Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i think a leak causes a lot of pain.

Hi Monique

I have not had a leak but had patients in ICU that have had one, without fail they present with the most excrutiating pain. My surgeon also told me this. It is not a mild pain, where you suspect there is something wrong, more along the tends of, "if I don't get help now , I wont make it!"

I think the fear of getting one is top of mind for all sleevers once they come out of the surgery without problems. My first question each visit was, am I safe from a leak yet?

Monique...I am one of those unfortunate people who had a leak...I had my surgery on the 6 of Nov. and on the 12th I was rushed into the hospital because i became septic...

The symptoms I had was nausea, irritability, fullness, and the one that put me over top was a temperature of 103...

I don't remember much after I went in emerg. but they took it seriously and I could not get comfortable..I was totally out of my head at the time...I laughed got mad demanded a new bed...which they gave me by the way....so sweet!!

As they wheeled me to the operating room I talked and asked questions but I remember none of that...After surgery they induced a coma because they said I would never survive the caliber of pain that my body would feel...they intended a coma for 4-5 days but I lasted 19.....

Yikes RJ'sBeginnings! I hope your lam right now?

Yikes RJ'sBeginnings! I hope your lam right now?

Nope..11 months out and I am steal dealing with the complications of WLS...That said..I am happy I did it and would go through it all again if I had to to feel this good...

182 lbs down..And feeling blessed to be here!

So sorry RJ for your misfortune but way to go with the weight loss!

Thanks for caring..The thing is that it has made me a different person and not all for the good maybe, but a new lease on life....

What's the old expression? " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger ."

How long can one get leaks after surgery? At anytime? Years down the road? Just curious. I had my surgery on the 20th and it makes me nervous

How long can one get leaks after surgery? At anytime? Years down the road? Just curious. I had my surgery on the 20th and it makes me nervous

6 weeks, though if you have one it usually shows within the first two weeks as the swelling is going down.

RJ...you really had it tough...But your weight loss is amazing!!! but what causes a leak...we dont really know...can anyone guide us..

Thank you for responding. I'm two wks out and pretty much feel great. I'm on insulin so I'm sure it take me a little longer to heal. My blood sugars are great since surgery

RJ...you really had it tough...But your weight loss is amazing!!! but what causes a leak...we dont really know...can anyone guide us..

In my case the tissue surrounding the staple died and rejected the staple....Then as the tissue started to die it opened up a space for everything that I took in leaked into my chest cavity....I started a stricture and then went septic...It happened very fast,,,

I spent 5 months in the hospital. 13 surgeries, a trachea, 19 days in a coma, had to learn to eat again ( as I ate nothing in over 6 months ) walk again, talk again, write again. I lost all my hair, my singing voice, my ability to concentrate. I have been looking after a category 5 bed sore since I was in the coma where they were only interested in saving my life so they could not turn me as they wanted to..I have a numbness in my left hand and since I am left handed it causes some difficulties. Everyday I deal with the slowness of the healing process..And so I cannot exercise and be up to speed in life like everyone else seems to be on this forum...They say it will take at least 2 years for me to totally recover....

But for me..It was a miracle that gave me a second chance at life and i am grateful for it..and regret nothing....