Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from Ireland!

Hi All,

Glad to hear things are not as bad as they first seemed. Hope you are all doing well now. I phoned Fitzwilliam clinic the other day to get an appointment this weekend with Lu and I was told that I had to make the appointment through Owenstown even though I would be having the appointment in Fitzwilliam. The girl on the phoned said she didn't know why or who had changed things around. I said no probs I have their number I'll phone them, I did and the guy who answered the phone in Owenstown said oh you'll have to phone Fitzwilliams if you want to see Lu, I explained that I had and that they told me the appointment had to be made through Owenstown, he transfered me to another person and this girl seemed to know what was going on. I was suprised that I couldn't get an appointment this weekend and they only had one appointment left next Saturday so I took that one. It seems like Lu is very busy.

Hi everyone

Hope things work out well for those of you having difficulties with the band and waiting for fills at the moment. Has Dr De Bruyne come to Dublin yet? Any update?

I was at my GP recently and was told that a Mr McAnena in Galway is now doing bariatric surgery. I believe he is well thought of. I went to him privately a few years ago re something unrelated and will be going to him in the next few weeks for a routine test so I may find out more. ......and to think he's been doing this on my doorstep all along while I've been trekking over and back to England!!

Anyway, I can report that this restriction thing is good. Ive lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks and before that it took me 3 mts to lose 4 measly lbs. Mind you Ive been on the treadmill 4-5 times a week for 45-60 mins reliving my misspent youth as I listen to Meatloaf.

All the best

Ellen

hello all, im from Waterford!

Im hoping to get a referral to Loughlinstown soon. Does anyone have any idea as to how long I would have to wait to be Banded here in Ireland (via Medical Card)? I dont mind where or when I get it done, but if its going to take absolutely ages, I might think about travelling to Belgium????

Can I just say that I think you are all wonderful support to each other on here and the best of luck to everyone on the rest of their journey(s)!

Many Thanks xxx

Hi So tired

I believe its a couple of years. Having said that I read some posts from a Dublin woman on another site who had paid for her surgery in England herself and then having lost the weight she got referred by her GP for an abdominoplasty publicly but after 3 months she applied to be moved to the Treatment Purchase scheme and had the job done free privately by a plastic surgeon in Dublin within 3 or 6 weeks. I wonder could that scheme be used to fund a lap band op abroad given that the delay here is so unreasonable....

Belgium does seem to be a very attractive option and Drs. de Bruyne and Dillemans in particular certainly seem to have a lot of fans in England from what I read on the wlsinfo site. I'm certainly thinking of the Belgium option for cosmetic work once I lose the weight as the costs here are just too ridiculous.

Best of luck with your research.

Ellen

hi ellen,

thank you so much for your reply. God 2 years wait! I should have known! When I get my appointment for Loughlinstown I will enquire further and let ye know what the outcome is. Yes, Belgium does seem like a cheap yet reliable option judging from many posts on here. I'd say I may go with that option if the wait for the op here is gona take forever. I would probably have another couple of stone up by then! I'm already 17stone so to go much higher really is not an option me thinks.

Well, thanks a mill for the info, will post again soon.

xxx

Hi sotired,

I was waiting 2 years for an appointment in Loughlinstown. This was even after 2 letters from my GP and a begging letter that I wrote myself! I went ahead and had the surgery with ACS last April and low and behold I got a letter from them a couple of weeks ago to say that I had been accepted ! ...Murphys law!!!!!!

hi guys - sorry to hear that people are having so many problems with ACS aftercare. Might be a good idea to document any problems as they occur in case there is an argument to be made later for refund/ compensation/ better treatment.

Got my 3rd fill and have some restriction but no willpower. New resolution begins Monday for sure.

Hey Kermit

Its so hard to get the motivation back after Christmas !.....This is only the second week back on my diet since Crimbo....I lost 7lbs last week.....which is exactly what I GAINED since Nov!.....Well onwards and downwards !

Dee

Hi everyone

Hope things work out well for those of you having difficulties with the band and waiting for fills at the moment. Has Dr De Bruyne come to Dublin yet? Any update?

I was at my GP recently and was told that a Mr McAnena in Galway is now doing bariatric surgery. I believe he is well thought of. I went to him privately a few years ago re something unrelated and will be going to him in the next few weeks for a routine test so I may find out more. ......and to think he's been doing this on my doorstep all along while I've been trekking over and back to England!!

Anyway, I can report that this restriction thing is good. Ive lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks and before that it took me 3 mts to lose 4 measly lbs. Mind you Ive been on the treadmill 4-5 times a week for 45-60 mins reliving my misspent youth as I listen to Meatloaf.

All the best

Ellen

Hi Ellen

Well done on the weight loss :biggrin:. I'm very impressed with the treadmill work, not being able to stick to any regular sort of exercise myself.:lol:

Delighted to hear that you found that surgeon in Galway at last, I heard at least 8mths ago that someone in Galway was doing the surgery, so at last the mystery is solved. I assume he's doing it privately. Any information you can get and pass on to us here will be great.

