Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from Ireland!

Marge - feel free to pm me if you want any more information about my Belgium experience.

hi, I just re-read my very first post to the thread and realise it sounds very negative. so.. I just wanted to add that I am very glad despite the early complications that I have had this band put in. this time last year I was 10lbs heavier after Xmas than before. Big changes this year. I still enjoyed some 'naughty' treats and the odd glass of wine or baileys and i have not gained an ounce over the 3 weeks of eating/parties, etc. Plus both my kids had birthdays recently and even with all the treats and cakes around, I was able to stay in pretty good control of my eating.

so, it ain't all bad, sorry if I sounded really down!

Thanks! Jules

hi everyone!!

gosh its been ages since i've be on LBT! no-one know about my band and as i'm alaways in work and share a computer i dont come on cos i wouldn't want anyone to see the site and put 2 and 2 together.

how everyone had a wonderful xmas and all the best for 2008.

i would have love to come to the meeting, usually a few txts or emails are thrown around before the meeting but heard nothing from you guys! kinda taught it was strange as i got the xmas and new year wishes but maybe its just me being paraniod or maybe not.

So whats happening with this northside meeting? I see Skinnyirishgirl was saying the Hilton? its the HIlton in Swords/malahide isn't it?? is it called airport hilton? have you been in there is there a coffee bar or somewhere we could all sit?

anyways i hope everyone is well and loosing lots of weight or at least has restriction. i myself can not complain. i'm happier than i can ever remember. i'm lighter than i have been since i was 12. today in particular was amazing. was in French Connection and tried on a denim skirt size 12 and my mom (who is very hard on me still) said no that doesn;t sit right at all its too big. ha ha ha. still can't believe it. i know the clothes are big fitting in there but it still felt great!!!!

hope to meet up with you guys soon, lots of love

Dini

OH MY GOD! THE JANUARY BLUES HAVE CERTAINLY GOTTEN HOLD OF THIS THREAD.......

Hi All,

I don't know where to start, everyone sounds so down.

AIBHE: You've taken the first step and booked the op. Well done, the best of luck and keep in touch so we can cheer you on and pat you on the back.:)

ELSIE: Good luck with the research, don't forget to check out the aftercare. And thanks for the kind words.

SKINNYIRISHBABE: You defo need a fill by the sounds of it. Its not good when you are trying and the band is not helping. Talk to Lu or Dr Jan. sometimes they need to be reminded that untill the band is doing its job we can't lose the weight. It does vary from person to person as to how quickly we find our sweet spot although in Jeromes band it usually kicks in at about 4.5mls/5mls. Good luck and keep going back until you are happy.:wink:

ELLEN: Its fab when restriction kicks in. Welcome to the losing side.:cool:

KERMIT: Don't be down on your own. Keep posting it helps to get things out there, if you don't want to share with the world feel free to PM me and I'll listen and give my tuppence worth if you want it. :wink:

MARGE: I was one of the 2% of people who suffer with a band slip. There is no pain involved, I just couldn't keep anything down. Even liquids. I was defilled slightly straight away, this allowed me to eat and drink again, and I was sent for an xray within 2 days. I saw Jerome three times that week, each time I had another small defill until Jerome decided that I needed to have the band repositioned, and I had that done within 2 weeks of the slip. It was all handled very well and I was very happy with the treatment I recieved.:smile:

ALLURE: No Way......... I can't believe you've lost restriction again.:eek: What a complete bummer. I don't know what to advise, on the positive, could it be that because you have lost weight, the band loosened and its just time for another fill? Don't give up, keep having the fills I know you're way up there on the fill level but maybe thats just how its got to be for you. I'm glad that you have the appointment made let us know how you get on. :huggie:

ROE: Did you go on liquids for at least 24hrs after your fill? Believe it or not sometimes the fills don't kick in straight away and can take a couple of days. Always do the liquids only for the first 24 to 48hrs. I do and it works for me. On the other hand if there is no change within the week I would make another appointment. You want to get to your sweet spot so that you can start losing regularly. Good luck.:smile:

DINI: Great to hear from you. Its terrific that you are doing so well. Some of the girls were telling me that you look fantastic.:cool: I'm so pleased for you. You must try to log on more I know its difficult with your job but you could be such an inspiration to people on here. Sorry you missed our little meeting but Skinny is trying to arrange one on the northside which might suit you. Keep in touch and well done again. :eek:

So girls thats all from the house of coco tonight:biggrin::mad: hope you all are feeling more positive soon and remember things can only get better.:biggrin:

Hi im very curious, where are you having the surgery done in Dublin. Some of my friends are very interested but are not willing to leave the country as I did.

