Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sunday Marriott, Monday Hospital Mi Doctor

Okay, I'm almost ready. Took tomorrow of so I can pack, plane leaves Sat morning since I'm going to spend an extra day in San Diego.< /p>

Anyone else going to be at the Marriot on Sunday (the 26th), and having their procedure on Monday (the 27th)? I'll be having Dr Cabrera giving me my new start, (and being assisted by the way to handsome for his own good Dr Altamirano).

I'll be down there with my mother, but it would be cool to meet up with some folks post-op for some broth sipping story telling, haha.

(I know I'll meet some folks on the van ride down from SD, as well as around the hospital, but would love to meet up with some forum dwellers).

All checked in to the Marriott. Folks were right, it's a nice hotel. So far, enough of the staff speak plenty of English, (especially desk staff), so no problemo there.

I have to be downstairs and ready to go at 0645 for my ride over to the hospital. It hasn't quite sunk in yet. Feels like a regular afternoon, eating lunch in their restaurant. Well, except for what I get to eat versus the buffet my mom gets, haha.

Pics of the hotel room and dining attached, (assuming I did it right).

post-201220-0-10711500-1390774475_thumb.jpg

post-201220-0-52379500-1390774501_thumb.jpg

post-201220-0-41799200-1390774516_thumb.jpg

post-201220-0-82151900-1390774542_thumb.jpg

post-201220-0-75654600-1390774583_thumb.jpg

please let me know how you are feeling when you get out..I am very excited for you

Yes please keep us updated. I also pray all goes well for you. Im scheduled with Cabrera in less then 4 weeks, so i will be very anxious in receiving feedback from you.

Thank you for letting us be part off your journey. I look forward to reading your updated about your surgery/hospital/hotel/experience etc. :-)

So I was lucky, and was the first surgery of Dr Cabrera's day. Got over to the hospital, and gave my ID and admission form to Tatiana, my coordinator. She took them into the office, then came back and took me to my room.

Rooms are nothing fancy, and seemed on par with older hospitals in the US. Over the course of the next hour, I changed into my gown, stockings, and scrub cap. (I purchased my own, something to try and stand out a bit. It seemed to work, as I got plenty of comments). Had my lab work, EKG, and IV put in. I then met with the anesthesiologist, followed by Dr Cabrera. Both of them were very polite and allowed me to ask any questions. They confirmed I was the first one scheduled, and would be in the OR shortly.

True to their word, a wheelchair arrived and wisked me off. It looked like they are set up with two ORs right next to each other. I hopped up on the table, while they strapped my arms in and added thing to my IV. Bam, out for the count.

Wake up time. Holy hell, it was rough. I've had back surgery before, and this was tougher. However, I didn't have my abdomen pumped full of gas for that either, lol. I know I moaned quite a bit, and plenty of folks were talking to me, but all I really remember about the recovery room is pain.

I vaguely remember being brought back to my room and hearing my mom's voice, but apparently moaned and slept for the next hour or so. Finally, I was awake.

Over the last 8 hours, I've walked a total of 5 times, ranging from one lap to five laps. 5 laps was my limit, as I got nauseous. My gas pains come in waves, but are generally minor except for a spike here or there. I'd say 50% of my overall pain is from my drain. I've never had one, and the entry point is tough for me. If I'm lucky, that will come up before I go back to the hotel. (I REALLY hope it does).

I've chips only so far, though they just brought my some liquid clonazepam as well as some goodies for my IV. That was the first thing I've drank, and it was a surreal experience. It wasn't much, but I still had to sip, then hiccuped and it hurt. :-(. So, hopefully I can get some sleep tonight, we'll see. Till next time.

Almost forgot. Pic shortly after post op back in my room.

post-201220-0-42270400-1390888239_thumb.jpg

Whelp, couldn't sleep a wink, just too uncomfortable. This morning I resumed taking my laps around the floor, and have continued that every couple of hours. Also remembering to inhale using that lung exercising thing with the balls in it. (I hate those, lol).

Had my leak test, and was told all was good. Met with Dr Cabrera again who let me know there were no complications. He made the comment that my stomach was larger then he thought it would be. Weird thing to say, but the important thing is that it's much smaller now.

It took a few hours, but the leak test became official, so they moved me to Clear liquids. I'm staring at these huge cups of Apple juice an grape juice. They taste so good, but after just a few sips.....haha. This is going to take a while to get used to.

post-201220-0-79050900-1390950762_thumb.jpg

MadB, thank you so much for sharing your experince as my date gets closer (feb 5) I freak out more. Do you think that this was worth? it's your pain better yet today?

Sorry for the delay......

Anyway, Tuesday night was really rough on me. I was obviously being weened off the stronger pain meds by that time, (which is good), but I could not get comfortable at all. It was all that dang drain. Whenever I moved, breathed, even thought it seemed to send shooting pains throughout my body.

The night Dr approved more pain meds, but after two more shots of morphine, there was no change. I just had to 'suck it up' and get through the night

Luckily, they took it out around 0900 on Wednesday morning. That was a very strange experience. I could feel the pain in my gut and my shoulder as he pulled it out. My mother watched, (since I wasn't about to), and said he pulled out about 1-1.5ft of tubing.

The good news - the moment it was out and I was bandaged, there was a 200% improvement. I showered, got all fresh bandages, and brought back to the Marriott. All but one of my meds was given to me, (as they were out of one). So once I got to the hotel, I called the lobby and asked for a pharmacy. They connected me, and 20 mins later I got a call that the guy was downstairs with my drugs for $15. Beat that Obama Care. (I kidd, I kidd).

So far, I would definitely recommend the procedure and my doctor. With that said, I am only 72 hours post-op, so that needs to be remembered.

Only 4 days to get the thought of all that tubing out of my mind. I feel nauseous.

Never thought I'd say this, but TMI IMO.

Water Nazi" data-cite="Water Nazi">

Only 4 days to get the thought of all that tubing out of my mind. I feel nauseous.

Never thought I'd say this, but TMI IMO.

You will do great!! Can't wait to meet you!! Good luck!!

See you there Vicky! Can't wait to meet you too!

Nurse James will be there too.

We have 3 different surgeons, two different hospitals and one hotel. too funny.

W