any way. I looked at posts many of these members have left and there's a clear pattern. It seems that there are many on here that are bored and love hijacking other peoples threads. Back to using the term colored:

• In 2008 Carla Sims, communications director for the NAACP (America's foremost civil rights group for those of you who aren't familiar) in Washington, D.C., said "the term 'colored' is not derogatory, [the NAACP] chose the word 'colored' because it was the most positive description commonly used. To date, there has not been a movement to change the name of the organization to a more politically correct term such as the "National Association for the Advancement of African-Americans."

(It's National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, not National Association for the Advancement of BLACK People or National Association for the Advancement of African Americans.)
  • Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. used the phrase “citizens of color” in his 1963 “I Have a Dream” speech.
  • Carla Sims, communications director for the NAACP in Washington, D.C., came to Lindsay Lohan’s defense today following Lohan’s on-camera interview with “Access Hollywood” in which Lohan called president-elect Barack Obama “colored.” Sims believes that the media’s lambasting of the starlet is only to create controversy. “Sometimes you have to look at the intent…but the word ‘colored’ isn’t derogatory,” Sims told me in a phone interview. “Clearly she’s [Lohan] an Obama supporter.”

There’s really no problem with what she said,” Sims said. “In her excitement, she was acknowledging that color was not a barrier in the populace choosing Obama.” “The term ‘colored’ is not derogatory,” Sims continued. “They chose the word ‘colored’ because it was the most positive description commonly used at that time. It’s outdated and antiquated but not offensive.” Sims is referring to the founders of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People that created the organization nearly 100 years ago in support of social justice for African Americans.

So my choice of words was at most outdated and antiquated, definitely not offensive as many have attempted to portray.

post-202659-0-26470100-1390930469_thumb.png

As far as what I've read it isn't derogatory either. Every decade there seems to be a new "politically correct" word to call people of color and at this point it is merely just preference but colored is most definitely not impolite, outdated but not impolite. So for those of you who feel you have something to prove.... Seriously go bitch and moan somewhere else.

It is extremely frustrating that nearly 80% of you are just here to chime in on the colored wagon and don't have anything to add to the topic of this post, go create a forum called, "is colored politically correct?" And go rage on each other there. I mean do you realize how ridiculous this seems... Arguing over people of color and colored people... Which essentially mean the same fricken thing in a different order. It's just an excuse for people to get offended and cry wolf. No one got on here and threw the N word around. So if you don't have anything positive to contribute then go to bed....

Edited by KristinaRnY

I'm pretty sure after I said we should all move on, it was done. Until you ladies sparked it up again.

Let's all drop it!

I agree. The original message was about mj was it not????? My point in posting was to side with not against the original poster to let her know that I was not offended by what she said.

Edited by Lady VS

Ok ladies ..gonna pull some moderating here..please remain on topic. Don't wanna see this thread get outta hand and in some way locked.

I was curious of the responses as I get bad munchies with the tom. I never expected the side discussion. All the suggested Snacks look like good options.

When I do I have 1 thing afterward... A single 3oz. cup of sugar free fat free pudding made with skim milk. If I want something after that my hubby can only give me tea or water.. That way I stay in control I my calories and good intake!!! I do not use mj recreationally it is medicinal. What I have found out is it is much easier than I expected to curb the cravings post RNY

My new home state has made it legal. (Co) Guess if I ever find out I will come and share. Very interesting topic!

My new home state has made it legal. (Co) Guess if I ever find out I will come and share. Very interesting topic!

I live in Texas and mj is still ilegal here, I am against using it

recreational but for using medically if needed.

I live in Texas and mj is still ilegal here, I am against using it

recreational but for using medically if needed.

I respect that, I actually do like to hear others point of views as long as they aren't attacking someone else's way of life. Like my personal opinion is I'm against the consumption of alcohol period. Even though it is legal I'm against it. Marijuana is legal here for medicinal purposes (soon to be recreational) and it has improved my quality of life drastically.

For those of you who use marijuana for medicinal or recreational purposes... How have the 'munchies' affected you post op? -for those of you who are anti-marijuana, your negativity on the topic is unwelcome.

Regarding the topic that this thread was for before all the other nonsense lol I have been smoking for years and marijuana actually helps me a lot after surgery for nausea and very surprisingly I do not get the munchies at all! I was scared it would give me the munchies and I would pig out but that hasn't been the case at all. I definitely consider myself lucky it doesn't!