Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from Ireland!

Hi all, thanks elsie and coco for your advise,I've decided to wait till after holiday for band with two small kids and everything else i think i would just be looking for trouble! I've a new date for 15 th SEpt which is only 2 weeks after holiday s think it's the sfaer option. Only problem is i'm now looking on this as a final fling!!may have another stone to lose after hols!!! well done ailbhe on the weight loss feels good to get smaller clothes!!

Hi Gerri , i was originally booked to have my band with acs last year but wasn't impressed by them at all and i'm not great with anaesthetics but they said that didn't concern them!!? As a nurse a few alarm bells went off regarding their pre op care .I know a lot here have had there bands with them and are doing well but glad i didn't as i am always unfortunate when it comes to medical issues..u name i've got it!! This is why i now attend the weight mansgement clinic at loughlinstown and i've managed to lose 32lb in 7 months but still have over 100 to go so think now's the time for band.

Well done to all those post op...keep up the good work

36_1_75.gif

Hello Everyone

Ailbhe

I followed your advice on uploading a ticker. I cut and pasted the the code and when I try to upload it, it says invalid file. any advice?

Marge

Hi all

I haven't been on here for a few weeks, my father passed away last week and we had been by his bedside 24/7 for the past few weeks. It's been awful having to lie to all the people that were around as to why I wasn't eating.I'm back now and ready to move forward.

I've been in bits since my last fill on May 8th. I havn't been able to keep even Water down. I went to my new GP the week before last and he prescribed Stemitil for nausea, Locbiatol for swollen aeosphagus (from too much vomiting) and Nexium as even my stomach acid is coming up. (i had been diagnosed with Reflux Diesease before being banded and was told i would be on Nexium for life but a happy side effect from the band is it gets rid of reflux disease straight away).None of the above tabs have helped at all. i don't really know what the problem is but it feels like a folded over hose pipe but in my throat, not in my chest.

Dr also referred me for a barium meal but my loacl hospital no longer does them due to cutbacks and the next nearest hospital won't give me an appt as I don't live in their catchment area.I don't know what to do.

I got a text from a fellow bandster telling me all about the latest round of problems with ACS recently.Should i see if the Blackrock Clinic can do a barium and just pay for it or try and get an appt with Hospital Group/ACS?

Anyone ever had this problem before?????

....(I have lost lots of weight recently but would rather do it and be able to keep water down)

All advice welcome....& Thanks

hi Gilly...you've been having a terrible time.really sorry about your dad. With everything going on you must be exhausted. This on it's own plays havoc with your stomach and i'm sure it's contributing to your symptoms even if you feel you're coping. Your gp should be able to get you an appointment for barium at any hospital you don't have to be in the area especially if there's none available locally. Not sure how much it costs in the beacon. I really think you should stay on tablets and it could take 2 weeks o your symptoms to improve . Watch out you don't get dehydrated though and if you're symptoms disimprove loughlinstown hospital has an A+E and a banding surgeon who might be able to help...just not sure where you live. Hope you feel better ....will be thinking about you at this difficult time..mol

hi girls , i havnt been on fo over a month now and nothing has changed for me , i seem to be holding my own , not losing but not gaining ..... i rang the hospital group about a fill two weeks ago and was told they were waiting for some number that would allow them to do the fills in dublin and they were hoping to have that number in a few days , so i waited and waited and hey you guessed no call from them........ so i just rang them now and was told they are still waiting for that number , my problem is i was banded by gerome on 28/06/07 so my aftercare is rapidly running out , i said this to them and was told they are extending the aftercare by six weeks ..... so im still playing the waiting game , they will put my name on the list for belfast but couldnt give me a date for fills up there either...... i asked what happens if this is not sorted by the time the extended six weeks is up and was told they didnt know what would happen that we would have to speak to a manager regarding this.......... so we live in hope.......

Hi Gilly sorry to hear about your dad. It sounds like your band is to tight,you need to get it sorted asap.the last thing you want is to get dehydrated. Try calling loughlinstown hosp or maybe Dr Chris De Brune will be in town soon he may be able to give you a defill, either way dont leave it any longer. Let us all know you get on.

LOVE ROE

Hi all. Well, some bad news here. Myself and himself are definitely finished. I was still fully prepared to go to counselling and try to make it work but her has given up. He's even arranged a date with a girl he knows through work for next weekend. He only broke it off on Friday night. Bas*ard. I'm in bits. I would normally turn to food in this type of situation but not this time. I'm sick to my stomach. Can't eat more than a bit or two, been throwing up etc. Good news is the break up diet has helped me lose 7 lbs in 4 days. I can see it being a bestseller!

Hi all

Thank you for your kind words and messages.

I went to my GP yesterday who took a urine sample and sent me straight to my local hospital with a letter (said there were keytones & Protein in the sample). GP told me to go home and pack a bag as they would probably admit me (GP had another patient with same problems from ACS last year who was admitted to the hospital for a few days).

Went to the A&E, got chest & abdomen x-rays, urine,phlegm & blood samples & yes, I was dehydrated. Couldn't get a line into my arms as I was so bad but after 4 attempts got one in so have black & purple bruises up both arms today. Gave me a litre of saline and then a litre of glucose. Discharged late last night. They were very sympathetic and seemed to know a lot about ACS so must have seen a few of their patients. Gave me an urgnet referral for surgical Professor in the hospital and said if he can't see me soon they will send me for an urgent referral to Loughlinstown Hospital as they have a HSE surgeon there who does the banding. Gave me a 2 prescriptions for swollen aesophagus and inflammed throat/mouth, all in liquid form which I have to sip along with any Water & non-lumpy Soups if I can. They said I should be able to keep water down when the swelling does down.

