Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from Ireland!

Sorry you girls are having all this trouble with your fills.Jan told me that his contract was up in March when i saw him here in Cork.

There is a new obesity surgeon, Colm O'Boyle in Cork.He works out of the Cork Clinic,Western road which is in the grounds of the Bons secours which is the best private hospital in Cork.You will get his phone number from inquiries.

I have had a consultation with him and was very impressed.he has come from Hull where he was ADORED apparently.He will be operating from March-doing bypasses and bands privately WITH follow up. I think he would be worth checking if he would do fills for you as he has access to xrays etc.

hes not sure about cost yet as he is currently costing his "package" which will include aftercare and dietitician etc but he thought around 10k for band and maybe 13-15k for bypass.VHI and Quinn not covering but can be claimed on tax.

Dr De Bruyne will be in Ireland on 8 February and is planning to be in Dublin (depending on demand) every six weeks. Appointments can be made through his UK based secretary (see his website for details). Hope that's helpful for people...

Sally great news about Dr De Brune.Hope its worth his while to set up here. It would set our minds at ease

LUV ROE..

Thanks Sally,

Thats good news I think....at least now we have a fall back...should anything happen with our current provider !

IM HAVINGTROUBLE WITH MY TICKER AS YOU CAN SEE IT COULD POP UP ANYWHERE SO PAY NO HEED ILL FIGURE IT OUT YET I HOPE

Hi Roe,

this might help you.For the Ticker Factory: go in and create your own ticker (be sure to remember your password!)

At the end, highlight everything in the top box (the bb: box), right click and hit Copy.

Then come into this site and go to Edit Signature on the right. Left click in the big box. Then right click and hit Paste. You should see your ticker appear.

Be sure to go to the bottom of the page and click on Save Signature.

When it comes back, you'll see your ticker at the top of the page. (Then to change it, all you have to do is to double click on the one at the top of the page)...

To Anyone out there doing the milk diet in preparation for the op, or on liquids for the 24/48hrs after a fill, listen up: TESCO ARE DOING SLIMFAST PRODUCTS BOGOF.

To Nikkie

Yeah at my consultation with Debbie I asked what exactly did the 10K cover and she told me it covered everything for the life of the band. I asked what would happen if I had a slip or for some reason the band had to be removed, she said I was covered. I asked how long the band would last and I was told forever. In uncomplicated cases we have the band fitted, go for a few fills and see the dr monthly for the first three months then two/three monthly and then all going well once a year to check all is well. Now what I didn't ask was, if I decide to get pregnant a few years into the band will you charge me to defill and then charge me to fill it up again after the baby is born. I would imagine that I would have to pay for that because that is out of ACS's control. Most of us unless we had a problem with the band/port/fills whatever, would be finished with fills within the first year and would just need the follow up yearly checks. So maybe that's where the confusion is. I mean it's not anyone's fault if the band slips and needs to be sorted, it happens to 2% of banded people and I'm sure all providers take this into consideration when they are pricing their package in the first place. So anyone going abroad for the cheaper option should check what their package includes and for how long.:biggrin:

Hi coco. yes im here again .you must think im some kind of a dim wit.my 14 year old says a monkey could use a pc better than me. and the sad thing is shes right.so i wont ask miss know it all for help. i havent tried it yet.but i may later on if my typing finger dosnt get to tierd.thanks for posting the info to me.your a bit like aunt aggie to us all here.

love roe

by george coco ithink i got it .

Hey Roe,

And what a lovely ticker it is too.:eek::lol:Congrats on the weight loss, continued success to you.:eek:

Hey all, well done to everyone on the wieght loss. Im not doing too bad myself at the mo.:) I weigh myself every day and I can still see the needle dropping. I got banded at 15st 8lb and im now down to 13st 3lb. Wow. Its a brilliant feeling so it is.

Hey Kermit, band twin, good to hear you are back on track:thumbup:

Coco, I agree totally with you. I have had no major problems with my band but I cant help feeling a little anxious as to what the hell is happening with our aftercare. I hope I dont have to go back for a while as I think im at my sweetpot. But I do want to go for a slight defill just before I get married and I hope I can get a prompt appointment.

Why dont we, as a group write a letter to ACS outlining our concerns and see what they come back with. Its worth a try and we have nothing to lose. I will draft up a letter and maybe we could have a meeting ourselves in a week or two to discuss our wonderful weight loss and our concerns, and maybe Helena herself might like to join us!!!!!!

