Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

newbie... gs... lots of questions help

Hi. I am looking in to GS. I am 5'8 1/2 . 35 years old and last I weighed myself I was 210 pounds... more probably by now.haha! Anyways I'm not able to get GS here in the states. So Mexico it is. However I've been researching RR alejandro lopez and his wife. I seem to warm up to them more then any other surgeon down there. Also to see that

Dr Lopez is on the American bariatic board of surgeons and has worked in cook county Illinois . I am wondering if anyone had this procedure done by this Dr? Exp please???

Also I would follow diet to a t and am so freaked about leaks... and the fact I have to fly from Milw WI to Mexico to do this. I hate planes too. Haha. Well if any one out there can give me some insight I'd be so greatful... lots of details please!!! Thanks in advance!!!

I had my revision from band to sleeve In Milwaukee, well, because I live here. Froedert has a really good program, have you looked into it?

Hi kylee... thanks for input. Ummm I don't have insurance or I definitely would. I'm paying outta pocket. What's did u o

Pay at fredort? Tyyyy so muchh

Edited by shalisa

I went to Dr. Aceves in Mexico by myself. He has a fantastic reputaion and I wanted to be in a hospital not a recovery center.

I would check him out . There are many of us on this board who have gone to him.

Hi there...while i did not go to this specific doctor, i did go to Mexico. My doctor was dr. Ponce de leon. He was wonderful! As soon as I arrived at the hospital (8 am) i was shown to my room, given my hospital gown and put on my leggings and shoes. The leggings given are super tight white things that go all the way up to the tip top of your thigh. They stay over your foot like foot pajamas, but there is an odd/uncomfortable hole that goes at the bottom of your foot. I had to wear mine for most of my stay as they help prevent blood clots. The "shoes" are the blue slippers that usually cover your shoes that are provided when you are accompanying someone having surgery. They took some blood to do a few tests and did an EKG. I waited for my results. I had my IV put in. I had to answer some questions (some were quite odd) and got to meet my surgeon and ask whatever questions i may have. Before I knew it I was told to get in my wheel chair. I was wheeled up to the door of the operating room. I opened the door and it was bright and a little scary. The nice staff helped me get on the table and as soon as i laid back they put the sleeping juice into my iv. It stung and so the guy rubbed my hand until i passed out. I woke up a few times in the recovery room. Then i woke up in my room. I slept here and there through the pain. I was very shocked by the pains of the first day. I had read that the gas pains hurt, but i have never had gas in my upper body so i ignored it and just prepared myself for stomach gas, incision pain, and interior stomach pain. I had two c sections so i expected the burn that you feel afterwards. I had absolutely no pain inside of my stomach. I had severe gas pains in my shoulders, chest, breasts, and upper back. (My back still aches and it never did before.) But that may go away with time. The first day was excrutiating and only from gas. Incisions were barely sore second day alone. I was great after first day. Tailbone hurt for the first two weeks no matter how many pillows i sat on. I got nauseous once and threw up one mouthful of blood and was fine. I have four small incisions and a draintube. My tube was stuck behind my ribs so whenever i would breathe in it would cause discomfort and made it difficult to breathe. Having my tube removed hurt because I had to breathe in while it was being pulled out and when i breathe in is when i feel it behind my ribs. Now...let me take a sec to mention that a heating pad will be the best thing you could pack for the gas! That and comfy house shoes and a robe to cover your bottom while roaming the halls are the main things needed. I stayed in hospital for three days/two nights. And then the hotel last night (hotel was amazingly beautiful!) No drinks until the last day at the hospital. Now for the leaks. Dr. Ponce I am told does a quick leak test during surgery before closing you up. On the second day i had to stand between two round xray machines and was given a small cup of clear liquid. I had to take a small swallow then wait thirty seconds and take another one. I ended up getting too big of a mouthful so i just swallowed half and waited a few seconda and swallowed the rest. You get to see the liquid go down your throat and into your sleeve and then it quickly movea into your intestines. It tasted like the stomach acid you throw up in the morning on an empty stomach! Totally nasty, but you don't have to drink much. However, because you can't drink anything to rid your mouth of the taste it does stay for a little while. I had no leak! Yay! Then on the last day at the hospital i did my last leak test (and this is where the drain tube came in) i was given a small cup of a blue Fluid. I had to drink the entire fluid (yuck!) It took me 2.5 hours to drink and, while not as bad as the other drink, it was disgusting. While in my mouth it tasted like Water, but when you swallow it, it turns to this disgusting flavor! Over the next few hours you watch the drain pouch to make sure none of this blue dye goes into it. No leaks! Lots of leak tests were performed by my doc so i was happy. (another side note...bring jammies with pockets so you can put your drain into it. While walking the halls you have to push the poll with fluids and then you have to use the other hand to hold your drain. I just put mine into my pocket and it made it more convenient.) I was also given a video of my surgery taking place on the inside. I watched it and i found it conpletely fascinating! After i had the blue dye i was given nasty tea and apple juice. Then in the hotel i got the best broth ever! I will also admit that the first week after surgery i had these regrets. Every morning i would wake up and remind myself it was done and thinking about how permanent it was and "oh my word what did i do?" I was terrified! But i am now one month and 19 days post op and down 50 pounds! I am very happy i had it done! Staff at INT hospital were great and my coordinator trish was awesome! No rags were provided at hospital but tiny shampoos and conditioner and soap were. Your iv cord is removed from the iv port in your hand so that you can shower and put on your jammies or whatever clothes you choose to bring. I strongly recommend that you check into dr. jaime ponce de leon in Tijuana if you are going to mexico. I did tons of research before hand and was super impressed that i found no negative reviews on him...you get a video of the surgery...the hospital was nice (i saw a youtube video with pics), trish is amazing and comes in to help with anything you need, it was an amazing experience. I would check him out at least. IF you have any questions just ask! I tried to cover everything. You do get to meet with a nutritionist and my pre op diet was just 3 days of yogurt and water. I apologize for the many typos but i am doing this from my cell! LOl good luck! Oh and you do get pain meds in your iv and then at night a shot in your shoulder for pain and to help sleep. I have a phobia of needles. They actually woke me up to give me the shot in my shoulder to help me sleep and help with pain which did annoy me as i was asleep so i had no pain and didnt need help sleeping. Also the shot hurt so badly and it had the opposite affect as i had a hard time falling asleep afterwards so i opted out of it the next night. I also opted out of the pain shots in my iv on the last day because they burned and i was not hurting (or at least not until i got the shot lol). I was also being given nausea meds but i would only feel nauseous after receiving the meds so i decided to not get those either. That was completely on me, though, and i decided to do this after paying attention to my body and how it was reacting to everything. I personally handled things much easier med free.

