Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

K, so I just got my surgery date today, February 18, and I feel so silly because right now the thought of the surgery doesn't freak me out. My sister, numerous friends, etc have had it. But the thought of getting an IV makes me dizzy. I have to force myself not to think of it. I tend to faint. I've had at least 10 for various reasons (surgeries and illnesses) and I think I've only stayed awake for 2. I know, I know. I'm a dork.

Edited by superfatty

I chuckled at your post - my son had to go to the ER a couple of weeks ago and they put in an IV. He freaked out. He was quizzing the nurse - "Can you tell me what you're going to do before you do it?", "Why are you doing that?" "What does that do?" He even wanted to hold my hand while they were inserting the needle. (He's 14, it was sweet that he still wanted Mom.)

I can say, I don't like needles either. I look away when they get close. It helps. I told the nurse that it was a little uncomfortable about 20 minutes after she put it in and she said, "It's OK, we'll adjust it if it isn't comfortable." I was scared to tell her.

You'll do just fine - it's one more step you have to endure. You got this - Feb 18th will be here before you know it!

Yup, McButterpants is right, the trick is to not look at the needle. Just look away and distract yourself, it helps a lot. It'll be over as soon as it starts. You're lucky if you're not like me with the nonexistent veins. I'm like a pin cushion by the time they find a vein, so I make it a habit of just telling them to just put it in the top of my hand. It's more uncomfortable, but it beats getting stuck multiple times and black/blue marks all over your arms.

The IV definitely will not be the highlight of your day. I do suggest that they put it in your non-dominate hand or arm. It's hard to eat, drink, or even toilet yourself with an IV in your dominate hand.

Here's the other thing....one time I was having a needle inserted for a blood draw. The nurse said "you are going to feel a little prick." I replied just out of nowhere "My ex-husband was a little prick!"

So if you keep talking you way through it, the apprehension may not be so bad. You can do this.

Thanks y'all. Thank goodness you can see my veins from across the room. I'm a 39 year old version of McButterpants' son!

Miss Mac, that is freaking hilarious!!!!

Communicate all of your concerns to the nurse as soon as you get into pre-op. They can put a topical lanicane (sp?) to numb the area a but so you feel absolutely nothing. Deep breathing exercises also will help you throughout the day.

Just keep breathing, just keep breathing ...

dory-from-finding-nemo.jpg

Communicate all of your concerns to the nurse as soon as you get into pre-op. They can put a topical lanicane (sp?) to numb the area a but so you feel absolutely nothing. Deep breathing exercises also will help you throughout the day. Just keep breathing, just keep breathing ...

Ok. Just knowing they can numb it helps me get my head on straight.

Drink tons of Water the day before to make sure you are hydrated.

I NEVER look when they do it. I feel like it helps to not see it happening.

The IV I received for the sleeve surgery is the first time I had a numbing agent. It stings, but only for a moment, and you don't feel the IV insertion at all. I will ask for that process should I ever need another IV.

Due to repeated DVTs / PEs I am accustomed to being a pin cushion. I usually let them know up front that I can be a hard stick. Some come back all cocky and say "I can get anyone" while others tend to thank me for the warning. I have to tell you that the nurse who did my IV for the surgery was AWESOME! It did not hurt and she got a great vein. ( in my lessor hand) So just take a deep breath, look away, and before you know it the IV will be in and that part will be over! Good luck!!!

Yes, Sassy Pants is correct - HYDRATE the day before.

I am the same way. I pass out every time and have non existent veins. It's so embarrassing but I can't help it. The nurse said it's some type of nerve in your brain that does it. I was told to take deep breaths! I always tell then to poke my hand. We'll see how I do tomorrow.

I am the same way. I pass out every time and have non existent veins. It's so embarrassing but I can't help it. The nurse said it's some type of nerve in your brain that does it. I was told to take deep breaths! I always tell then to poke my hand. We'll see how I do tomorrow.

Well I definitely want to wish you the very best of luck!! You'll have to keep us updated on everything when you're able to.

Welcome baaaaack! I'm so glad you're here! Congratulations on yer date. You can just tell them and they'll make you loopy, wait til you're loopy, or under general. You totally got this. Woohoo!!! Get yer life! Yay!!!!

Welcome baaaaack! I'm so glad you're here! Congratulations on yer date. You can just tell them and they'll make you loopy, wait til you're loopy, or under general. You totally got this. Woohoo!!! Get yer life! Yay!!!!

Thanks!! Yeah. It will be a major cause of anxiety and I'm gonna ask them to give me a chill pill. Lol