Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from Ireland!

hi girls

Thanks for the supportive comments when I was down. I had a major episode of feeling sorry for myself and then had to kick myself in my own ample ass. The fact that I can now do this is cause for hope. I have begun to embrace the good news and chill out about the bad. I have lost two stone and kept it (mostly) off. First time ever. I have a forum with loads of people who understand the band journey. I have a fill next Wednesday and I have a new resolution to stop sabotaging myself by drinking with meals.

SO - Alesha, band buddy, after reading your post I realised we have both lost the same amount in the same time - cannot be bad, eh? We are doing something right! Only positive thoughts from now on.

PS - I started Aqua aerobics again after Christmas - the thought of going is awful but once I get into the pool I feel great (sweaty and grunting and bobbing maniacally but great nontheless). I had to buy a new pair of togs because my old ones had become too big and I was in danger of knocking some lady's eyes out with the unrestrained boobs. SUCCESS.

Thanks again guys for the positive words.....I think January is a misery for everyone.:)

Hi Kermit

Your post made me laugh. Well done on making a start on the AquaAerobics. Between that and your next fill Im sure youll find things speeding up. I was very slow to accept the need to live by the "rules" of the band, especially the need to move on from mushies, to stop drinking with meals and to take up exercise. But once I got the longed for restriction all of a sudden it became easy to not drink and I got the motivation to move my lazy legs for once. (Because of my overfill I cannot claim virtue on the solid food front but hopefully that will happen too.)

Best of luck with your fill.

Ellen

You are all so good to take the time to answer my questions-it has cheered me up no end. I have decided not to be so obsessed about the whole thing and let the dust settle for a few weeks. I may very well try to get an appt with the Belgian Dr who's starting in Dublin and see what his angle is, now that I know a whole lot more about the op etc.

Also want to check out the Bons this week who are appointing a surgeon in March who will be doing them at some stage.

Nothing like sisterly solidarity!!xx

You are all so good to take the time to answer my questions-it has cheered me up no end. I have decided not to be so obsessed about the whole thing and let the dust settle for a few weeks. I may very well try to get an appt with the Belgian Dr who's starting in Dublin and see what his angle is, now that I know a whole lot more about the op etc.

Also want to check out the Bons this week who are appointing a surgeon in March who will be doing them at some stage.

Nothing like sisterly solidarity!!xx

Don't panic over it Penny. I'm sure the decision to have the op was one you thought about long and hard so don't rush it now that you have your mind made up. You need to be 100% confident in the op, doctor and hospital you choose or you won't be happy going for the op and that will make it so much harder for you.

Best of luck with your decision!

Hi Penny,

Would be very interested to hear about Bons. Will they be doing bands or is it just the By-pass?

Hi Penny,

Would be very interested to hear about Bons. Will they be doing bands or is it just the By-pass?

Coco

I read some posts on a UK site (wlsinfo - very good site by the way) today from some people bewailing the return of their surgeon to Cork in January this year. His name is Mr O Boyle who is currently in the Hull Royal I gather. From the sound of things, his patients think he's wonderful. This must be the man starting shortly in the Bons. The posts I read were from patients who had had the Roux en Y operation - I think thats what its called.

Ellen

Hi there, do you mind if I ask some advice. I'm due to have my 4th fill this Friday, was operated on by Dr. Jan and have had 3 fills with him so far and am yet to feel restriction. There are slots free for both Lou and Dr. Jan at the same time for a fill so I have a choice. I've never met Lou but you all seem to speak highly of her, Dr. Jan is very nice but I don't know if the fact I can't feel restriction is jsut normal and to see how this one goes?

Decisions, decisions, I really want to hit my sweet spot or at least get a few weeks restriction from this fill this time, feeling positive and motivated so want to get it right.

Any advice is much appreciated, thank goodness I foudn this site, it has been a source of much positivity and encouragement since I found it last week!

I personally prefered Dr Jan, he gave me my second fill with no problems, i met Lou a couple of weeks ago and she wouldn't give me a fill. I left feeling very disapointed.