There is a lot of concern among ACS's WLS patients, me included, even though I haven't had any reason to complain about my treatment there, I'm concerned about the amount of people I'm hearing who have very valid reason to complain. Its got to the stage that I'm beginning to feel that I'm lucky not to have complaint, its a difficult one to call because generally the people who have had the op and have no complaints and are losing weight without incident, don't frequent these sites as often as those of us who are struggling, need support or have complaint. I wish ACS would get their finger out and invite all their WLS patients to an information evening to let us know whats going on about the aftercare we were promised, who we will see and how qualified they are to do the aftercare. We should also have a 24hr 365 day emergency telephone number. I for one would love to have the chance to meet all of the WLS patients those with and without difficulties so we can decide for ourselves whether we have cause to be worried and concerned about ACS. It can't be that difficult to organise and I'm sure they would have a 100% turnout. Maybe I'm being naive in thinking that ACS should do something like this but having paid 10K for the op and the aftercare for the life of the band I don't think its too much to ask.

hi guys - sorry to hear that people are having so many problems with ACS aftercare. Might be a good idea to document any problems as they occur in case there is an argument to be made later for refund/ compensation/ better treatment.

Got my 3rd fill and have some restriction but no willpower. New resolution begins Monday for sure.

Hi Kermit

Great to hear of your restriction at last. Remember to eat normal foods, no band friendly ones :eek:. Eat slowly and chew loads and you'll see the needle on that scales drop like nobody's business.:biggrin: Also, if we had willpower (which is hugely overrated in my opinion) we wouldn't have had the op. :lol:

Hey Kermit

Its so hard to get the motivation back after Christmas !.....This is only the second week back on my diet since Crimbo....I lost 7lbs last week.....which is exactly what I GAINED since Nov!.....Well onwards and downwards !

Dee

Hi Emerald,

Well done you, keep up the good fight. You're winning.:lol:

hello all, im from Waterford!

Im hoping to get a referral to Loughlinstown soon. Does anyone have any idea as to how long I would have to wait to be Banded here in Ireland (via Medical Card)? I dont mind where or when I get it done, but if its going to take absolutely ages, I might think about travelling to Belgium????

Can I just say that I think you are all wonderful support to each other on here and the best of luck to everyone on the rest of their journey(s)!

Many Thanks xxx

Hi Sotired,

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but loughlinstown, to date, don't do the band, they do the Gastric By Pass. Although that may change in the future. Unfortunately their waiting list is so long that they treat the most urgent cases first, in my case I was waiting almost 4years to get to see them, by that time I had had the band done privately. If you can raise the cash you may well be better to have it done privately there is lots of info on this and other web sites to aid your decision. Good luck.

There is a lot of concern among ACS's WLS patients, me included, even though I haven't had any reason to complain about my treatment there, I'm concerned about the amount of people I'm hearing who have very valid reason to complain. Its got to the stage that I'm beginning to feel that I'm lucky not to have complaint, its a difficult one to call because generally the people who have had the op and have no complaints and are losing weight without incident, don't frequent these sites as often as those of us who are struggling, need support or have complaint. I wish ACS would get their finger out and invite all their WLS patients to an information evening to let us know whats going on about the aftercare we were promised, who we will see and how qualified they are to do the aftercare. We should also have a 24hr 365 day emergency telephone number. I for one would love to have the chance to meet all of the WLS patients those with and without difficulties so we can decide for ourselves whether we have cause to be worried and concerned about ACS. It can't be that difficult to organise and I'm sure they would have a 100% turnout. Maybe I'm being naive in thinking that ACS should do something like this but having paid 10K for the op and the aftercare for the life of the band I don't think its too much to ask.

hi coco

i was reading through posts and agree with you about having concerns,though i have no complaints the band has worked for me and i have lost a serious amount of weight !!(97lb & currently 7 months pregnant)

however i have friends whom so far not been plain sailing and their treatment seems far from satisfactory and i also read you have an agreement for aftercare for the life of your band??? my understanding is it only 12 months after the op ?????????

then you pay for fills 300euros a time and also pay for consults.i am currently pregnant almost 7 months and was banded 14 months ago, so my time ran out so i think im on my own and have no comeback.

some positive stories would really help and a gathering of banded people including the more long term ones who have had all the teething problems and are doing well now would be a great encouragement and beneficial to the reputation of acs so maybe it could be suggested to them to arrange this as you said it cant be that hard ,though organising themselves hasnt exactly been their strong point .

Id really hope of all the bands they fitted that there are alot ofsuccessful weightloss stories and that they would come forward !!!

well done on your success coco !!!

Hi everyone, bit worried about acs myself, have an app for the 8thof feb when I called up to confirm they told me it wasnt in their books, I was livid, I gave her a right earful, She gave me an app for 11.30 on the 8th, Iwas so angry. I had made the app 3 weeks ago. I hope Lou might give us some idea of whats going on. Ill ask her anyway. anyone else going for a fill on the 8th (am)BYE FOR NOW LUV ROE