Also i saw someone else asked this in another post so i wanted to let you know. I had no feeding tubes, no catheter, and no breathing tube when i woke up.

O wow this is so awesome to read thanks to all of u for the wonderful feed back . I feel my research is allowing me to feel more confident and secure in knowing this has to be done. I am so very thankful for the info and love the details! Thank you all so very much! Chunky dunk. Tyyy..!!! Can u tell me the cost for the surgeon u had? Dr Lopez is doing mine for 4200.00 its in hospital as well. But I didn't confirm just yet so if your drs cost is around 4200.00 I could probably go to him.!!! I am looking at March! I am worried because I do smoke and hope I can stop the two weeks before. Ivan aware its got a lot to do with healing. Tyy again this is fascinating !!! My bf thinks this could b a scam too any thoughts on that? Tyyyy ladies!

American girl... let me know how yourms gos. I have to decide on a Dr in a week. I had my heart set on Lopez but all yours sound excellent as well I'm confused lol

American girl... let me know how yourms gos. I have to decide on a Dr in a week. I had my heart set on Lopez but all yours sound excellent as well I'm confused lol

Salisa, I used alighterme and had Dr. Lopez. I was supposed to have his wife also, but ended up with Dr. Ortiz at the last minute assisting him. I had my surgery 11/3/12. I have come a long way, and had excellent results. Having had the same Dr, I can tell you he was excellent. I am sure he 8s an amazing surgeon. My reservations are thus: Dr. Lopez is not very personable while he may be a great surgeon, his bedside manner and command of English were lacking. I did have a Great experience in Mexico, but it was because of alighterme. The company took amazing care of myself and my mother. There was one of 4 coordinators around every step of the way. 8 often hear from many others that the company you book through makes all the difference in the world. I never saw or heard from Dr. Lopez after my surgery, and I still regularly email with Janese (My coordinator) on a regular basis. There are many skilled American Board Certified surgeons in Mexico, but I suggest you also look at the company that is representing the surgeons as well.

Go on you tube and look them up. Lots of videos on each doctor. I am very secure in my choice of Dr.Joya. Go on Dr.Joya website and call them. Gerald is the coordinator. Very nice. They are great at answering questions.

Thank you 920 Amy I appreciate the info. Yes I am still researching my best options. I do have a coordinater she's been pretty good so far!

I am so sorry it took me so long to respond! I paid $5,200 for mine. But, I also paid $500 for using my coordintor Trish. She comes in every single day and makes sure that you are happy and have everything you need. She talked to the doctors for me if I needed anything and would tell the nurses things I needed done. She would bring my Mom food and took us out to "eat" and shop around. She even brought me this adorable gift basket with different little things like tea, chapstick, little hearts and things, a balloon, a mug, and an absolutely adorable goal T-shit! I got my DVD with the surgery on it which was AWESOME! When I talked to her I told her that I found a place advertising dr. ponce de leon for much cheaper and she said that there are several websites out there that say big named surgeons doing it for a cheaper price, but a lot of the time they will use a cheaper doctor. But, that definitely isn't to say that that is the case! I can see someone paying around that much for it. Trish also arranged our pick up to bring us across the boarder straight to the hospital and from the hospital back to the US airport. She also arranged our hotel "La Cerna" I think it was? So, we did get more going through her than we would have without. It is a little more, but I would do it again and again through him. He was wonderful and he took excellent care of me. Are you going to a recovery house after you leave the hospital or do y'all just go straight home or a hotel? Is that included in your cost? Also, I don't know if I mentioned, but the airplane ride back home didn't affect my stomach at all. That was a concern of mine, but I had no issues there (aside from a severe ear ache LOL).

https://www.facebook.com/#!/TrishyLupz?fref=ts

This is my coordinator's website. More of a personal look into her as a person. dr. ponce de leon isn't the best in English, but he always has someone with him (mostly Trish) to talk. He is very nice and he took a picture of my stomach once it was taken out too. I gave him my camera and asked for one pic of my stomach and I got several pictures of my stomach once it was out, and then a picture of me laying on the bed during the actual surgery which was pretty cool of them!