Hi Everyone

Just thought I'd add to the January blues.... as you can see my recent euphoria was shortlived!

I had a fill on Wednesday last. I can take liquids (carefully in the morning) but quite freely in the evenings. I believe I need a defill but am not sure how urgent it is (what Im thinking is do I really need to fly back to the UK for a defill ....groan.... or could it resolve itself yet I wonder).

I cannot seem to tolerate anything solid. I had scrambled egg yesterday (no toast mind you) and burped it back up. Several nights since the fill I have taken my normal medication before bedtime (1 pill split into 3 pieces) with Water and have vomited it back up- the pill is obviously the problem). Im afraid the vomiting will lead to a slippage but would just stick rigidly with fluids for a couple of weeks (minus any pills) rather than facing another trek to the UK if there is a possibility that the band might still loosen in the next week or so of its own accord.

Any ideas / advice from you experienced people?

If I did have to get a defill, does anyone kow could I get it from ACS even though I had my op elsewhere? Is there likely to be a long wait?

Yours, with my tail between my legs,

Ellen

Hi Everyone

Just thought I'd add to the January blues.... as you can see my recent euphoria was shortlived!

I had a fill on Wednesday last. I can take liquids (carefully in the morning) but quite freely in the evenings. I believe I need a defill but am not sure how urgent it is (what Im thinking is do I really need to fly back to the UK for a defill ....groan.... or could it resolve itself yet I wonder).

I cannot seem to tolerate anything solid. I had scrambled egg yesterday (no toast mind you) and burped it back up. Several nights since the fill I have taken my normal medication before bedtime (1 pill split into 3 pieces) with Water and have vomited it back up- the pill is obviously the problem). Im afraid the vomiting will lead to a slippage but would just stick rigidly with fluids for a couple of weeks (minus any pills) rather than facing another trek to the UK if there is a possibility that the band might still loosen in the next week or so of its own accord.

Any ideas / advice from you experienced people?

If I did have to get a defill, does anyone kow could I get it from ACS even though I had my op elsewhere? Is there likely to be a long wait?

Yours, with my tail between my legs,

Ellen

Hi Ellen,

Firstly, if you are comfortable to go on with the liquids for a week or so I think from experience as you lose weight your band will loosen. Its only a worry if you can't keep liquids down. Then you need a defill or you risk dehydration.

As you are still seeking your sweet spot I would carry on for a least a week. But its your body, your call.:smile:

Secondly, if you needed a defill I would approach ACS, I don't know how much they charge but I'm sure they would see you. There is no waiting list it is just a matter of who's working on which days. I know that Lu works every second Friday and every Saturday morning so if your worried I'd give them a call.

Does your GP know about your op? Sometimes if you're lucky and your GP is supportive of the op, they might be willing to help.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:eek:

Hi im very curious, where are you having the surgery done in Dublin. Some of my friends are very interested but are not willing to leave the country as I did.

Hi Paulina.g

Those of us who were banded in Ireland were banded with Advanced Cosmetic Surgery (ACS) in Dublin. I'm not sure if they are still doing it in Ireland anymore has they have had a hard time of it with the Irish Media. But if you go back a couple of pages it appears that we may have the Belgium people over here to do either clinics (fills) and or the lap band op. So keep watching this thread for further info.

Where did you have yours done and how do you manage with fills/aftercare?

How does saturday the 26th of Jan in the great southern dublin airport sound, say 12pm? there is loads of parking and they've a large lobby area. Been years since i was in it but i don't think there is a lot of parking at the Hilton and the lobby area in the Carlton is small. Let me know what you all think?

Hello all you Irish lasses, and indeed males, if there are any participating on this thread.

I am completely and utterly in shock at the amount of Irish people that have bands fitted. I joined this site a long, long time ago. There was only one other Irish girl that I knew of. It was quite isolating to be honest. It's great to see so many locals, as it were, chatting.

I had my band fitted a few years ago, and I'm doing fine.

Quick question. Does anyone know if I could get a Fill doctor here in Ireland? Is this possible, even though I had the band fitted abroad?

Anyone have any questions just drop me a line.

