Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating is Uncomfortable...Grr

I just read a post about a week ago when somebody said they hit 6 weeks and eating started to become really uncomfortable. I was doing okay and didn't know what they were really talking about. Um, I'm almost six weeks and now I'm feeling that same thing. I'm beginning to HATE eating! It's so uncomfortable. At first, I thought it was just my body responding to new introduction of more solid foods, which makes sense. But I'm noticing that even pureed stuff and soft stuff like avocado is uncomfortable going down. I'm not throwing up (haven't sense surgery) and I'm taking very small bites as well.

I'm frustrated. I can't find that other post to see what suggestions were given. Does anybody have any suggestions? Should I just give it some time and wait it out?

I'm in the same boat. I hate to eat now! Nothing sits well on my stomach.....after I eat I'm nauseous and only after a few small bites. I'm told it will get better though.

I am at one month today and have permission to eat regular food, but I just don't feel like it yet. No hurry....soft foods are ok with me. Still eating just a few small bites. Cooking is hardly worth the effort. I think I will take more time to move on the regular food.

You might just call your Nut or Doc and see what they say.

My surgeon had us progress the following way: 2 weeks liquids (including plain greek yogurt and sugar free pudding), 2 weeks puree, and 2 weeks soft food. Then back to real foods. The change between each phase had how much I could fit into my stomach go back smaller as I adjusted. (My theory was that we were retraining the stomach how to digest the more complicated items so it could only handle the smaller amounts at first. )

Other than the first few days adjustment on a new phase, when I could only fit 2 oz instead of 4, I don't recall not being able to eat, up until this week (which is a reflux issue, I hope). And when this week's issue started, I was on the phone to the surgeon and I have an upper GI scheduled. Remember that the sleeve is the only stomach you have, and you don't want to mess around.

I don't think you should be struggling to eat at all. And I think progressing back to real food is important as part of healing. You can live on Protein shakes, but not well and not healthily long term. So I'd call your NUT or your doc ASAP.

My $0.02, for what they're worth.

There is a condition where people become scared of eating solids, and stick with soft or liquid foods, you don't want to cultivate that.....

As you go to solid foods, it can become uncomfortable - and you don't want to overfill yourself with the "I think I can fit just one more bite" thing. I have heard there is an app that beeps every couple of minutes so that you slow down the frequency of your bites. Sorry but I don't remember the name of it but I've read about a number of people here who use it.

Another thing I would suggest is to take even smaller bites than you are, and chew at least 30 seconds more. Then wait a couple of minutes before the next bite. When I was 6 weeks out it took almost 10 minutes for my new stomach to tell my brain I was full - so I'd end up with a couple extra bites and then was in pain for 30 or 40 minutes, recovering from those extra bites that I didn't know I'd taken. Plus a lot of food would land in my stomach and just sit there like a rock - very uncomfortable. Eventually, my brain and stomach synched back up and the issue abated. I still have the rock issue from time to time, but it isn't nearly as painful as it was in the beginning. Anyway, just some ideas - good luck!