Hi there, do you mind if I ask some advice. I'm due to have my 4th fill this Friday, was operated on by Dr. Jan and have had 3 fills with him so far and am yet to feel restriction. There are slots free for both Lou and Dr. Jan at the same time for a fill so I have a choice. I've never met Lou but you all seem to speak highly of her, Dr. Jan is very nice but I don't know if the fact I can't feel restriction is jsut normal and to see how this one goes?

Decisions, decisions, I really want to hit my sweet spot or at least get a few weeks restriction from this fill this time, feeling positive and motivated so want to get it right.

Any advice is much appreciated, thank goodness I foudn this site, it has been a source of much positivity and encouragement since I found it last week!

Hi Princess,

I would stick with Dr Jan if I were you, he did your op and will know whats right for you. It takes most of us 3 or 4 fills to feel real restriction. General rule of thumb is, if you are not losing weight or are gaining :tt1:, you are due a fill. I think its very important to weigh yourself every week and keep a written record that way your weight loss can't be averaged out over 6 to 8 weeks, you can tell when you lost weight and when you stopped. I hope that makes sense, in my head it does.:rolleyes2:

Glad your enjoying the site. Incidentally, I find Lu terrific, but I know she's not to everyone's taste.

Coco

I read some posts on a UK site (wlsinfo - very good site by the way) today from some people bewailing the return of their surgeon to Cork in January this year. His name is Mr O Boyle who is currently in the Hull Royal I gather. From the sound of things, his patients think he's wonderful. This must be the man starting shortly in the Bons. The posts I read were from patients who had had the Roux en Y operation - I think thats what its called.

Ellen

Hey Ellen,

That's a by-pass by its posh name.:rolleyes2: But its worth getting as much WLS info as we can so we know whats on offer. If he will be working for the HSE it will be a long wait to get to see him. I know from the wait list in Loughlinstown that waiting to be seen takes about 3 years, then you must fill out a questionnaire stating how much you eat & exercise keep a two week diary of all you eat and exercise etc. Basically its a right pain and on top of that you really have to have one foot in the grave before they offer you the op. Maybe with more surgeons in the country the waiting list will go down. But the HSE don't offer the lap band as yet. Just the by pass. I've seen that web site but I've not been on it for a while, I must check it out again.

I personally prefered Dr Jan, he gave me my second fill with no problems, i met Lou a couple of weeks ago and she wouldn't give me a fill. I left feeling very disapointed.

Hi Skinny,

Just make an appointment with Jan.:tt1: Did Lu give you a reason why she would't do a fill? :rolleyes2: If you're not losing weight and feel you don't have enough restriction, as far as I'm concerned its a no brainer, you have a fill.

How's the meeting shaping up, are many of the girls coming. I'll be there as long as I can drive/walk. Having my V Vains done tomorrow.

Hi Skinny,

Just make an appointment with Jan.:tt1: Did Lu give you a reason why she would't do a fill? :rolleyes2: If you're not losing weight and feel you don't have enough restriction, as far as I'm concerned its a no brainer, you have a fill.

How's the meeting shaping up, are many of the girls coming. I'll be there as long as I can drive/walk. Having my V Vains done tomorrow.

Hi Coco

thanksfor your inout - you too Skinny! I will just go along with Dr. Jan as I really like him and feel I can talk to him, also he is a surgeon so he should know his stuff.

I'd love to come to the meeting too, when and where is it? Anyone else coming? Coc, good look with your op tomorrow!

Feeling very positive these days, really looking forward to fill on Friday!

xx

Very best of luck with the veins Coco. my sister in law had that done and is in flying form. Do you get a general or local anaesthetic for that op?

I hadnt thought about the fact that the new doc in Cork might be with HSE only. I had just assumed he'd be operating privately cos the Bons in Galway (before they changed their name) was a private hospital.

Yes I kinda like the wlsinfo website (not as good as this one of course!). Lots of delicious tales on it about tummy tucks and such like which I can fantasise about as I pound the treadmill - even though I'm amillion miles away from being ready for such delights as tummy tucks.

Ellen

Penny

If Youre still unsure as to whether to plump (!) for the band or bypass I'd recommend you have a look at the UK websight wlsinfo.org.uk. There is a fair bit of discussion on that site weighing up the one versus the other.

Ellen