I am not even going to ring ACS. The excuses I would be given along would just annoy me and I could really do without the hassle. If whichever Dr I get to see offers to take it out I might just let them, get my life back to some degree of normal.

Ailbhe-so sorry to hear about you and your chap, I hope you get through the "raw" stage soon and come out the other side a better woman for it.x

Thanks Gilly. You poor thing, you've had a rough time. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. That must have been hard and then to suffer from the band complications aswell.

I know my problems eating aren't the band thank God. My stomach is knots all the time and even the smell or sight of food makes me want to throw up. If I didn't know better I'd swear I was pregnant which would be ironic seeing as the major cause of our problems was me wanting a baby and him not wanting one.

All I can do now is do my best to lose this weight, give myself a makeover and when I am thin and fabulous and have men falling at my feet he will be giving himself a great big kick up the behind :lol: Oh well, a girl can dream. Though I'm very happy as I've moved into the 15 stone bracket as of this morning. Yay!

The first few days were awful but the awfulness isn't lasting all day today. I am still thinking about it and I had to start telling people but I've had a lot of support and I'm starting to feel I'll be ok. The first few days were me basically bargaining with himself, myself, God, the devil....anything but accept that this was happening. I am now veering between acceptance and anger but overall, I have my little girl, I have my health (thanks to the band)....I'll be fine. I might even be thankful for this in the future. He says he has to leave or he will always wonder if he was settling for something because it was easier. Maybe he'll regret it, maybe he won't. But I can't sit and mope about it. I'm 25, on my way to being the old me (i.e. the thinner me) and my confidence is returning. I used to be the life and soul of the party. I want to be that girl again :tongue:

Hi Ailbhe,

You're an inspiration. I love your feistiness.

Maybe this is the beginning of something better for you....sounds like the relationship was taking a lot out of you that that you can begin to get back.

Still,I'm sure what is happening must be dreadful for you as well...it's unbelieveable that he's got a date already!!??!!

About me;

Yes,(as elsie knows) I went ahead and had the op. 11days ago in Belgium.

The first couple of days were auful.I felt very unwell,a bit like a 'flu and I was afraid i had picked up an infection.

Anyway, I'm doing fine now and beginning to get the hang of what I can and can't eat,my 'new' signals for hunger and fullness etc.etc.

I'll write more when i have time.

Regards to all.

Hi Ailbhe,

Sorry to hear your news it must be rough. The important people now are you and your little girl. You are obviously a strong person and will get through this in time. Take care of yourself both physically and mentally.

Gilly, Sorry to hear the news of your Dad. I'm glad that you are getting sorted for the dehydration. I spoke to ACS/Hospital Group today but still no news for doc in Dublin. I've emailed the Irish Medical Council to see if they can shed any light on why there is such a delay in registering these UK doctors. Probably won't get a reply.

Damienne, congrats on having your op. Glad to hear you have gotten over the first few difficult days and are now getting the hang of the new regime. Hope it continues to get easier day by day.

Roe, presume you are in the same boat as me waiting for news of Doc in Dublin?

Hi Gerri, glad you got sorted take iteasy over next few days and hopefully things will settle down. Loughlinstown is where i attend and they're antastic and a lot of their patients are acs patients who've had complications it makes Donal o Shea (consultant endocronologist/ weight management) turn green when you mention their name! If you need to attend they'll be very supportive.Did you know that jerome's liscense to practise medicine in France was suspended for 5 years which is why he was under investigation in Ireland, hence the reason why he started operating in Belguim?! I think this is prob why it's taking them so long to appoint someone the Irish medical board have come under a lot of publicity over ACS.anyway keep the chin up hope band settles down and you can continue with it and acheive your goals..god knows you deserve it.

Ailbhe...sorry to hear about your split. You have amazing strenght and that will get you through this. You have the right attitude and that along with your weight loss will boost your confidence...as you said this could be the start of something fantastic...good luck

Gilly: I am so sorry to hear about your dad. It must have been a difficult time not made any easier by the problems with your band. I am glad you are getting some help now from your GP and the hospital. At least you know you will be in good hands if you get the referral to Loughlinstown. Let us know how you get on.

Ailbhe: Very sorry to hear it didn’t work out with himself. I cant believe that the bas*ard actually arranged a date with someone. Stupid selfish pr*ck.(Sorry for the language but that made me mad:cursing:) I can imagine the stress of it all is playing havoc with the tightness of the band. I hope in a while when you look back you will know that you were better off not wasting valuable time with him. You are a lovely person and will meet someone who deserves you and wants the same future that you do. You are only 25, have a lovely little girl, you are going the right way health and weight wise, you have a great personality, you are getting your confidence back, you will be better than fine you will be great. He is the one who will kick himself, not you! Congrats on getting into the 15’s.

Damienne: Welcome back. Glad you’re doing well and hope your enjoying mushies!

Last week I noticed a huge amount of hair coming out. It’s not like other Hair loss. This is full strands, roots and all, coming out by the handful in the shower and when I brush my hair. In work I noticed my chair even had a jacket of hair (yuck!). So I know this is normal for a lot of bandsters but I'm wondering who here has had this problem and how long was it before it stopped. For me I don’t think it’s a Protein problem because I'm doing ok with that and it’s not from "Rapid" weight loss because even though I am losing its hardly rapid. It has to be an anaesthetic thing after the op. I notice a lot of other March bandsters are talking about this and Ailbhe mentioned it last week and I was banded a week after her so it must just kick in a certain amount of time after the op.

I'm willing to go bald if I keep losing weight :):lol::lol: At least I can get a wig.