Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

THE TRUTH ABOUT BOOMERS

Have you heard the expression that the only way to solve a problem is to first admit you have one? Well, I have. It was a concept I learned in my early 40s, when I had a drinking problem. Until I knew deep down in my heart that drinking was controlling my life not vice versa, I couldn't fix it. Once I accepted that I had a problem, I could move forward and find solutions, which I did.

The same ... although perhaps a stretch ... is this group. On the one hand we happily post our stories about what's going on in our newly sleeved lives. We say kind and friendly things and support each other. It's a nice warm fuzzy we get whenever we visit this group.

But there is a dark side. Often it comes out as an afterthought, almost a whisper, when we admit something is lacking. We hate to say it, but it just isn't impossible to ignore it for long. We are low on enthusiasm and activity, which larger groups generate because of the sheer number of members.

We admit we have a problem. Now how do we solve it? First step, I think, is to accept that we are in the minority. Most Sleevers are decades younger than us. We've been around a while and life has made us complacent. We wait, unconsciously, for someone else to fix it.

That leads us to the second step. We all have a lot to offer others. From our perch of maturity, we have been through a lot in life, and several of us have been through a lot with the sleeve.

The second step is to stop waiting and get involved. In the early days of this group I would look for posts in other groups or online made by someone who appeared to quality as a boomer. Then I'd send a PM and invite them to check out us.

The PM can be as simple as: "Hi, I noticed your post and thought you might like another group I belong to. It's called "Baby Boomers" and you an find us on BariatricPal.com. It's fun and fulfilling to talk to a real contemporary and peer who went through the 60s and/or 70s, the same way you did. And now you're sleeved,"

Our group will be one year old next month. Wouldn't it be great to Celebrate with a new gaggle of groupies? If you'd rather have me contact the prospective member, send me the contact info and I'll be on it in a flash.

Comments or suggestions, of course, are welcomed as always.

Edited by SassySenior

Good post Sassy. Hello everyone. My husband woke me early this morning coming home from another sleep study night. Looks like the pulmonary doctor is having him toe the line and I love it, he thinks he is his own doctor. The sleeve process has made him jump through hoops thank God. I got reinforcements which I needed.<br /><br />I became pretty vocal in welcoming newbies that have posted, and I am trying harder to<br />throw in Baby Boomers here Sassy, to welcome them here. Seems there are a lot of people<br />over 60 having surgery. Maybe we are all too busy in our lives to post more? I for onehardly have a life LOL as my husband can hardly miss his afternoon nap. I think a lot of it is depression. Just the way it is when you can hardly walk. So I spend a lot of<br />time reading and posting.<br /><br />Lets definitely try and attract new participants.<br /><br />BTW Sassy, my sister once said before she passed away, "We are all addicted to something, food, alcohol, medicines, drugs........". I agree. I grew up in a long line of<br />alcoholics. I was bored and drank every night before surgery, felt I could not relax<br />without it, and am proud to know I<br />could quit and not have a desire for it since I started my WLS. Have a good day<br />everyone!<br />

Looking at my post above I tried correcting the words that separated in the middle as I was typing, and what a mess I made. Lesson learned.

Well, there you have it, Linda, you're not perfect, YET. ha ha

Posting, typing at night with no backlights on the computer ... writing a long passage only to lose it a minute later. These are the indignities we put up with to connect on the Internet.

In this group, however, it's totally worth it. It's so great to deal with mature adults who been around the block and don't do drama.

I belong to a couple of FB groups. One is a small group, which I love, and the other is much larger. In the small group, the moderator is a very nice lady, but she's a born again Christian who is constantly "testifying," "witnessing" and "proselytizing" in her posts.

Drives me nuts. I hate being preached to. I made the enormous mistake of saying something, which I thought was non-offensive. Her drama defenses went up and even tho I tried to take it off the main page and use PM, she wouldn't have any of it.

So I am even more motivated to keep this group alive. YOU FOLKS ARE WHAT KEEPS ME SANE!!!

As to attracting new members, just give me their info and I can send them a formal invite. In fact, I'm gonna race you to see whether you or I will get the first, new member.

Saint Linda ... I'm sure you've deserved that title between all the right and good things you do ... and keeping your hubby alive. BTW, my sugar was normal yesterday ... and I hadn't taken any meds!! Same with my BP, dropped 30+ points, WOW!!

Saint Linda I will never be LOL. I am very opinionated since I reached my 60s, and have told all my FB nieces, nephews, cousins, young friends, I have earned that right to say what I want now that I am in my 60s. Haven't made any of my relatives mad but I have chafed 2 people around here who were not nice a bit. Oh well. I am over the longtime need to have everyone like me. LOL.

Glad for the progress with your BP and sugar Sassy. It can only get better!! I pray for the day my husband could be off insulin but I have read posts and met a nurse at our surgeon's office who probably weighs 140, sleeved several years, and has never come off insulin. Hmmm.

I don't want preaching either. Not from Facebook for sure. I have a wonderful relationship with God but it is personal.

OK, I challenge you to that race LOL!!!! Get busy!

Linda,

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to merely supply me with the name of person, and I will issue a formal invite. The invite explains who the Baby Boomers is all about.

Hello! I was sleeved in March of 2013. I am a boomer I guess, 1956. I was blessed the day I got my sleeve! Now, though, I worry all the time that I'm stretching it even though I don't over eat. I guess I am afraid it will be taken away because it's almost too good to be true! My crazy pessimism!