Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost done with my 6 month supervised diet, any advice

Jan 20 I will complete my insurance required supervised diet. What should I expect? I'm nervous and anxious. Any advise or suggestions on what's next. I know I will need to get a referral to see the surgeon and then get my eval and play the waiting game for my insurance to approve. I've checked the requirements. I can't believe it the day is almost here to finally know if I will qualify or not. I've been looking forward to this, but scared of rejection. I've lost 46 total pounds so far on the diet.

Congrats on the weight loss!!!

As far as what to expect on the waiting game, I don't have any idea what to tell you. From what I have read on here, it seems to be all over the map on how this goes. My process doesn't seem to match any that I have read so far. I had met the surgeon and done all of the pre-requisites by the time my approval request went in. Due to switching doctors and clinics and an illness, I actually had approval for awhile before surgery.

I wish you the best!

Thanks, I've been wanting this surgery for a long time but according to my primary I wouldn't qualify. I went to a seminar and meet with another dr and he said I would and placed me on the diet plan. I'm anxious , since I've read a lot of post and they all have met with the surgeon prior. The MD that oversees the medical diet said he would send a referral to the surgeon and I would just wait so I'm hoping his correct, since my primary MD isn't to thrilled with me taking " The easy way out" I've been obese all my life and on my mother side all woman or morbidly obese. I want to stop the cycle and be happy in my skin. I want to be healthy and live life. This is a tool, not the easy way out . I'm anxiously waiting to finish classes then see what happens.

Jan 20 I will complete my insurance required supervised diet. What should I expect? I'm nervous and anxious. Any advise or suggestions on what's next. I know I will need to get a referral to see the surgeon and then get my eval and play the waiting game for my insurance to approve. I've checked the requirements. I can't believe it the day is almost here to finally know if I will qualify or not. I've been looking forward to this, but scared of rejection. I've lost 46 total pounds so far on the diet.

Mirabb2002,

Congrats on completion of your 6 month diet and your weight loss so far. That is phenomenal. I saw my doctor throughout my medically supervised diet.. During that time I also had to get an approval letter from my primary care physician for surgery, insurance company also required a psychiatric evaluation. My doctor performed an endoscopy. It was discovered my lapband had prolapsed during the endoscopy so I had to also have a motility study performed. During this time I also had lab work about two weeks before surgery, chest x-ray and an EKG. My doctor's office also has a class where you are given instructions specific to your surgery for your pre and post-op diet. I didn't have to have a sleep study performed since I had one in August of 2012.

Thanks for your story. It's encouraging knowing I'm not alone. I know this is a long journey but it's worth it. I have sleep apnea and high blood pressure. I'm hoping with the studies that where completed prior (EKG , blood work , fatty liver) to starting the medically supervised diet I was a good candidate. It's just nerve wrecking since I don't have support from my primary. But hoping for the best I know this will happen. According to my calculations I should get a date for March begun of April. Keep your fingers crossed

If you can't get support from your PCP, you might ask your bariatric surgeon for a referral to a more weight loss surgery friendly doctor. Since it's early January this will give you time to establish a doctor patient relationship.

Sounds to me like you have several comorbidities and this is not good Healthwise but helps with insurance approval. My insurance required a minimum BMI of 35 with at least 1 comorbidity or a BMI or 40 or greater with no comorbidities.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you and good luck.

If you can't get support from your PCP, you might ask your bariatric surgeon for a referral to a more weight loss surgery friendly doctor. Since it's early January this will give you time to establish a doctor patient relationship.

Sounds to me like you have several comorbidities and this is not good Healthwise but helps with insurance approval. My insurance required a minimum BMI of 35 with at least 1 comorbidity or a BMI or 40 or greater with no comorbidities.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you and good luck.

Out of curiosity what insurance provider do you have?

My insurance was through United Health Care, but my employer has Optum review and approve all bariatric surgery requests. If you go online to your insurance company website and look at coverage and benefits you may be able to see what they require.

If you can't get support from your PCP, you might ask your bariatric surgeon for a referral to a more weight loss surgery friendly doctor. Since it's early January this will give you time to establish a doctor patient relationship. Sounds to me like you have several comorbidities and this is not good Healthwise but helps with insurance approval. My insurance required a minimum BMI of 35 with at least 1 comorbidity or a BMI or 40 or greater with no comorbidities. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and good luck.

Thanks i have thought if that and will do that if necessary. I'm going to schedule an appointment with my primary. Hopefully she will see how I'm improving and doing the surgery can only help my Health. If not I'll change MD and stay with the MD that is supervising my weight loss since he is family practice as well. Thank you again for your support.

My PCP was the one who recommended me looking at WLS. I, initially, told her she was off her rocker! But since I have so much respect for her, I did some homework and we discussed it at every turn. It's a very long convoluted story from start to surgery one week ago today - but she has been my BIGGEST cheerleader all the way! I am so happy for that first conversation we had about WLS. She could see the struggles I had with continually riding that weight loss roller coaster. I am sorry for you that your PCP is so short sighted!

My PCP was the one who recommended me looking at WLS. I, initially, told her she was off her rocker! But since I have so much respect for her, I did some homework and we discussed it at every turn. It's a very long convoluted story from start to surgery one week ago today - but she has been my BIGGEST cheerleader all the way! I am so happy for that first conversation we had about WLS. She could see the struggles I had with continually riding that weight loss roller coaster. I am sorry for you that your PCP is so short sighted!

Thanks for your support and story. I wished mines would understand and see it for what it really is. I've tried anything and everything. I lose an gain all of it and more. I'm crossing my fingers all will turn out. Thanks again and best wishes on your journey I'll keep you in the loop once I go through the process which I can't wait to get an answer.

My PCP was the one who referred me for bariatric surgery...i too thought she was nuts....but after reading every book I could find, I now know she was so right.

She was very particular about which surgeon to do the surgery...sent me to Dr.Gluck Life Without Limits program, which is an accredited Bariatric Center of Excellence with extremely low complication percentages.

We'll my surgery went well,I am home chilling now not a lot of pain just some gas in the stomach but other that that I am good. I am so glad I had it done

We'll my surgery went well,I am home chilling now not a lot of pain just some gas in the stomach but other that that I am good. I am so glad I had it done

congrats I'm glad you are recovering well