Im still in shock. I'd say I have not logged on here in about two years, and all of a sudden, an epidemic of band operations has broke out. I was not even aware that it was available in Ireland until a few months ago.

Good luck to everyone, and keep strong.

Hello all you Irish lasses, and indeed males, if there are any participating on this thread.

I am completely and utterly in shock at the amount of Irish people that have bands fitted. I joined this site a long, long time ago. There was only one other Irish girl that I knew of. It was quite isolating to be honest. It's great to see so many locals, as it were, chatting.

I had my band fitted a few years ago, and I'm doing fine.

Quick question. Does anyone know if I could get a Fill doctor here in Ireland? Is this possible, even though I had the band fitted abroad?

Anyone have any questions just drop me a line.

Im still in shock. I'd say I have not logged on here in about two years, and all of a sudden, an epidemic of band operations has broke out. I was not even aware that it was available in Ireland until a few months ago.

Good luck to everyone, and keep strong.

Hi Blacknamaste,

Welcome to our thread, its great to have a longtime bandster join us and I hope you'll pass on your wisdom now your three years on with your band. In answer to your question, there is only one place in Ireland doing the band although they have put the ops on hold here in Ireland at the moment, and that's Advanced Cosmetic Surgery, they have a web site where you can get their contact numbers ect. I'm sure they won't turn you away because you've not had your op with them. Phone them and ask, I have no idea what the charge as their patients fills are covered in the whole cost of the op. Best of luck and do come back and tell us where you had your op and how much weight you've lost and all the details that we bandsters relish.:smile:

How does saturday the 26th of Jan in the great southern dublin airport sound, say 12pm? there is loads of parking and they've a large lobby area. Been years since i was in it but i don't think there is a lot of parking at the Hilton and the lobby area in the Carlton is small. Let me know what you all think?

Hi Skinny,

I'd love to join you but it will depend on how I'm feeling as I'm having my varicose veins done on the 23rd but if I can drive and walk ok I'll be there. I hope some of the girls who missed the last one will make this one.:smile:

Have an appointment with Prof Ammori at the Bupa Spire hospital Manchester this coming Friday.Flying over and back in the day.Had it booked b4 i discovered that the Belgian Dr might be coming here to do consults.Anyway,decided to go with it and suss him out.Expensive tho' at 7000(STG) inc 3 fills.He has a fantastic cv and truckloads of experience and its so important that the band is correctly positioned from the start....however Belgium would be half that price.Will keep you posted!!!

Hi Guys, I would be up for the northside meeting but I want be available that day but if you lot are meein gup again count me in. I love the inspiration you get when you meet other bandsters.

Allure, Elsie, and Coco. Lovely meeting yous and I relly enjoyed our chat. I look forward to the next meet up.

Anywho I got another fill yesterday off Jan of 1 so that brings me up to 5.5 . After my last fill i had restriction for about wo weeks and then it went, not totally but enough for me to pig out. I didnt put on weight but I feel if I had have gone on any longer I would have. So fingers crossed that I hit my sweet spot very soon.

Im getting married in May and I so want to have to get my dress taken in by loads, I would be so chuffed as that would be a first for me.

Well I am down 13kgs since July 27th. :frown:I think that it is not enough. It works out about 1lb a week. The scales are going the right way but not quick enough. I would like to get another 10-15 lbs before the end of February, my hen weekend. I need to get off my fat lazy Breakfast roll and get out and walk or swim of something. Whats making it worse is that im out of work for a while and the food press is my best friend. After my fill now I hope I will find a new best friend, like the receptionst at the gym where im saying im joining the last few weeks. :) .

Anywho got to go.

TTFN

Hello to all, as I mentioned in my previous posts, i am new to this site and really havent been able to share any of my LbAND ?'S with anyone since no one but my Dh knows i had it done last August at ACS.

As I wrote, had lots of early complications but then got to be fine about 8-9 wks post op. Anyhow, had my second fill and now should have 4cc in the band. This was last week and I am struggling here. Not able to keep hardly anything down and lots of pb/sliming. Surviving on Protein Shakes and juices but starting to feel really tired today. Should I defill? Could I have slipped or is this ok to be so tight a week after? Should I just start eating chunkier foods to stretch myself a bit? I am happy to have lost 3lbs since last wed. but I have to go away with friends this weekend for 2 days and don't know how in the world i am gonna pull off eating b.l. and dinner with them all. they are gonna think I have got an eating disorder! Any suggestions would be great pls.

J