Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling, but sustaining...

I was banded in March 2013, and procrastinator that I am, have finally mustered the courage to join this site to seek the wisdom, honesty, camaraderie, and hope that I need to turn what I fear is a colossal failure into a journey of personal success, or at least get closer to that success than I am right now. I have approached my "post-op" life inadequately to say the least, and am hoping that it is not too late for me to turn things around and do it the right way. I realize, especially after reading the numerous stories noted here, I cannot be a passive bystander in this journey; I must take control and responsibility and stop thinking of my band as a quick fix that requires no effort or conscious thought on my part. I have to stop a lifetime of using food as a friend, comfort, and form of escape and understand that the band can't fix those issues for me. I naively thought all my issues with food would disappear, and I would awaken from surgery, much like a doe-eyed Disney princess (only chubbier, and not as pretty), to this new, bright, and beautiful future where the weight would fall off with little effort, and I would soon confuse my daughter's size 1 jeans with my own while folding the laundry....yeah, quite the fantasy, huh? Things haven't exactly turned out that way. Now it's time for the reality check----wish me luck.

i do wish you lots of luck. its nice to have fantasies. i fantasize about what wt. i will have lost at a certain time. i can't wait until summer! you oughta see me than!! but this is a lot of hard work, sometimes disappointments, and anger. but for every victory i achieve it is pride in myself. i see pride in my families eyes too. it makes all of this worth while. i am glad i am not gaining anymore. i can look forward to getting into those smaller jeans. but even more i can wear shirts i never wore before because my upper arms didn't fit. they fit now. hip hip horray. but you don't need to much luck you have the band to help you with this journey. so my wish for you is a skinnier you so next halloween you can wear a princess outfit.

Welcome to this supportive site, from another March 2013 bandster.

Use your band to help you kick those old eating ways. Unlike a traditional diet, where you had to do it all by gritting your teeth, having a lapband is a great aid. Make sure you are adjusted to your optimal green zone, otherwise you are still just dieting. (I learned to really listen to my band and when my feeling of fullness after meals was no longer apparent, I knew it was time for a fill. This is normal as you lose your weight.)

It sounds like you are committing to working with your band to reach the goals you set for yourself prior to your surgery. Grab that motivation and don't let this fantastic tool go to waste. It really will help you do what you couldn't do on your own. You do need to do your part, as you recognize, but doing that will be a lot easier with a properly-adjusted lapband.

You are a wonderful writer, so descriptive!

Thanks for sharing your story. That's why I visit this site daily. Though I was just banded, I can read every day what works and what doesn't work. The success stories keep me motivated and the others remind me that you must be prepared to use the tool you have.

It's not too late to start working your band. It has been waiting for you.

as long as you continue to try....you are a success story

a persons WLS journey differs from one to the other....you do what

works for you and lose at your pace..there is not expiration on getting healthy..

day in and day out....you can do it...wonderful post to read :)

With lapband, as in life, it is never too late to turn yourself around! Best wishes, maybe start with a fill if you haven't had one recently! Happy New Year,and new you in 2014! Karen..aka..kll724

This is a great post! Super inspiration to start my day. . . . :)

You are smart to join this site...it's kept me on track and put me back on track more times than I care to admit. You can do this!

Thank you to all who responded with your kind and inspiring words of support. I am still figuring out how to navigate this site, and am unsure how to reply individually?! (Clearly, I am new to using social media as an outlet!) ^_^ I am so grateful for the wake up call--- I don't have to be alone in this anymore! Being snowed in in the Chicago burbs and using the down time to glean from the vast array of knowledge that exists here has given me a renewed sense of hope and commitment to my original goals. I can't believe I've waited so long (talk about BABY steps!!) but am thankful to finally be here to not only receive the support I so desperately have been lacking in the last several months, but to offer that same support and encouragement in return. Looking forward to my new, if somewhat delayed, journey here!

I am new to the site as well but want to tell you from someone who has struggled as well, dont give up!! We are here to support each othr.

Thank you! I agree 100%...though I am new here too, I am learning that supporting each other here is a vital component to getting or staying on track :)

Good luck to getting back on track.

First time here. I just get banded today. I feel great

Oh wow! That's awesome : ) Hope you are feeling well, and welcome to what I hope will be a positive, fulfilling, life-changing experience for you!

I was banded 12/10. Lost 20 lbs right away between the pre op diet and being afraid to eat. Then I got stuck. Plateau'd for 3 weeks as the swelling subsided and I could eat more. I didn't gain but it was so frustrating. Now suddenly I am losing again. Really have to concentrate on what and how much I am eating. I get my first fill next week. Down 26 lbs total so far. Yes, it is hard and frustrating, but it is such a relief to be losing weight and not gaining it. It's just a daily struggle to eat right and healthy. But I'm doing it! Thank you to all who are on this site. Very reassuring and helpful. Xoxo