Talk later

Hi Alesha, Congratulations on your weight loss! I was banded on the 11th September (talk about a memorable date) and so far am down 3 stone 3 lbs. Like yourself I have had no major problems yet but am anxious as to what will happen if I do. I think ACS should indeed listen to our concerns and maybe a joint collaboration on a letter would get Helena's attention.

Bye for now.

Gerri

Hi everyone just got back from ACS what a day. Im like a pin cushion it took Lou four sticks to get my port. She was very nice about it. God was it sore afterwards. Jan is back 2morrow Lou said hes not leaving. He will be doing fills next week, so thats good news. I got a 1 ml fill 2day but Idont feel any change God knows where the fill went.with all the messing that went on, and pocking for the soft spot in the port it makes me wonder.I know it can take a couple of days to kick in.I think Ill go jan next time,Nice one Gerri ON THE GREAT WEIGHT LOSS Alesha your doing great as well must be lovely to have reached your sweet spot.Im so looking forward to reaching mine some day soon, keep up the good work . LUV ROE

Hi everyone,

Had a meeting with Helena and Ashling on Thursday with regards to the problems we experienced in Paris when we went to be banded. I found her genuine enough, she informed us that she is definitely not continuing with gastric banding. Jan will be affiliated to ACS for treatment but from what I could gather from her he is breaking out on his own and if my memory serves me right he will be doing the gastric banding in Beaumont. I wasnt in the right frame of mind on Thursday as I had some bad news the previous day and I dont know how much I took in. I had another appointment on Saturday for a fill with Lu, oh is my stomach sore, she seems to have great difficulty locating the whole in my port. I was working last night and the pain was unreal. I now have 4mls in the band, however I havent felt any difference in restriction as yet. I had no problem downing 2 cups of Water straight after. She told me my diet was terrible, but i dont work normal hours and dont sleep for long periods, so how could I eat normally, but I really believe what I have been eating is good and have not been eating crap. She said you should have main meal in morning, smaller one at lunch and a paupers meal for tea. A total of 1100 calories a day. She put huge emphasis on exercise. I think I have to join curves now as I dont do any exercise, dont have much time. I am going to try it as she says I have to be down to 90K in a month when she will see me again. Thats approx 8lbs I have to loose. Her weighing scales weighs much heavier than Nikki's and put me in rotten form. I am under the opinion she wont give me another fill until I have that weight off. I have been on and off the lipotrim for a few years and the weight falls off when using it, however i was never able to reach goal but very close to it and never did the maintenance diet as my hair was falling out and I HAD to go on holidays. I love the sun. I thought and still think the weight should be coming off me much quicker. When is it really going to kick in??? Some days I am so angry I got this done, but when I read about everyone else succeeding, I think it will eventually happen to me. I hope so, my daughter gives me terrible stick about spending 10k on myself. And is watchin me like a hawk, even commenting by times that im not losing much. I was 99.6kg starting and im 93kg now.

Hi Paulina

First things first, the band is not an instant fix, usually our sweet spot is attained at between 4 and 5 mls. Secondly, GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK, there is a lot to get our head round when we have the band done, before the op its all about the worry about the anesthetic, will we survive the op, how much will we be able to eat after the op. etc.:eek: Then we come through the op and we have our nearest and dearest watching every morsel of food we're eating asking how much have you lost etc.:thumbup: Well you know what its not instant, its long term, our heads need the same adjustment as our stomachs, it took me three months to get my head around what I'd done to my stomach. Take all the time you need, and know that once you're at your sweet spot and you're losing regularly, those same people will be telling you that your losing too much:lol:;). Try not to be over anxious, if joining curves is something you'll enjoy then do it. Its always a good idea to plan your meals when you don't live the conventional 9-5 lifestyle. Try to eat the same meals as everyone else in the house, remember to chew and chew and chew, put your portion on a side plate, if you want more after 10mins then have more but until you reach your sweet spot the weight loss will be sporadic. Although exercise always helps. The idea that Lu has of eating a big Breakfast a medium lunch and a small dinner is good for people who work 9-5 otherwise its not really practical, the idea of the band is to restrict the quantity of food we eat so its not always easy to eat a big breakfast, in my case my band is always tighter in the morning than it is in the afternoon and evening. For the most part you can pick up some tips from sites like this and from Lu but really I think its a lot of trial and error, once you get there though, it fab. Good luck and keep posting.:eek: