Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going on 9 years- Sometimes I get SICK of Restriction! But....

It's like a love/hate relationship I have with my band -- UGH! Damn if I do (with restriction) and Damn if I don't (a looser band).

I will tell you, after having a restrictive band year in and year out...sometimes it get OLD...at least for me.

With my old band, I had kiss a@@ restriction and lived with that for years, until I had saline removed and I honestly (welcomed it) because I was sick and tired of getting food stuck, slimming, etc. chewing, etc.

When my surgeon removed some saline back in 2012 due to a hiatal hernia and back pain when it was filled optimally-- I felt FREE.. a release from (lap band jail)...LOL....

I felt so free, I went wild....I ate a Five Guys burger, with melted cheese and fries without getting that ( Deer in the Headlights) Look...you know what I am talking about :wacko: ;) .

Then I had a delicious philly cheese steak sandwich with toasted bun, onions the whole nine yards....I was on a roll....

I continued my FREEDOM...Until my pants started to get tight...and then I had to go shopping again for a new size....

At this time, my band was still pretty empty, I could not fill it properly because I had back and chest pains from my hernia, so I continued on a downward spiral of FREEDOM....forget about ice cream and candy...you know the sliders we sneak and eat with a very tight band....I wanted REAL food...and I got it...

Well...50 pounds later and finding myself in a size tight 16-18 pants...something that I NEVER THOUGHT WOULD HAPPEN WITH A LAP BAND INSTALLED....HAPPENED TO ME...ME? I was the person that was obsessed with the scale, someone who walked at 5 each morning, in 20-30 degree temperatures for 6 straight years...because I HAD CHANGED MY LIFESTYLE FOREVER? EVER ...EVER?

Once I found a surgeon to HELP me repair my hernia, give me a second chance to get my "grove back" I was humbled and grateful..

THE MORAL OF MY POST IS...NEVER THINK YOU GOT THIS WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY IN THE PALM OF YOUR HANDS....BECAUSE ANYTHING CAN COME AND TAKE IT AWAY FROM YOU ....

When the lap band is UNFILLED AFTER YEARS OF EATING HARDLY NOTHING...your metabolism gets SHOT...and if you EVER have to get unfilled....THE WEIGHT CAN COME BACK QUICKLY...I GAINED 20 pounds in ONE month....

And oh yea....after I had ..had my feel of Burgers and Cheese Steaks....it was too late to eat Broccoli and baked chicken....no matter what I'd done with a LOOSE band...I could NOT get the weight off UNTIL I got my lap band properly restricted again.....

It took over 14 months JUST TO LOSE the 50 pound weight gain, I was FINALLY BACK to my old lap band fighting weight ...it sure was not easy like it was when I was first banded...

So while my lap band (SuzieQ) is working NOW in full over load.....I still want to stuff my face and I can't, I just can't do it.....and you know what? I glad.... :P ...

Please respect your band and cherish with love, because one day...you may find yourself IN FREEDOM with an unfilled band and that is a very SCARY place to be!

Edited by NaNa

I have often wondered what would happen if I had this band removed....has it been in control for this length of time that I am now trained to eat proper foods and small portions? Never overeat?....Did I learn a new lifestyle??

Then I remembered how little self discipline I had, no motivation, could not loose weight on my own even though my life DID depend upon it....I was a failure at every diet I ever been on, medically supervised or not.....I don't even like the word diet...

Of course, the logical answer is, that even though I have gotten used to this so much I take it for granted, don't think or worry about it on most days.....it is still not me that is in control....it is the band that is ever there, operating in the background, controlling my hunger, cravings, portion sizes, and food choices 24 hrs a day....and if I step out of line, it will let me know it immediately!

Take that away and I am left with...what. Just Me alone again?

Ah yes, NaNa I know what you're talking about. I had some issues with my port in 2012 (right about 3 years post op) and needed to get my port replaced. My sugeon removed the old port and we decided not to put the new one in until we figured out if my abdominal pain and swelling were actually from the port. Well, when he snipped it free, a very tiny amount of saline dripped out before he sealed up the end of the tubing. I was pretty much NON-restricted after that.

I really, really tried to eat the same portions as when I was restricted, but I was damned HUNGRY! With our bands, I eat until I'm full, then I stop. I had lost almost 75lbs until that port was taken out. I gained 17lbs over 3 months and freaked out. I was really, honestly trying to count calories and keep my exercising up, but those pounds came back on in a blink. I was able to eat sandwiches again and loved it! I figured I would live it up a bit before the new port got placed and it was nice to eat bread, tortillas, french fries, and whatever else were my cloggers, but not go to nuts.

It took me 10 months to get those stupid 17lbs back off and IT WAS HARD!!

I am honest with myself and live "wide awake" now with the fact that I am, we are, food ADDICTS. We eat for nurturing, not for nutrition. I need this band, and I'm scared of the day if I ever have to get it removed for some reason. I don't abuse my band, never have. I have only vomited once in over 4 1/2 years and it was due to food poisoning, not because I over stuffed my pouch.

I have sliming occasionally when I eat too fast, and I'm thankful that my band keeps my addiction in check. I still turn to sweets when I'm emotionally upset, but I eat a couple of Hershey kisses instead of full candy bars. I also will buy the mini cupcakes from the bakery, eat 2 (100 calories), then throw the rest in the trash. I would have gladly and easily eaten the whole package before my band.

Therapy has helped tremendously to force me to realize my addiction/abuse of food. Just like anyone with an addiction, it's one day at a time, one meal at a time. Some days I beat my deamons, some days they beat me. I'm thankful that I have this band every meal so it keeps me full and restricted. It helps me stay strong so I can choose the best foods for my body and maintain my weight loss. I am 80lbs lighter and aiming for 100. I'll get there, and I'm in no hurry.

Congrats to you for getting that 50lbs back off! Never give up on yourself :)

well now, it sounds like I'm in the right group......similar story with different details....

went back on insulin 20 months ago due to A1c issues.

Had been fighting the 'vicious upchuck slimes' daily for 18 months.....

After tons of consult/exam/images/consult/etc/repeat, all complaint was relieved by dropping from 1.6/4cc (antique) Band, to 1.2, all symptoms went away. Mostly.

Now my hard-won Size 42/44s are slipping into 46/48 territory, I've vowed to get that extra 20# back off. Maybe I'll get back off insulin too.

So with Nutrition in mind, Happy New Year!!!

The statistics I read said those who have to have the band unfilled/removed gain their weight back + 10%. I think the statistics for those who stop non-surgical dieting are similar.

Count me among those who hopes never to have complications with my lapband, because I know on which side of the statistics I would fall should I ever have to have my band removed.

I have often wondered what would happen if I had this band removed....has it been in control for this length of time that I am now trained to eat proper foods and small portions? Never overeat?....Did I learn a new lifestyle??

Then I remembered how little self discipline I had, no motivation, could not loose weight on my own even though my life DID depend upon it....I was a failure at every diet I ever been on, medically supervised or not.....I don't even like the word diet...

Of course, the logical answer is, that even though I have gotten used to this so much I take it for granted, don't think or worry about it on most days.....it is still not me that is in control....it is the band that is ever there, operating in the background, controlling my hunger, cravings, portion sizes, and food choices 24 hrs a day....and if I step out of line, it will let me know it immediately!

Take that away and I am left with...what. Just Me alone again?

B12-- It's scary to unfilled, that's all I can say, sometimes we THINK we got obesity under control as long as we have a very restricted lap band. Somehow when the band is unfilled, many experience extreme hunger more than PRE OP...which can be very scary....

You are doing great, hopefully you will never have to be unfilled or band removed.

Ah yes, NaNa I know what you're talking about. I had some issues with my port in 2012 (right about 3 years post op) and needed to get my port replaced. My sugeon removed the old port and we decided not to put the new one in until we figured out if my abdominal pain and swelling were actually from the port. Well, when he snipped it free, a very tiny amount of saline dripped out before he sealed up the end of the tubing. I was pretty much NON-restricted after that.

I really, really tried to eat the same portions as when I was restricted, but I was damned HUNGRY! With our bands, I eat until I'm full, then I stop. I had lost almost 75lbs until that port was taken out. I gained 17lbs over 3 months and freaked out. I was really, honestly trying to count calories and keep my exercising up, but those pounds came back on in a blink. I was able to eat sandwiches again and loved it! I figured I would live it up a bit before the new port got placed and it was nice to eat bread, tortillas, french fries, and whatever else were my cloggers, but not go to nuts.

It took me 10 months to get those stupid 17lbs back off and IT WAS HARD!!

I am honest with myself and live "wide awake" now with the fact that I am, we are, food ADDICTS. We eat for nurturing, not for nutrition. I need this band, and I'm scared of the day if I ever have to get it removed for some reason. I don't abuse my band, never have. I have only vomited once in over 4 1/2 years and it was due to food poisoning, not because I over stuffed my pouch.

I have sliming occasionally when I eat too fast, and I'm thankful that my band keeps my addiction in check. I still turn to sweets when I'm emotionally upset, but I eat a couple of Hershey kisses instead of full candy bars. I also will buy the mini cupcakes from the bakery, eat 2 (100 calories), then throw the rest in the trash. I would have gladly and easily eaten the whole package before my band.

Therapy has helped tremendously to force me to realize my addiction/abuse of food. Just like anyone with an addiction, it's one day at a time, one meal at a time. Some days I beat my deamons, some days they beat me. I'm thankful that I have this band every meal so it keeps me full and restricted. It helps me stay strong so I can choose the best foods for my body and maintain my weight loss. I am 80lbs lighter and aiming for 100. I'll get there, and I'm in no hurry.

Congrats to you for getting that 50lbs back off! Never give up on yourself :)

Hello..

You are so right we are STILL food ADDICTS, the lap band just puts us in remission..LOL..

I so agree, when the band is unfilled there is an EXTREME hunger, It is vicious, I would get so hungry I would get nervous....it's a very scary thing!

Congrats on getting your port fixed, hopefully you won't have any more issues....

We are in this struggle together!

Edited by NaNa

well now, it sounds like I'm in the right group......similar story with different details....

went back on insulin 20 months ago due to A1c issues.

Had been fighting the 'vicious upchuck slimes' daily for 18 months.....

After tons of consult/exam/images/consult/etc/repeat, all complaint was relieved by dropping from 1.6/4cc (antique) Band, to 1.2, all symptoms went away. Mostly.

Now my hard-won Size 42/44s are slipping into 46/48 territory, I've vowed to get that extra 20# back off. Maybe I'll get back off insulin too.

So with Nutrition in mind, Happy New Year!!!

Hi Jack!

Good to hear from old timers, someone I can relate to very well! Yea after a few years of having the band sometimes it starts to behave "very strange' that happened to me, I developed a inflamed hernia out of the blue....it just happened after I'd gotten my last adjustment and ate some salsa and it was down hill from there, I could not get my band filled again without horrible pain...so after several tests ($8,000) worth of test Upper Gis, Endoscopies, Xray, CT Scans...they found a good size hernia...and my insurance paid to fix it and remove the old band and replace a new one (another $18,000 dollars)....I am grateful that I found a surgeon to fix me. That problem cost my insurance over $40,000...so the band CAN get very expensive.

Good to hear you still have your old band, I honestly miss my truly, but I have come accustom to this bigger Allergan Band, it definitely does not have the restriction the older band has, but overall I am happy with it, my insurance paid for my revision so I can't argue too much.

We are in the fight together to stop this regain, good to hear you are heading back on the right path!

After being banded 2 years, I sometimes resent my band. Man, I would love to be able to indulge in a philly cheesesteak sandwich on a nice piece of thick toasted garlic bread. But then I think about how great it feels to shop in regular clothing stores & buy clothes because I like it, not just because it fits and all the other wonderful benefits of losing 100 lbs.

I LOVE my band. If something were to happen to this band & I could possibly afford it, I would get rebanded. If it happens that one day, for medical reasons, I can no longer have a lapband, I know I would be screwed.

The statistics I read said those who have to have the band unfilled/removed gain their weight back + 10%. I think the statistics for those who stop non-surgical dieting are similar.

Count me among those who hopes never to have complications with my lapband, because I know on which side of the statistics I would fall should I ever have to have my band removed.

Hello..

Yep you are correct, everyone that I've known long term that had to get unfilled gained weight back and it was over 20 pounds, some gained every pound back....

You have to really exercise with a restricted band to keep the weight off long term...we can't get complacent!

Sometimes we get cocky and THINK we have this obesity bug beaten...as long as we got ammunition of a tight band....honestly when my band was unfilled -- I felt hopeless..I cried after gaining weight back...all my hard work was ruined!! And I had a very hard time getting the weight off again.

our journey with health (losing weight or maintaining), never ends...

great thread nana

Step you were like ME! I was a shopaholic....I loved buying new clothes size 10,.....

After being banded 2 years, I sometimes resent my band. Man, I would love to be able to indulge in a philly cheesesteak sandwich on a nice piece of thick toasted garlic bread. But then I think about how great it feels to shop in regular clothing stores & buy clothes because I like it, not just because it fits and all the other wonderful benefits of losing 100 lbs.

This was my reasoning for getting rebanded, my band helped me lose so much weight, even though I had a love/hate relationship with it...I got VERY upset with my old surgeon because he did not help identify my problem....and I was unfilled TOO LONG (reason I gained back so much weight)...and I had to search high and low for a good revision surgeon, but I found one and I am happy I was able to get rebanded...it was well worth it....

Edited by NaNa

First banded in 2008 and lost 100lbs. After 4 years I got lazy and started cheating, result=sick. I would force myself to get sick because of overeating,result= band slip. Small slip at first so Dr removed saline to 0 fill to heal but I felt free to eat more and I did. I should have done the pre surgery diet but I didn't. I kept eating getting sick over and over until the pain came. I had slipped so bad my stomach was like an hour glass. The band was removed 2/13. Gained all 100lbs back. Now going in again 1/14/14 for second band.

I hope and pray I don't become lazy over time again and repeat this mistake. I must go to Dr appointments, must say on task.

I am afraid that I will fall back on bad habits, That's my worst fear. The surgery and pain is nothing compared to fear of failure again.

Anyone else been thru this....? Thx

whats done is done

you acknowledge what is wrong and also what NOT to do

so when the new band is placed, follow and do what your dr advises you for best results

you did it before by losing a whooping 100 pounds and you WILL do it again.....if you want too

best of luck :)

First banded in 2008 and lost 100lbs. After 4 years I got lazy and started cheating, result=sick. I would force myself to get sick because of overeating,result= band slip. Small slip at first so Dr removed saline to 0 fill to heal but I felt free to eat more and I did. I should have done the pre surgery diet but I didn't. I kept eating getting sick over and over until the pain came. I had slipped so bad my stomach was like an hour glass. The band was removed 2/13. Gained all 100lbs back. Now going in again 1/14/14 for second band.

I hope and pray I don't become lazy over time again and repeat this mistake. I must go to Dr appointments, must say on task.

I am afraid that I will fall back on bad habits, That's my worst fear. The surgery and pain is nothing compared to fear of failure again.

Anyone else been thru this....? Thx