Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marijuana

Are you familiar with the ACLU ? Educate yourself a little and have a read. I'll quote the article:

The NYPD’s stop-and-frisk practices raise serious concerns over racial profiling, illegal stops and privacy rights. The Department’s own reports on its stop-and-frisk activity confirm what many people in communities of color across the city have long known: The police are stopping hundreds of thousands of law abiding New Yorkers every year, and the vast majority are black and Latino.

An analysis by the NYCLU revealed that innocent New Yorkers have been subjected to police stops and street interrogations more than 4 million times since 2002, and that black and Latino communities continue to be the overwhelming target of these tactics. Nearly nine out of 10 stopped-and-frisked New Yorkers have been completely innocent, according to the NYPD’s own reports.

Oh my! Did the ACLU just use the word COLOR ? Are you going to call them politically incorrect next ?

It is generally acceptable to say person of color or persons/people of color when referring to brown or tan people of different races at the same time. Your original post sounds like your heart is probably in the right place it was just a strange choice of words.

"Communities of color" isn't the same as saying what you said. And yes, calling someone a "colored" person is offensive to lots of people. You even had an African American state to please not use the N word or the term "colored".

And yes, stop-and-frisk is an extreme form of racism. Not the most extreme, but blatant.

As for, did she attack anyone, telling someone she needs to "take a puff" was an attack of sorts. It was very rude and may be against that person's views toward smoking pot.

I think you were trying to racially profile yourself. Can we all agree that there was no intent and stop buying into main stream political correctness that really isn't meant to do anything but divide?

What was even more insulting than the term colored was the dismissive way you justified being able to use mj since you're among the privileged (non-colored) and don't have to worry about the police-the whole stop and frisk comment just sounds like a cover and OP stop trying to justify just makes you look bad too.

Edited by Cherryhair

Yeah this thread apparently will not provide the information or personal experiences I was looking for, thanks anyway.

I think you were trying to racially profile yourself. Can we all agree that there was no intent and stop buying into main stream political correctness that really isn't meant to do anything but divide?

Or Educate-can't assume you know what's offensive to a group of people with different experiences

You should really let it go... It's already been blown way out of proportion. Quit stirring the pot.

Well, this cracker right here thinks everyone needs to simmer down!

Edited by sleevethefatbehind

I'm sorry KristinaRnY that your post has been hijacked. I was actually looking forward to some helpful ideas and advise as well.

And while we're off topic...one of the things that has stuck with me from a recent talk with Dr. Mia Angelou that I was privileged to be a part of was :

"Don't ask yourself IF you are racist, ask yourself HOW are you racist."

It is easy to label someone as being racist when they poorly choose their words as in the case of the above poster. However, when you get all sanctimonious about it you are showing a lack of insight into the fact that you also have racist tendencies. We all do. It is impossible to be raised in the United States as a white person and not have bias and prejudice deeply imbedded in your psychology. To deny that is to think yourself untouched by what society is seeped in and it is that self-righteous denial which protects those deep deep seeds of racism and prevents eradicated them from your spirit.

So go ahead and throw stones. But don't kid yourself by thinking that because you know better than to use the word "colored" and will aggressively correct someone else's ignorance that you are somehow above all of that.

Educate instead of Humiliate. Persuade instead of Persecute. Converse instead of Chastise. If you want to help the situation ask yourself how YOU are a racist.

Just to clarify. I never intended to start sh!t, and I never called her racist. Just said what/how she worded her sentence SOUNDED racist. I think we can all move on here...

By "you" I just meant anyone who get's to hollering and finger-pointing. My comment was not to anyone in particular.

Honestly...I didn't even pay attention to who was saying what. Diversity is one of my academic interests and I can't really help myself from chiming in when I see the topic come up. :)

Peace & Love to everyone!

I know you weren't singling me out. I just wanted to clarify for myself. And same here. My mom was a professor at a local university and taught diversity in the US, and did a lot of work for the NAACP, an all sorts of ethnic groups. She got some recognition from Jennifer granholm (ha!) way back when.

Edited by Sarahjane79

I had to read this, and re-read it a few times before it set in. Being a woman of "color" born in Mobile, Alabama in 1963 (that would make me 50 years old), I am floored that you, or anyone else for that matter, would even think to use the term "colored" in this day and time. Born on the cusp of the civil rights movement, with parents and grand parents who had to live in and through it, I am more than offended by this term. It especially stings because my birth certificate refers to me (and my parents) as "colored." You'd have to be either really insensitive or just really out of touch with (or ignorant to) black history as it relates to the civil rights movement, and I'm hoping its the latter. It is not my intention to offend or belittle you, just to enlighten you a bit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_Civil_Rights_Movement_(1955%E2%80%9368)

I've been consuming Marijuana since I had surgery and for quite some time before as well. I find it helps me a great deal with nausea and anxiety. I don't roll joints or use a bong since I'm scared of carcinogens and other chemicals. I have something called a (Volcano) vaporizer. It's much more healthy to consume MJ this way. I also bake with MJ but don't eat goodies often since they give me maaaaaad munchies! :D It's illegal here in NY but it might as well be legalized since the cops don't care (unless you're colored!) and you only get a ticket if caught with under an OZ. Just make sure you munch on carrot sticks and fruit instead of cake and sweets!!

anyhow,

since pot does cause some to munch

best to have a prepared plan in cabinets/on hold..

try to keep as healthy options/choices you can just in case..

and if you over do it munch wise, remember its still cals in vs cals out