Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My latest love: Fruit-Infused Water

(Picture at: http://sleevers.wordpress.com/2014/01/03/my-latest-love-fruit-infused-water/)

A lot of sleevers have trouble ingesting plain Water at first. So we replaced our old water habit with a Propel zero and G2 habit. But by the time you drink the fake sugars in 64 oz of those a day, it’s not really all that great for you is it?

So I resorted to making fruit-infused water. It’s really so easy I want to kick myself for not trying this before. At first I thought I needed fancy equipment but it turns out, you really don’t. Sure you could buy one of the cutsie bottles with a core made specifically for infusing fruit. Or you could do what I did, which is take a big ole Rubbermaid jug, put in some water, and throw in some fruit. Voila! Fancy schmancy fruit infused water! See my low-tech version in this picture? Don’t pour the fruit into the glass like I did, that was just to make it pretty, just for you :) Leave the fruit in the jug.

My first “recipe” was half a lemon, 1 lime, and 1 orange sliced thin into 64 ounces of water. I put it in the fridge for 2 hours and it provided a wonderful tang to the water, with no fake sugar. I was happy to discover that it “sits” well with the sleeve too. Each time I pour out a cup, I fill the jug back with water. Three days from the day I first made it, I will pour it out, throw away the fruit, and start over.

Here are some the combinations that I think I want to try

• Peach & Ginger
  • Orange & Mint
  • Peach and Sage
  • Blueberries & Watermelon
  • Cucumber & honeydew melon
  • Raspberry & lemon
  • Grapefruit & Mint
  • Orange & Rosemary
  • Pomegranate & Lime
  • Apple & Cinnamon stick
  • Ginger & Pear
  • Blackberries & Mint
  • Mango & Ginger
  • Watermelon & Basil

What combinations sound good to you?

I have been doing this with lemons..To bring my ph up and acid down..never thought of trying other ones....Thanks GG

such a great idea...gonna try

watermelon and lime

ginger and lemon

papaya and lime

strawberry blueberry and raspberry (costco sells it in frozen-organic)

apple and nutmeg

pineapple peach and strawberry

kiwi and apples

raspberry and cardamom

dried goji berry

strawberries and thyme

tangerine and oregano

cucumber and basil

your imagination is the limit....

watermelon and lime

ginger and lemon

papaya and lime

strawberry blueberry and raspberry (costco sells it in frozen-organic)

apple and nutmeg

pineapple peach and strawberry

kiwi and apples

raspberry and cardamom

dried goji berry

strawberries and thyme

tangerine and oregano

cucumber and basil

your imagination is the limit....

wow! Great ideas! I especially like the raspberry and cardamom idea. thank you!

Try dried fruit and such.......err, wait, that's tea!

:lol:

Orange and basil. Sooooooooo delish

Last year before sleeve I was infusing vodka with thyme, mixing with part diet ginger ale part white grapefruit, and a little pineapple.

I was also doing basil with berries and lemonade

I have done berry, lemons and basil with Water and yummy.

Try dried fruit and such.......err, wait, that's tea!

:lol:

i'm hitting the tea pretty hard too! Teavana has way too much of my money lately. Call me a slow learner but I wonder why it took me 5 months post sleeve to learn this?

Just realized, I am indeed 5 months post sleeve today! woo hoo!

Last year before sleeve I was infusing vodka with thyme, mixing with part diet ginger ale part white grapefruit, and a little pineapple.

I was also doing basil with berries and lemonade

I have done berry, lemons and basil with Water and yummy.

That sounds delish! how did you get the basil to not pour out?I chopped up some mint ribbons to add in, and they come straight out of my low-tech jar. My husband suggested using a cheesecloth bag but I don't like the idea of cloth in my jar :P

Keep them whole on the stem.

I like those big tea ball infusers for herbs and spices. Cheap and they keep the bits out of the Water.< /p>

Thank you for reminding me about this...saw my mom do this once but she had some bottle that had a screw on top.

For some reason I wasnt sure if it would work with just an open pitcher.

:)

That sounds delish! how did you get the basil to not pour out?I chopped up some mint ribbons to add in, and they come straight out of my low-tech jar. My husband suggested using a cheesecloth bag but I don't like the idea of cloth in my jar :P

I used a strainer, had a small one I bought from dollar store since I was infusing vodka. I also would put a fresh sprig or two in the glass.

My best friend actually bought me an infuser from pampered chef, I keep forgetting to use it ????

I have been using the tosani fat free syrups...raspberry, vanilla, etc...but that has been in tea mostly... maybe I'll try the raspberry in Water :)